The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Do you think there's potential to compete with Facebook?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

RASA911216

New Contributor
Dec 8, 2017
Somewhere on the net.
Given the current trends, the giant keeps growing but I'm thinking of the potential at entering the market using a blockchain based descentralized site. Making it focus on promoting growth and businesses like LinkedIn but with focus on organizations rather than individuals.
Only other similar attempt I've found was https://www.minds.com/ but it seems its not very big yet and there's an increase on free-speech blockchain based sites such as Discussions/ so it seems there's potential for the market to start opening on these niches. Do you think it'd be possible or its a dead end/overcrowded market? So far besides Minds and Discussions.App I haven't seen any potential competitors.

Thoughts?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
No. Facebook is an NSA / DoD project disguised as "free enterprise".

Any true competitor will be deplatformed and its owners shamed by the media, for crimes real or invented, to keep the sheep herded into one place.

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
No. Facebook is an NSA / DoD project disguised as "free enterprise".

Any true competitor will be deplatformed and its owners shamed by the media, for crimes real or invented, to keep the sheep herded into one place.

One of the more interesting posts on this forum.

Somebody pointed out to me a while ago that a major skill of the various alphabet organizations was their ability to find and finance companies who did the work for them (like Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc).

It let the talented people do the work, and keep them far enough away for "plausible deniability."

P.S. I just bought your "Natural Language Processing From First Principles" Udemy course - looking forward to it.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
No, unless a lot of things change.

Attempting to kill one head of the snake, just leaves the other two to kill you.

This was posted in another thread...

mr4ffe

Contributor
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden

RASA911216

New Contributor
Dec 8, 2017
Somewhere on the net.
What problem do you plan to solve with blockchain technology? There are better ways to build a decentralized/unfederated social network, since there's no need for all metadata to be available to everyone when we aren't talking about monetary transactions. Look at ActivityPub - and look at what can be improved with the current solutions, like the Fediverse!
Just thought it may be useful to trade tokens like Discussions is doing and get users to enter trading markets so it could be like a second layer of the social network dedicated to business transactions between organizations.

Also the blockchain helps prevent issues like post deletion so it could be an attractive solution to people so worried about censorship. Nonetheless Discussions uses a semi-anonymous focus on account creation so I thought there is a niche for people that want to make real legal trade in their profiles (which would also discourage illegal activities as everything of that would be public both on the blockchain and in the site so all legal issues would go to the person rather than the company) and not have to contend with configuration issues.

People already make their life public on Facebook and Tik Tok, and they're not even directly paid to do so. So I wondered if adding more direct payment channels would be an attractive option to make them join too.

As much as I like the Fediverse, given the issues Gab had means it can still be easily controlled and I wouldn't want my project just being taken over or blocked from the network. So thought maybe decentralizing it would solve that pain point too.

Mind you I'm not an expert on social networks, just wondered if it was possible to compete with the big alphabet corps even if on a niche.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
For any web designers struggling to sell it is hardly ever about competition with other web...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom