The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I dodged a bullet.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
This touches on several subjects so I hope it belongs here.

The Diagnosis.

I was recently diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. This is a fairly common disease that many people don’t know they have. It can be a killer though... so men, especially if you're over 40....Get your Iron checked !!!

My body has a defective gene (Hemochromatosis) and it doesn’t regulate Iron uptake. Iron gets stored up and goes into ‘overload’. Stored everywhere and in all organs.... my Doc said, "It's like rust. Little things start to go wrong...then break... and eventually you fall apart (die)." To get the Iron out, I had 2 Phlebotomies (they take out a pint of blood at each session).

In addition to the iron build up, my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit were off the chart (think blood clots and strokes). Losing the blood also lowered these.

So now...I'm good...actually better than good....I feel better than I've felt in years … and I didn’t feel bad ! I just have to get blood draws every 3 wks to monitor for a while and get Phlebotomies as needed . Basically....I dodged a bullet. The cross hairs were on my head... the trigger pulled... the bullet on it's way....and I moved….. just in time.

Life is about experiences.

Knowing the possible outcomes of my tests (One was Cancer) challenged me. I know Worry is a waste of energy. Even so....I'm only human.

My faith was also challenged...but I stand strong.

I had blood drawn from an artery in my wrist….yea...that hurt like Hell ! I had 2 IV’s stuck in me at once for an hour. I was injected with a radioactive ‘tracer’. I had more blood draws in two weeks than I’ve had my entire life. I had ultrasounds of every organ. I’m a pretty tough guy so all this was fine.....not fun, but fine. It was difficult because I’ve always been healthy and I wasn’t used to all this.

The Cancer Center.

My Hematologist (blood doctor) works out of a Cancer Center. I've never stepped foot inside a cancer center before. This was a very, very moving experience for me. There are a LOT of sick people out there. If I were to see some of these people on the street, I wouldn’t know they have cancer….others….it is obvious.

My Phlebotomies were done in a large room where other patients were receiving treatment for their disease. Their children, Husbands and Wives were with them. One patient's Sister had been by her side for a month (she took work off..no pay). One patient was a 22 year old girl....her Mother sat with her, holding her hand. She covered her with a blanket from home to help keep her warm.

My Wife said to me, ”Oh, it was depressing.” No…..it wasn’t. There was a LOT of love there. It was clear to me that much of the staff loved what they did. I saw it in their eyes...in the way they looked at and talked with patients...the way they helped them.

The patients were all ages, all ethnic backgrounds, all levels of financial status…...and no one cared about any of that. They were so nice, so polite, so real. It was amazing to me.

Everyone was hanging on to life. Fighting.

Compassion…

Because of my experience, my level of compassion has risen to a level I’ve never before experienced. I filled out an application online to volunteer in any way I can at that Cancer Center. Today I got a call. After a lengthy conversation, I was told someone would call me soon to start the process of becoming a Spiritual Counselor. I am honored.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Well said, man! And congrats on getting a good diagnosis. :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Iwokeup Thanks Doc. I thought of you a few times because I ran across a pretty big problem being a patient. I'll PM you...maybe there's something there for you fix.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Regular blood donations are actually believed to quite beneficial for men. Iron comes in but does not get out of our bodies easily. When we were in med school one of our professors said he believed that a lot of increased life expectancy for women over men was because they are always losing blood, and hence losing iron.

I do not know that this has been studied, since it would be a very long study to conduct (think like 50 years or longer), but I've always hedged my bet that this is true.

His suggestion for men was to only take multivitamins without iron, unless you don't eat meat. And to donate blood regularly, don't remember specifically but I think he said every 3 months or more.

Blood donation = elective phlebotomy.

@Bigguns50 I'm glad you caught it early and got the care you needed.

Please note: this is NOT intended to be and should not be considered medical advice for anyone, I am just relaying an experience from medical school. Obviously the appropriateness of this may be different for different people, and you should consult with your personal doctor to see if it's appropriate for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm not following the science here.
If you draw x amount of blood, isn't the percentage of bad stuff the same in the remaining supply?
Are they adding a "filler" to dilute the blood?

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
John. The problem is a build up of iron stores in the body. It's not the amount of iron in the blood per se, as this is regulated by various systems in your body. But the excess iron is deposited or stored in organs like the liver.

It takes iron to create new red blood cells, this iron is pulled from the iron stores in the body.

There are proteins in the blood that also bind to free iron. When you have proteins that are not filled with iron it helps draw iron from other places.

Think of it like fat. If you eat too many calories your body stores those excess calories as fat. If you decrease your calorie intake your body starts accessing those fat stores.

Iron doesn't quite work the same way, since it's hard to decrease the intake low enough. But removing blood is basically equivalent to Lipo, it's reducing the total quantity of iron so other iron has to be drawn from body stores to create new red blood cells.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
John. The problem is a build up of iron stores in the body.

