The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you value money?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Do you value money...or do you value avoiding poverty?

I'm not sure I can fully realize my fastlane project without valuing money more. I have always valued avoiding poverty more (through my actions not necessarily what I tell myself everyday).

What does valuing money mean to you?

What are some ways to value money more? (not for greed/lust just as a tool)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Avoiding poverty. Money to me is value. If I want more value out of life, I need more money, and if I want more money, I need to provide more value.

When I started my quest I wanted a Ferrari. While I acknowledge that it would be cool, I think I would need to have a lottttt of money to justify buying one. I'm not sure if this was a quote from MJ's book or where I heard it, but I remember someone wealthy once talking about how you can't really "afford" something unless you can buy it like you'd buy a pack of gum. Zero second thoughts, zero influence on your freedom in your day to day life.

I think a lot of people as they get further in their journey end up this way, valuing the freedom, happiness, and life over material possessions.

Don't break your glasses by spending your freedom away! Who gets this reference? haha
Burgess_Meredith_Twilight_Zone_Time_Enough_At_Last.jpg

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
When I started my quest I wanted a Ferrari. While I acknowledge that it would be cool, I think I would need to have a lottttt of money to justify buying one. I'm not sure if this was a quote from MJ's book or where I heard it, but I remember someone wealthy once talking about how you can't really "afford" something unless you can buy it like you'd buy a pack of gum. Zero second thoughts, zero influence on your freedom in your day to day life.

You are right, that's from TMF . It's one of my biggest takeaways.

That, and understanding that having a million dollars does not make you part of the fastlane. Someone that's broke but understands the value of money is more fastlane than a lottery winner who's going to piss it all away.

If anyone has any books on helping to understand the value of money, I'd love to hear them. It's one of the areas I need to improve in the most.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
If anyone has any books on helping to understand the value of money, I'd love to hear them. It's one of the areas I need to improve in the most.

Rich dad poor dad is great with this, Its the book that got me into thinking about all this stuff

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
There is this segment at a local radio station, where people send in what they earned in a month, the person who gets drawn, gets their paycheck doubled. I listened to it today and there was this lady in her 50s who won and it was revealed she was earning about $1500 a month and I was shocked to be honest.

This made me realize again what it's all about, at least for me: living a life in prosperity and abundance, a life where I can give to others, not having to say "well, there are people who have it worse". That said, I value money, as I simply like having it, makes me excited to check my bank account, to see it grow and equally as a tool to get the most out of life, as a means of security, buying cool stuff and experience amazing things.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I value choices. I value freedom.

Therefore, whatever medium increases those options is something to be valued. At this moment, it's money. Health is also something that gives you choices and freedom. If you're sick, you no longer have choices or freedom.

In the old (and bad) movie Waterworld, "Dirt" is valued. If possessing dirt gave me opportunities for more freedom and choices, I'd value that.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
When most people have a $100k per year job with bonuses included in the package, then they're set and feel accomplished from their own perspective.

When I'm earning $30k per year and nothing else, while I'm sleeping and/or doing nothing, then I'm much happier and am very accomplished from my own perspective. I don't care about making $250k per year, while I'm slaving myself 6 days a week, 300 days per year.

To me, time is of the essence, not money.

JPBB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
SI - to follow that logic, in your example would you be working 30% of the time that a person making 100k works? I'm just curious if your are comparing slowlane to slowlane timetrading OR ok-paying slow lane (100k) to residual/passive fastlane (30k).

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
SI - to follow that logic, in your example would you be working 30% of the time that a person making 100k works? I'm just curious if your are comparing slowlane to slowlane timetrading OR ok-paying slow lane (100k) to residual/passive fastlane (30k).

Hey, my point would be the latter point that you brought up: I'm comparing slowlane to passive fastlane.

I think some slowlane is okay, if a person is up for it. However, with all the tools and the knowledge that we have available today, why not take the best available option and make your life easier in the longer run? I mean, why be grey-haired and be told what to do by someone half your age, just when you can sleep and make coin, while you still have color in your hair?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So a few months ago my friend rescued this little chihuahua/miniature pincher mix. He was skinny and looked like he had been living on the street for months. Today, I was watching him and he's sitting in his cage whining cause I'm not playing with him.

