The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone else find social media boring?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
I don't mean as a business/marketing tool. For that I can understand its use.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about social media.

I'm in my late 20s.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
You're not alone, I'm 31 and also don't care and never cared.

Maybe we don't like to show off?

P. S. I do have a LinkedIn profile and answer most messages there, also have a facebook profile made only for watching videos and that's all.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
You're not alone. It is absolutely awful. I'm 26 and I'm so tired of it.

It's a world full of fake people where context doesn't matter. It's no wonder young people are more likely to be depressed and have anxiety.

You just scroll through your feed aimlessly. You're like a zombie.

Thing is, we think we are getting updates from our feeds, but the reality is our brain is just looking for a hit of sweet, sweet dopamine and social media is the source. Every time you scroll you get a hit of it. You know when you pick up your phone to look on facebook for 20 seconds for no real reason and then close your phone... that's your brain seeking a hit of dopamine.

Delete social media from your phone and you will find yourself reacting somewhat confused because your brain no longer knows where to get dopamine from. You unlock your phone and you're like 'oh... right, yeah... ah, uhm...' After a week you don't really think about it anymore.

Deleting social media from my phone last month was a great thing. I'm not going to act like I'm now a super human but I don't waste as much time as I used to. I still have it on my computer, and after a few minutes I realise how bad it is and I go back to focusing on something a more important. Wish I deleted it years ago.

That turned into a mini-rant... Apologies. But yes, to conclude, social media is stoopid.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
You're not alone, I'm 31 and also don't care and never cared.

Maybe we don't like to show off?

Yeah, maybe? I just don't see why I should spend my time posting images or words about myself for no purpose other than for people to like it or provide an unnecessary comment. It's the ultimate waste of time. Give me a specific topic to discuss and that's fun and interesting.

Instagram is the one that really gets me. I remember thinking when it came out.. "Why would I care about looking at small square images that scroll down?"

I am a member of an extreme minority it seems :rofl:

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
I am a member of an extreme minority it seems
A minority of people who value their time and don't need regular dopamine dozes from otherwise useless activities.

Where's the world going? :eek:

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
Thing is, we think we are getting updates from our feeds, but the reality is our brain is just looking for a hit of sweet, sweet dopamine and social media is the source. Every time you scroll you get a hit of it. You know when you pick up your phone to look on facebook for 20 seconds for no real reason and then close your phone... that's your brain seeking a hit of dopamine.

Delete social media from your phone and you will find yourself reacting somewhat confused because your brain no longer knows where to get dopamine from. You unlock your phone and you're like 'oh... right, yeah... ah, uhm...' After a week you don't really think about it anymore.

I've never experienced this so called "dopamine" effect. I find constant notifications and ding ding dings endlessly frustrating. Also people saying "how can I keep in contact with you without social media?"

... uhhh. Talk to me??!?! Remember that..... thing??!?!

Maybe everyone has really low self esteem and needs constant validation from people who most likely actually don't give a sh*t about them.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
It's totally boring, but I think people use it either to live vicariously through others, or to get positive feedback signals so that they can convince themselves they're "doing it right." Whatever "it" is.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
A minority of people who value their time and don't need regular dopamine dozes from otherwise useless activities.

Where's the world going? :eek:
^ bwahaha love this so much

It is a real concern.........

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
I think people use it either to live vicariously through others, or to get positive feedback signals so that they can convince themselves they're "doing it right." Whatever "it" is.

Yeah, you're probably right with this point here. I guess a larger issue here in that there is no clearly defined "doing it right" in life anymore... so that is why validation is sought.

Entrepreneurs embrace this aspect of modern day life whereas the majority of others find it confronting and/or confusing.

This just points to a much larger issue...

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Also people saying "how can I keep in contact with you without social media?"

... uhhh. Talk to me??!?! Remember that..... thing??!?!
LinkedIn is not that bad. You get notifications for messages on email, so no time spent checking it. Noticed that they have a feed too only a few weeks ago :rofl:.