It takes iron to create new red blood cells, this iron is pulled from the iron stores in the body.

There are proteins in the blood that also bind to free iron. When you have proteins that are not filled with iron it helps draw iron from other places.

Thing of it like fat. If you eat too many calories your body stores those excess calories as fat. If you decrease your calorie intake your body starts accessing those fat stores.

Iron doesn't quite work the same way, since it's hard to decrease the intake low enough. But removing blood is basically equivalent to Lipo, it's reducing the total quantity of iron do it has to be drawn from other stores to create new red blood cells.

So it's the simple quantity not PPM?

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
The big thing is total body iron, because the body can move iron between tissues and blood. The amount of iron is increased everywhere in hemochromatosis.

But, we test the blood because it's easy and low risk.

The ppm in the blood will be higher than normal (it's called total iron though because iron is largely bound to proteins not free in the blood), but it is just the tip of the iceberg, and is how hemochromatosis is picked up to begin with.

Because there are stores of iron outside of the bloodstream, and iron can deposit into pretty much all your tissues. In the pancreas this leads to diabetes, in the heart heart disease, in the liver cirrhosis, etc.

The actual disease hemochromatosis is largely genetic as I recall. So it is a breakdown of the normal systems.

Even if men do not have abnormally high iron, iron itself is related to free radical production, and free radicals are related to lots of things including cancer.

But many men have excess iron (or at least high normal) because we don't lose blood every month, and although the levels of iron are not nearly as great as in hemochromatosis, some of the increase in things like heart disease in men compared to women seems to be related to the higher iron load men have compared to women.

In Fact if you look at heart disease in women it increased substantially after menopause, many believe this is because or at least related in some part to not losing blood (I.e. Iron) monthly.

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@GIlman ... excellent explanation and examples ! I hope enough men here take this Iron thing seriously and just get it checked with their next physical.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
After many weeks, and 5 Phlebotomies, all my numbers are good. I go for another blood draw in 4 days to check again .(my last check was 2.5 wks ago). It was pretty cool walking out of the Center with all my blood.

I also received a call back from Beaumont Hospital Volunteer Services. I will be attending some orientations and meeting with the Priest that heads the Spiritual Advisor arm of the services.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Just a note. I have a 3 month hiatus from blood draws. I'm in what's called the "Maintenance mode". They'll probably have to thin me out again but everyone's different as to how often they need a phylebotamy. I feel good, training is good and "Life is Good".

I had a 2 hr orientation at the Beaumont hospital here for volunteer work. It's a long, detailed process but I'm looking forward to doing it.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
This touches on several subjects so I hope it belongs here.

The Diagnosis.

I was recently diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. This is a fairly common disease that many people don’t know they have. It can be a killer though... so men, especially if you're over 40....Get your Iron checked !!!

My body has a defective gene (Hemochromatosis) and it doesn’t regulate Iron uptake. Iron gets stored up and goes into ‘overload’. Stored everywhere and in all organs.... my Doc said, "It's like rust. Little things start to go wrong...then break... and eventually you fall apart (die)." To get the Iron out, I had 2 Phlebotomies (they take out a pint of blood at each session).

In addition to the iron build up, my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit were off the chart (think blood clots and strokes). Losing the blood also lowered these.

So now...I'm good...actually better than good....I feel better than I've felt in years … and I didn’t feel bad ! I just have to get blood draws every 3 wks to monitor for a while and get Phlebotomies as needed . Basically....I dodged a bullet. The cross hairs were on my head... the trigger pulled... the bullet on it's way....and I moved….. just in time.

Life is about experiences.

Knowing the possible outcomes of my tests (One was Cancer) challenged me. I know Worry is a waste of energy. Even so....I'm only human.

My faith was also challenged...but I stand strong.

I had blood drawn from an artery in my wrist….yea...that hurt like Hell ! I had 2 IV’s stuck in me at once for an hour. I was injected with a radioactive ‘tracer’. I had more blood draws in two weeks than I’ve had my entire life. I had ultrasounds of every organ. I’m a pretty tough guy so all this was fine.....not fun, but fine. It was difficult because I’ve always been healthy and I wasn’t used to all this.

The Cancer Center.

My Hematologist (blood doctor) works out of a Cancer Center. I've never stepped foot inside a cancer center before. This was a very, very moving experience for me. There are a LOT of sick people out there. If I were to see some of these people on the street, I wouldn’t know they have cancer….others….it is obvious.

My Phlebotomies were done in a large room where other patients were receiving treatment for their disease. Their children, Husbands and Wives were with them. One patient's Sister had been by her side for a month (she took work off..no pay). One patient was a 22 year old girl....her Mother sat with her, holding her hand. She covered her with a blanket from home to help keep her warm.