Like people, dogs are the same. We forget about what we have sometimes and suddenly need more things to be happy.

When living on the street, he was probably happy just to catch a bug, find a lizard on the street, fight for food and water. Who knows where he slept and if he was cold at night. He had to survive and he's a tough little guy.

Now that he's got food and shelter taken care of, he needs more. He gets bored and just sits and stares at me, then he bugs me all day to play, wants to go on walks, etc...

This is the issue with making money. If you get to the point where you have your rent and food taken care of, you will bring to have more time on your hands. When you have time on your hands, you will want to do stuff. Most of that stuff will take even more money.

So in terms of Chaco (the dog). He no longer needs to spend all day looking for food and water. So now he's got nothing to do all day... except bug me. :) I went through this when I made just enough to pay the mortgage and my bills passively. It was certainly nice, but then I had 12 hours a day of doing nothing and I didn't quite make enough to do the things I wanted to do.

So to tie this to this thread. I'd say that your first goal is to make enough to avoid poverty. Then afterwards you make money so you can do things.

.jpg

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Everyone has a number. Once you reach it, you "know what it is like", and then you stop caring. However, valuing money for me hasn't been about numbers, so maybe I might have something for you here. It isn't money that I value, its evaluation of risk. If I can properly evaluate my risks, I can be daring, and I can say "the hell with this crap" and walk out. THAT is value. People's "time and self respect". People TRY to "get this back", by impressing family, impressing a girl, impressing themselves, impressing the world. But what they get back from those things is a big fat fist of attitude and circumstance.

You can't get self respect financially, or your time, by chasing after what everyone else wants. You need to identify CORE needs, and simplify the task at hand, so that when you are in a risky situation, you are better prepared than you otherwise would be (had you not had the skills in biz).

Life is always a risky situation (it does change its level of stress though) and if you want total control of your life, you have to recognise risk, and BS situations, so you can dance and sing your way away from them like "ha, you'll have to make the deal sweeter before I am so generous as to spend my time there".

Valuing money to me comes down to the context inwhich my own needs are being defined. And I try to avoid other people being able to define those needs for me. And to do that, you don't need money, you need to assess the risk. I'm always after confidence, stability, and greater certainty. However it is not always available to buy. And an excess of money doesn't garuntee that I will be on my toes, or that I will act right.

Most people value money, so they can be BITTER, LAZY, and spiteful. "You cheap lazy f'ers, you gave me s't and now look at you grovel back". That is the height of a failure. I value those who are "sweet, encouraging, ready, active, and desire to be fair and give people a chance". Money is about taking the world BACK from spite and pettiness, and giving encouraging individuals, a fair chance at a great job. Its about doing what you can to help the economy, help innovation, and improve lives.

Ultimately most biz guys are "too busy" to give a F*ck, but those who are really good at what they do feel this attitude on some level, and it is what helps you feel fulfilled.

In the end, happiness fades away, unless you take the time to make a change. You always enough money, when you have guts.

You always need more money when you don't know how to take back control of your life from the situations you are left desolated within. Sometimes the CRAWL is all you have. And the test, is if it breaks you or if you break back. To have the fire, to wanna stretch out, and to love life. To touch others with gold. To lift everyone up, instead of hide away in shame the rest of your life. Its a wolf calling at the moon. Its about the soul defying its confines, no matter what they are. Not seeking excess, but understanding its use in balance. Telling people of deals that make them stop for a moment and wonder in awe, cherish what they touch and live life higher for the moments they are in contact with it.

Value is my END GOAL, and money, a tool so that it might exist in balance with everything the world has to offer.

Money is my frustration, and I don't let my frustrations define who I can be.

Having money to me, is just ONE link in the chain. And without it I can't go on. But with friends, biz assosciates, and a spirit that can take the risks HEAD ON, you find what you need, and you inspire and lead your family, women, your biz and yourself to a better end.