I'm using messengers like Slack, Viber, and Telegram a lot. Pretty much all groups/chats are muted there, but it's still pretty convenient for discussing everything and having a history. Of course, a call is more effective, especially for an urgent one-to-one conversation.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
LinkedIn is not that bad. You get notifications for messages on email, so no time spent checking it. Noticed that they have a feed too only a few weeks ago :rofl:.

I'm using messengers like Slack, Viber, and Telegram a lot. Pretty much all groups/chats are muted there, but it's still pretty convenient for discussing everything and having a history. Of course, a call is more effective, especially for an urgent one-to-one conversation.
I have been meaning to set up a LinkedIn account, but I just hate social media so much I never looked into it in great detail.

How would you recommend finding interesting groups to join via Slack or Telegram for initiating discussions?

I've only ever used Slack for work and Telegram for Instagram marketing stuff lol

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
How would you recommend finding interesting groups to join via Slack or Telegram for initiating discussions?

I've only ever used Slack for work and Telegram for Instagram marketing stuff lol
I am using them only for work and communication with friends&family and with others who I know in real life.

There should be interesting groups out there, but joining them would be pretty much the same as reading through social media feed, no? 1000+ messages a day, everything chronological so hard to find only those worth time reading. It's like making one thread of the whole forum... Would be a complete mess.

I am subscribed to two channels in Telegram that post major news/analytics a few times a day. Found them on their web site that I was visiting regularly anyway, so that's a time-saver.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
There should be interesting groups out there, but joining them would be pretty much the same as reading through social media feed, no? 1000+ messages a day, everything chronological so hard to find only those worth time reading. It's like making one thread of the whole forum... Would be a complete mess.

Ahhh, this is exactly what I was thinking but I thought you were suggesting it as an alternative to Insta/FB or something.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
People only post their life "highlights" and that's all we see. It's all BS.

I really try to avoid most social media if I can, but sometimes it's fun.

If you just accept that most of what you see if total BS, you'll be just fine

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Leaving social media for a week last week when I went for a short holiday.......was liberating.

It feels like I've come back to living in the real world, instead of a fantastical world where everyone is on some sun-soaked beach with always-happy-vibes eating some vegan smoothie while wearing yoga leggings.

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
YES! It is boring.
If I wasn't using it to my advantage, I would delete it.

Years ago, I deleted my social media accounts for around 3 years. When I got back on, I knew why I was doing it. I had learned about more about myself and the world. I knew how I could use social media to my personal advantage (it's not a monetary objective).

So now I continue to use social media for my own purposes. But if it wasn't fulfilling my agenda, I wouldn't have it at all.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 10, 2019
YES! It is boring.
If I wasn't using it to my advantage, I would delete it.

Years ago, I deleted my social media accounts for around 3 years. When I got back on, I knew why I was doing it. I had learned about more about myself and the world. I knew how I could use social media to my personal advantage (it's not a monetary objective).

So now I continue to use social media for my own purposes. But if it wasn't fulfilling my agenda, I wouldn't have it at all.

I love this! I agree social media can be so useful if it is for a purpose but so many people don't approach it from that angle. You make a really excellent point.

Also, hello fellow Aussie! :)

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
I love this! I agree social media can be so useful if it is for a purpose but so many people don't approach it from that angle. You make a really excellent point.

Also, hello fellow Aussie! :)

Woohoo! Stoked to see another Aussie here! And, hey - I see we've both recently joined!
I'm still getting the hang of this forum. I've never used anything like it.

I see social media as a drain that people pour their time and emotion into - often with little to no pay off. Without being conscious of a reason for being on there, it can easily leave one susceptible to some nasty side-effects. So absolutely I use it (and honestly, more than I'd like to admit!) - but I definitely know WHY.

From time to time I notice that the drawbacks outweigh the benefits (eg, If I catch myself mindlessly scrolling or suddenly noticing that an hour has passed whilst perusing LinkedIn) - I delete the apps for a bit. I don't need to get dopamine hits in this way!

Tha Juice

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 22, 2018
I'm a 22(M). Deleted every single social media account I had about 3-4 years ago. People thought I was crazy lol. The only thing that I kept was LinkedIn, because I use that strictly for business purposes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone have any comments or thoughts on this?

