The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do most brochures suck? And would I be able to fix it?

Idea threads

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
I've struggled to find a business idea for over 2 months now and I've ended up jokingly searching "Brochure design" through Keyword Planner (recommended by Demarco in his book, thank you) thinking "I'll just make some little brochures to make a living". In my surprise I found out that MANY people are searching for brochure designs alongside similar terms as "pamflet/leaflet/catalogue". This got me curious and in the next few days I immediately realized that not only so many companies around me give brochures (food, telecomunications, transport, fashion, charity groups etc.) but the brochures LOOK THE SAME :

Why are 99% of brochures basic rectangles that you just open?
Why aren't there any 3d shapes in them? (Imagine opening a tourism brochure for France and seeing an Eiffel Tower popping out)
Why do all of them use bland pictures when you can find amazing artwork paintings for free these days?
Why do their text never catch my eye?
Why can't they change how they look based on the angle you see them ?(think of how Mona Lisa is "moving" her eyes if you change your angle, but on another scale)
Why none utilize the noses of the customers ? (smell as a pine if it's a tourism brochure to visit a mountain).

I am writing this post not just for feedback, but to see if it's only me who is noticing these "problems" and thinks they can be "fixed".
Now yes, the elephant in the room is that there are "free designs" that you can download. Free designs that are not tailored to your need (you just search and pick). And they all suffer from the problems I've mentioned above it feels...

I've also began learning Machine Learning programming and started to realize the massive potential that AI's currently have in producing beautiful artwork, alongside obviously writing attractive texts. I don't know if it's allowed or not to link some videos/websites but I will let you google "dalle e pictures" for example.
My ultimate idea would be to make brochures for the tourism industry that are not rectangles, pop 3d shapes or even be 3d shaped, use generated artworks / combinations from stock images that change how they look based on the angle you see them and have distinct smells. An AI would ideally do most of this work, especially the picture generating parts, but more likely used as a giant automation machine to just make designs be easier to be produced. Then you'd tailored them to the specific company's needs.
I don't know if this is too ambitious, if there is no demand for this or if this is already being done. Don't hold back your criticisms,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Likely because this is working.
Why aren't there any 3d shapes in them? (Imagine opening a tourism brochure for France and seeing an Eiffel Tower popping out)
Likely due to cost.
Why none utilize the noses of the customers ? (smell as a pine if it's a tourism brochure to visit a mountain).
I have seen this tactic mentioned in previous books for direct marketing. They had a list of methods you can use and all the different scents you can spray onto mail. They even included crazy scents including asphalt, and cannabis.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I have seen this tactic mentioned in previous books for direct marketing. They had a list of methods you can use and all the different scents you can spray onto mail. They even included crazy scents including asphalt, and cannabis.

LOL! Scented direct mail. Interesting way to catch someone's attention. Nice share.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Printed media / advertising is declining in favor of digital.

That said, if you could prove with tests and numbers, that your system of brochure design catch attention and convert better, it is very possible.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I've struggled to find a business idea for over 2 months now and I've ended up jokingly searching "Brochure design" through Keyword Planner (recommended by Demarco in his book, thank you) thinking "I'll just make some little brochures to make a living". In my surprise I found out that MANY people are searching for brochure designs alongside similar terms as "pamflet/leaflet/catalogue". This got me curious and in the next few days I immediately realized that not only so many companies around me give brochures (food, telecomunications, transport, fashion, charity groups etc.) but the brochures LOOK THE SAME :

Why do all of them use bland pictures when you can find amazing artwork paintings for free these days?
Why can't they change how they look based on the angle you see them ?(think of how Mona Lisa is "moving" her eyes if you change your angle, but on another scale)

I am writing this post not just for feedback, but to see if it's only me who is noticing these "problems" and thinks they can be "fixed".
Now yes, the elephant in the room is that there are "free designs" that you can download. Free designs that are not tailored to your need (you just search and pick). And they all suffer from the problems I've mentioned above it feels...

