The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dodged a bullet by NOT following my "passion"

wallacejonathank

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 20, 2022
Philadelphia
I just got done reading Chapter 29 of Unscripted (The wonder twins of epically bad life advice), and it got me thinking about how I dodged a bullet early in my career. When I graduated four years ago, I thought I wanted to work in sports marketing because the sports industry was my "passion." I had visions of working for the hometown Philadelphia Eagles and stuffing my face with cheesesteaks all day. It wasn't until I started networking with people in the sports industry that I found out the industry was not for me.

The people I talked to told me about how they worked long hours with low pay in the sports world. A guy I spoke to who worked for the Dallas Cowboys hated the fact that he couldn't be with his family on Thanksgiving because he had to be at work. Since so many people want to work in the sports industry, the turnover is massive.

I currently work in the healthcare industry, which is paying me a good salary to help me grow my business. On Glassdoor, I found out that the same position I have in healthcare pays around $25k less in the sports industry (I work in email marketing).

Has anybody had any Neo-esque moments of dodging passion bullets? Have any of you worked in the sports industry?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Almost any passion can be turned into a fastlane venture.

The problem is not choosing the wrong field, but having the wrong approach and using the wrong method.

Let's take as an example the fitness / sports industry:
  • trying to become a pro athlete in a very popular sport
  • trying to become a pro athlete in a sport that nobody cares about
  • trying to become an Olympian
  • being a personal trainer
  • selling training programs to the masses
  • starting a sports supplements brand
  • opening 10 gyms
  • creating a fitness app

Same industry, different strategies, different implementations, very different outcomes.

There is nothing wrong with following your passion, as long as it is backed up by a very solid financial strategy.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.