My Wife said to me, ”Oh, it was depressing.” No…..it wasn’t. There was a LOT of love there. It was clear to me that much of the staff loved what they did. I saw it in their eyes...in the way they looked at and talked with patients...the way they helped them.

The patients were all ages, all ethnic backgrounds, all levels of financial status…...and no one cared about any of that. They were so nice, so polite, so real. It was amazing to me.

Everyone was hanging on to life. Fighting.

Compassion…

Because of my experience, my level of compassion has risen to a level I’ve never before experienced. I filled out an application online to volunteer in any way I can at that Cancer Center. Today I got a call. After a lengthy conversation, I was told someone would call me soon to start the process of becoming a Spiritual Counselor. I am honored.

There is a story on ESPN about a guy that's just like you, except he is a greenbay packer's season ticket holder and they did a short story on him, by Rick Reilly nonetheless, you should check it out.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Just a short update.

3 Months and 3 weeks since my last Phlebotomy. I had an Iron Study, among other things, done Friday. I have a follow up w/ my Doc this Friday. The results are complicated and as much reading and studying that I've done, I'm a bit confused. Seems quit complicated.

Iron / Ferritin is low...just 5 points below normal but damn have I felt it ! Tired, tired, tired. Hemoglobin is good, as is Hematocrit.

Damn hard to push forward but I'm doing everything I can to feel as good as I can. No quitting.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Congratulations on having the 'fighter-gene'. One theory of the mutation is that it was previously beneficial since you could recover faster from a blood loss(after fighting saber tooth tigers or other enemies) because of the iron stored.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Congratulations on having the 'fighter-gene'.
Thanks ! I've read the same theory. Makes sense.

You know....my Hematologist wants my numbers to be as close to perfect as possible. Good intentions. But....this human body is one complex machine and everyone's different. I think maybe, the numbers are a good guideline ( they have ranges ) but I'm not convinced we should aim for perfection. Maybe my Hemoglobin for my body is suppose to be right in the middle of the range, or slightly above....not the low end which is what she was trying to hit. Anyway, I'll find out more Friday.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Back from the Doctor's and all is good (As the choir in the background sings " Hallelujah " ).

I don't care how old or young you are. I don't care how "in shape" you think you are.

Don't be a pussy and GET YOUR F*ckING PHYSICAL already !!

Traveling Morgue

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 3, 2014
Indiana

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Traveling Morgue . Yes Sir. Of course....with almost everything, there are consequences. My Iron is now low, which means I am fatigued most of the time. But guess what ?

I don't care !

Seriously. It's a manageable disease. And of course there's

COFFEE ! :wideyed:

Biggest lesson learned this past year is ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE AT ANY TIME. Period. No one is exempt. The worse thing you can do is think you are.

Make today count !!!!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hey @Kung Fu Steve .... I found myself educating my Doctor today at the end of my visit. Three times I've seen her and 3 times she's mentioned about not being able to loose weight and get in shape. I spewed out setting a Goal, Focusing, Visualizing,....and more. She took it in and thanked me. Cool moment.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Hey @Kung Fu Steve .... I found myself educating my Doctor today at the end of my visit. Three times I've seen her and 3 times she's mentioned about not being able to loose weight and get in shape. I spewed out setting a Goal, Focusing, Visualizing,....and more. She took it in and thanked me. Cool moment.

I have mixed feelings about this. While it's cool you're helping her... your doctor shouldn't be fat.

You maaaaaaaaaayy want to look for a healthy doctor. Just sayin'...

But I'm glad you're staying on top of your health and helping others!!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I didn't mean to imply she's fat. I couldn't tell because of the lab coat so I don't think she's obese....just not happy with her body.

Thanks...helping is good.

Hahaha you had me worried!

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I have mixed feelings about this. While it's cool you're helping her... your doctor shouldn't be fat.

You maaaaaaaaaayy want to look for a healthy doctor. Just sayin'...
Ha Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've found it challenging to take advice from a medical professional that is obviously overweight, a smoker, or has poor oral hygiene, etc. If their medical advice is truly valuable, why wouldn't they be applying it to their own lives? I suppose they're only human after all...

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Ha Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've found it challenging to take advice from a medical professional that is obviously overweight, a smoker, or has poor oral hygiene, etc. If their medical advice is truly valuable, why wouldn't they be applying it to their own lives? I suppose they're only human after all...

I actually have...4 different Doctors. She's the only one with a weight issue....and that issue is really a symptom of another problem/s, obviously.

My primary care physician has been into bodybuilding and health for many years. He's also a philanthropist. I love talking with him. His number one priority is helping people. His second priority is 'keeping the lights on'. And from what I've seen.....he does VERY well financially. Funny how that works right ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.