I've also began learning Machine Learning programming and started to realize the massive potential that AI's currently have in producing beautiful artwork, alongside obviously writing attractive texts. I don't know if it's allowed or not to link some videos/websites but I will let you google "dalle e pictures" for example.
My ultimate idea would be to make brochures for the tourism industry that are not rectangles, pop 3d shapes or even be 3d shaped, use generated artworks / combinations from stock images that change how they look based on the angle you see them and have distinct smells. An AI would ideally do most of this work, especially the picture generating parts, but more likely used as a giant automation machine to just make designs be easier to be produced. Then you'd tailored them to the specific company's needs.
I don't know if this is too ambitious, if there is no demand for this or if this is already being done. Don't hold back your criticisms,

Usually they are passed out in mass in numbers in the 1,000s. I remember Alex Hormozi saying that one of his business would expect a rate of about 0.5% in leads when using flyers as advertising. (Which is really good.) So that means adding 5 cents to the cost of a flyer would be adding $10 in acquisition cost for one customer.

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
Usually they are passed out in mass in numbers in the 1,000s. I remember Alex Hormozi saying that one of his business would expect a rate of about 0.5% in leads when using flyers as advertising. (Which is really good.) So that means adding 5 cents to the cost of a flyer would be adding $10 in acquisition cost for one customer.
Well is that lead rate due to them being bad or is that due to brochures as a concept being bad? Could that be improved, even significantly by improving the brochures?
And how much does it cost to make these?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Isn't that a question for you to answer? This is your idea. Printing costs will obviously be different in different parts of the world.

And since printers typically aren't built to inject smell, or do a 3D brochure, I'm wondering if you won't inevitably have to build your own setup to keep costs down.

He's just talking about a 5 cent increase per brochure. But your ideas I'm sure are going to be more expensive than 5 cents/flyer.

Could that be improved, even significantly by improving the brochures?

Getting the brochures in the right hands will likely lead to bigger improvements in cro than just making a better brochure.

Can you really double response rate just because you added the smell of cannabis? Even then the response rate is 1%.

I like your idea. I just don't know if you can make it profitable.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Well is that lead rate due to them being bad or is that due to brochures as a concept being bad? Could that be improved, even significantly by improving the brochures?

The lead rate is through the nature that nobody looks at them anymore, their appeal is that they are already so cheap, so it’s an acceptable rate.

It’s cheaper than social ads, but it doesn’t scale as well.

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
I guess the big part of the business profit would be from getting these to be cheap. The biggest challenge for that would be to make them to be as cheap to print as possible. I would either sell only the mostly AI made designs of the brochures or make find a way to minimise the cost of producing lots of them to give to many companies.
I'm guessing most people don't just want to buy the designs though. Could be wrong. Still, if they're really eye catchy, would it be far fetched to say people would pay more for them?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I guess the big part of the business profit would be from getting these to be cheap. The biggest challenge for that would be to make them to be as cheap to print as possible. I would either sell only the mostly AI made designs of the brochures or make find a way to minimise the cost of producing lots of them to give to many companies.
I'm guessing most people don't just want to buy the designs though. Could be wrong. Still, if they're really eye catchy, would it be far fetched to say people would pay more for them?
Can you get someone to do a first order? Probably. The organizations you want to target have a marketing budget and are likely willing to try something new.

The question is whether they will be effective enough that the marketing department will want to order again and again and again.

If your designs are effective enough, those people will tell other people, and your stuff will get noticed.

If not, this is not going to be a good enterprise for you. You will always be chasing the next client, and always climbing uphill to convince people.

Only one way to find out. Print a few example brochures and try and sell your ideas. Once you get an order, people will understand if it takes a few weeks to deliver, so don't worry about printing a lot of these until you've actually got a real order.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Isn't that a question for you to answer? This is your idea. Printing costs will obviously be different in different parts of the world.

And since printers typically aren't built to inject smell, or do a 3D brochure, I'm wondering if you won't inevitably have to build your own setup to keep costs down.

He's just talking about a 5 cent increase per brochure. But your ideas I'm sure are going to be more expensive than 5 cents/flyer.

Getting the brochures in the right hands will likely lead to bigger improvements in cro than just making a better brochure.

Can you really double response rate just because you added the smell of cannabis? Even then the response rate is 1%.

Well actually common printers can print scents.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022

Check out the company Maxi-Mise. They might be a competitor to your idea. They offer 3D printed mail with scents. Or alternatively you can buy just the vials of scents.
There is another company that will sell you just the scent that you add to your printer as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.