The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you have to give up your social life to become rich?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
you know what, i think the answer is a resounding YES.

Any "social life" benefits you derive now will pale in comparison to life in the fastlane.

I have almost completely cut myself off from the regular world now, I am now living as a monk.

Eliminate all distractions, mental and physical.
Minimize your life to maximize your probability of success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
you know what, i think the answer is a resounding YES.

Any "social life" benefits you derive now will pale in comparison to life in the fastlane.

I have almost completely cut myself off from the regular world now, I am now living as a monk.

Eliminate all distractions, mental and physical.
Minimize your life to maximize your probability of success.
I went out to some meetups the other day.

There was one entrepreneur meetup group where it was extremely friendly and welcoming.

Regulars who discussed business and daily life candidly like long-life friends.
They weren't afraid to share tales of hardships and opportunity freely, without fear of competition or backstabbing.

There was a lady who had just sold a business and is now in the education field, selling special programs to private international schools globally.

There was another guy who was developing a hotel app for China. He offered me a spot to help him run a clipart side biz he had as a hobby. I think he forgot about it as he hasn't sent me further details yet.

I don't think that entrepreneurship should be as lonely as we think it is. It is still very much a significant part of the working world, providing goods and services to a lot of people. And for that, we will always need, and rely on people who can help us, be it in giving services or good-old human support.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I went out to some meetups the other day.

There was one entrepreneur meetup group where it was extremely friendly and welcoming.

Regulars who discussed business and daily life candidly like long-life friends.
They weren't afraid to share tales of hardships and opportunity freely, without fear of competition or backstabbing.

There was a lady who had just sold a business and is now in the education field, selling special programs to private international schools globally.

There was another guy who was developing a hotel app for China. He offered me a spot to help him run a clipart side biz he had as a hobby. I think he forgot about it as he hasn't sent me further details yet.

I don't think that entrepreneurship should be as lonely as we think it is. It is still very much a significant part of the working world, providing goods and services to a lot of people. And for that, we will always need, and rely on people who can help us, be it in giving services or good-old human support.

of course, I know a single few who are on the same wavelength as me or at least aspiring to it, I keep them in my thoughts.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
For anyone that asks this type of question at all before even getting started, the answer is pretty much always "yes".

The "no" people already got started, they have their priorities straight, and weigh every decision they make to determine how it impacts their ultimate goal, but the point is they just get started without trying to find a reason to stop them.

Are you the type to ask "Do I have to give up cupcakes and soda to have the body of my dreams?" or are you the type who's already in the gym as we speak, and will adjust your diet accordingly as you go based on the results you see? Some people can eat McDonald's every day and get ripped, but the people asking "Do I have to give up McDonald's to get ripped?" probably won't ever get started.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Maybe. It depends on you.

Are you really introverted? Do you not care about talking to people, dating girls/guys, having awesome memories with friends?

Or are you somewhat depressed and lonely when you're by your self a lot? Do you feel the pull to go out and be social? When you see a girl you're interested in, do you kick your self for not saying hi?

Only you know what's right for you, but I'll say this:

Over the past few months with all of the Covid/uncertainty, I've had a realization about how fragile the line between order/chaos, life/death really is.

In the footer of this very forum, there is this paragraph:

"Life isn't about paying bills and then dying. Take back what is yours. Don't build a business—build a life."

This isn't just about business. Business is a means to an end - Your own freedom to live life as you see fit.

Some people will be okay with marrying a girl in their 20s, and having the same group of 5 friends the rest of their life.

Some people want to party and hang out with lots of people into their thirties.

You need to live your life how you see fit. I don't think you need to give up a social life in order to build a business. You may need to sacrifice a few things here and there, but you don't have to alienate your friends and family.

Will you be the next bill gates this way? Probably not, but you don't need to be ultra wealthy and high profile to be happy and successful.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
The thing is, if you want it badly enough, it won't even FEEL like sacrifice. Which is how I feel.
You know how they say "happiness is when your actions are in line with ambitions" or something close. You just feel you're getting closer and closer to your goals without having to go out and 'socialize', and you're happy because of it if that makes sense.
But then what do I know, I never had much of a social life anyway.

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
J.P. Morgan was married to his wife Frances when he founded his investment bank. Sam Walton was married to his wife Helen when he founded his retail corporation.

Being married doesn’t seem to stand in the way of financial success, partying might be another story.

TheGreek

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 27, 2020
Greece
Being lonely for a while is not the worst thing in the world. Giving up your dreams is terrible. If you change your lifestyle overnight, it will be a lonely period for you. However, you will meet people with similar habits and needs with you in the future.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
The transition only seems hard when you're in university. It's actually comparable to having kids.

A lot of my friends who had kids suddenly couldn't go out partying anymore, couldn't hang out with their friends anymore, couldn't invest as much time in their hobbies anymore...because their life began to revolve around kids.

Kinda hurts when you're the last one without children. Because all the socializing will revolve around the kids. You'll become friends with other parents from daycare, school, so both parties can focus on what takes up their time: Children.

It's the same when having a business. You've got a lot more work to do, just like if you had kids. But you'll simply start socializing with different people. Having lunch with other entrepreneurs, attend workshops and fairs with them, go to political gatherings together...

You don't necessarily socialize less. The context and people will become different.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Girls that previously would have crossed the street to avoid me began to fight over who was going out with me, and they approached me.

This needs to be memorialized and engraved on a gold plate and hung up for all to see.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It looks like a common principal on the Fastlane journey to ditch your friends, family, stop going out, forget partying, and to work hard until you become rich instead. It seems so lonely. Do I really have to leave all my current friends and stop staying out late to grow a company? Because that's how it looks. Was this true for you? I ask because I've found myself loving to stay out late, partying, making friends and meeting women. Is there a balance that can be achieved?
The fact is being most people trapped in slowlane actually has no social life.

They could barely find enough time to sleep after slogging in the office, changing diapers kid and working on side project to save for the kid’s uni fee.

Hardly save any money despite doing all the things right.

Even the most dedicated slowlaners who are not yet married are doing a part-time master or learning to code for fearing AI to take over their job.

Social life, I have concluded is a privilege for the rich or the temporarily unaware young men.

Just because you ignore the enemy the enemy will still hunt you down. One day you will be 40 years old with kid and mortgage payment, and your senior manager will tell you that they don’t need you anymore because they have automated the first half of your job and outsourced the second part oversea. You cannot even drive Uber because by then it would be replaced by automated driving.

Slow lane could/will be a death lane for many. I have a far more bleak view than slowlane simply being “soul destroying” and “saving far less than you think”.

It is better to start war preparation than having your enemy hit you when you are most vulnerable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.