I value integration, progress and deeper insight. When my money is "behaving", I let myself rest. When it misbehaves, I become the calmest mfer you've ever seen. I look at this big fat wall that is stopping me and I ask "how the hell will we get through?".
We need people with THAT knowledge to find us, to get the money they need, so that the bs ends.

I value my own sense of value, and count myself in on the big picture of a problem.
So I value risk management, and money factors into that, because it is a signal of being realistic or in tune with other players in the market.

And, in my experience comes down to "who can mess with me" (x y and z person)
"who can mess with me with 500x dollars" (z person)
Is z a bad guy? No? Ok, maybe I can help him with something whilst I'm doing my stuff.

Risk managed.. So now onto the next issue. And when I've met the issues, I relax a bit, and I try to take all the edge off (haven't mastered it yet), and I value money in that process because it allows me to throw parties, go out for fun, travel to meet some friends etc.

Then, after that I check my money, my biz, and the people around it, and see if we are all cool.

You can't take all the edge off, but in some ways, its a good thing to not be numb.
Drive your life like its an orange light and don't need the greens. And find peace in it.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
So a few months ago my friend rescued this little chihuahua/miniature pincher mix. He was skinny and looked like he had been living on the street for months. Today, I was watching him and he's sitting in his cage whining cause I'm not playing with him.

Like people, dogs are the same. We forget about what we have sometimes and suddenly need more things to be happy.

When living on the street, he was probably happy just to catch a bug, find a lizard on the street, fight for food and water. Who knows where he slept and if he was cold at night. He had to survive and he's a tough little guy.

Now that he's got food and shelter taken care of, he needs more. He gets bored and just sits and stares at me, then he bugs me all day to play, wants to go on walks, etc...

This is the issue with making money. If you get to the point where you have your rent and food taken care of, you will bring to have more time on your hands. When you have time on your hands, you will want to do stuff. Most of that stuff will take even more money.

So in terms of Chaco (the dog). He no longer needs to spend all day looking for food and water. So now he's got nothing to do all day... except bug me. :) I went through this when I made just enough to pay the mortgage and my bills passively. It was certainly nice, but then I had 12 hours a day of doing nothing and I didn't quite make enough to do the things I wanted to do.

So to tie this to this thread. I'd say that your first goal is to make enough to avoid poverty. Then afterwards you make money so you can do things.

View attachment 6005

I don't care who you are, that dog is adorable. Great story and analogy.

Chronicelz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 2, 2013
Germany, Hessen, Wiesbaden
Hey,

i value everything that gives me freedom and choices. And if money gives me that i value it.

If money lets me sleep until i woke up, i value it!
If money lets me do what i like to do, i value it!
If money lets me buy things without thinking, i value it! (I dont give anything about luxury or showing off)

So yes i value money because it will give me freedom. For me it is all about freedom!!!

Young_gun

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 4, 2013
UK
Money is Value.

At the end of the day we all give our time for money, and time is the most important thing we have and what I value the most. No amount of money can buy time and we spend it to make money.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Money is power essentially.
The more money you make, the more work you can have others do for you.
Once you have the currency in hand, other people are working for you.
When you want more currency, you work for others.

The trick is balancing your career to give you the most power in the market, without having to sacrifice 40 hours a week on the other end.

You don't need a Ferrari to be happy of course, but money is definitely important.

Isn't the ultimate dream never having to labor for people other than yourself, yet having other people labor for you?
That's what the fastlane is attempting to acheive. It's about you acheiving income streams that offer the ultimate output without a whole lot of maintanence nessecary. It's more enjoyable to have money when you're not working your pants off and destroying your health to get it. Trust me. :p.

Jun 22, 2012
Come on everybody values money. We all know that money has value you can buy things with it. Money also has a time value. Money today is worth more tomorrow, and money tomorrow has value today. The future value of present money relates to the interest rate. A common way of increasing the future value of money is by consistently making periodic deposits. The present value of a future amount or future cash flows relate to the interest rate backwards, called the discount rate. People who don’t value are people who have money pouring like rain only for better future it’s better to make a better present. Only people who value money would understand in much better way what investments are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.