Maybe you're not following the right accounts?

My IG feed has all kinds of great information that makes me seek out new information and see things in a perspective that I might have not thought of before. In fact, Id say a big contributor to me going vegan was the information and perspective shifts I found on Instagram.

That said, I'm not on it longer than a few minutes per day.

And when I see "lifestyle posts" of stupid shit, I quickly unfollow.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
In fact, Id say a big contributor to me going vegan was the information and perspective shifts I found on Instagram.

tenor.gif

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I am 27 years old and I have never really used social media. I just checked my FB account, my profile pic is from 2012, my last post was on the 4th of june 2018, and it was a shared post I found funny. I post about twice a year. My Twitter account has maybe 15 posts total, and I don't even log into it anymore, and Instagram is on the same boat.

Instagram is the only exception, I just quickly go on to watch the daily video a certain account I follow posts, I don't scroll through my feed except when I am EXTREMELY bored and I have 5 minutes to kill, which happens less than 2 times per week.

I must say, the big red notification icon is super addicting to me, if I see any notification I quickly go and check it. This happens for WhatsApp, Telegram, Discord, and even regular SMS. Hell, I check notifications instantly when I get them on here. Big and red = you have got my attention! Luckily, not many people talk to me privately through my phone, because if that was the case, I'd have to get rid of these programs entirely.

Discord has been the biggest problem for me in recent years I must say, and I am trying to tone it down. I don't just keep it open all day (despite the fact I sit at my pc for most of the day). I still use it way too much, I'm working on reducing my time on it.

I just don't care.

My best friend does not have a Facebook or Instagram account, and a lot of my closer friends also don't use social media that much, maybe that contributed to my low interest on them? Who knows.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Yeh years ago I "blocked" updates on FB from everyone except my wife , so now my feed is just stuff from groups and advertisements.

Reddits great if you have lots of free time to argue with strangers.

Never understood twitter, "wow! short shallow quips from celebrities, now my lifes complete"

facebook is trash for business too, all the groups is just the blind leading the blind , I still have an account though because its a rolodex of contact info for 95% of people I have or ever will meet so it serves its function.

too old for snapchat, whatsapp is useful to send kid pics to family

linkedin...I'll save judgement for when I actually have a business that needs it for netowkring.

I tried setting up an RSS feed for topics of interest and holy crap it was an overwhelming retch of information. Lots of it trash.

a little orthagonal to our discussion but I remember before content was monetized online and if you wanted pragmatic actionable information on a topic and googled for it you'd find someone passionate about whatever it was just laying it out like a human dictionary. Now you have to sieve through 20 blog posts to get 3 pieces of info.

Like for recipe sites I understand how they have to game googles algo and have the top 2/3rds of the page be a background story and pictures, thats fine because I know I just need to scroll down. Blogs though? some of them have little useful nuggets but I have tio skim the whole garbage heap to find it.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I must say, the big red notification icon is super addicting to me, if I see any notification I quickly go and check it. This happens for WhatsApp, Telegram, Discord, and even regular SMS. Hell, I check notifications instantly when I get them on here. Big and red = you have got my attention!

Thanks for the insight. I can already see how to make use of this to engage with visitors.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
There's so much interesting stuff, to be able to see footage and read the story of someone like Jeremy Jones snowboarding in Alaska is absolutely amazing. Why follow people you don't find interesting? Why would you do that in person?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Everything except for Twitter is boring for me.

If I didn't need a Facebook account for ads - I wouldn't be on Facebook either.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Discord has been the biggest problem for me in recent years I must say, and I am trying to tone it down. I don't just keep it open all day (despite the fact I sit at my pc for most of the day). I still use it way too much, I'm working on reducing my time on it.

Ah yes, I get sucked into discord sometimes too. Thing is, you can join a server that's just for something you're interested in. Or... 8 servers. Then you end up on discord all day, for better or worse.

Still a long shot better than something like facebook for me, because a good discord server, like a good forum, usually has things that you can't do there. Eg: dumb political flame wars, fantasy lifestyle posting, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.