The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I really need to file for an LLC to do business?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Need to pay $500 to continue having an LLC in my state. Am not sure if it's worth it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trud09

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 23, 2016
I will chime in, even though I am not a lawyer (not legal advice, seriously don't take legal advice from strangers on the Internet) and it seems to be too late. Possibly for future reading and others benefit. You don't "need" an LLC, but there can be some benefits.

Legal:
If you don't follow the formalities to keep it an LLC, there is no use for it. If you get sued and you haven't followed the formalities (differ by state so I can't comment even on what they are) then there was no point. If you have followed the formalities, and you are in the right state (or formed it in the right state) then you will be seen as 2 separate legal entities. Your LLC explodes on someone, they can only sue the LLC. Someone falls in your house and sues you (once again varies by state) they can't foreclose on your business.

Tax:
If you don't form an LLC you are running business as a Sole Proprietor. This means all your income from your business (in most businesses) is subject to self employment tax. There are ways through changing the way the IRS views your business through an LLC that can reduce self employment cost.

I recommend you read up on both of those things if you are DIY person or speak to a competent professional. If you enjoy reading legalese then have some fun.

EDIT: This isn't Tax advice either. Don't take tax advice from random people on the Internet either.

Last edited:

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
My question is then why are LLC filings priced differently in each state in the U.S.?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Same reason why sales tax is different state to state. Same reason why some states require businesses licenses and some don't.

Magic.

Trud09

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 23, 2016
My question is then why are LLC filings priced differently in each state in the U.S.?

LLC's are a state level oversight. Each state has decided what it costs them to oversee and create each new entity. Similar to what Scot said above. Different states get their revenue through different methods.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
LLC's are a state level oversight. Each state has decided what it costs them to oversee and create each new entity. Similar to what Scot said above. Different states get their revenue through different methods.

Thank you, but how do the states decide on the price for an LLC?

Trud09

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 23, 2016
Thank you, but how do the states decide on the price for an LLC?

I would think each state's Secretary of State has some say in it. Ohio changed the filing fee from $125 to $99 and we have no ongoing fees. Other states have an initial filing fee and a yearly fee.

Possibly ask your Secretary of State's office why the fee is set where it is? I am not sure if it is decided by state Congress, but someone along the lines decided to set it where it is. The fun of Politics

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
I would think each state's Secretary of State has some say in it. Ohio changed the filing fee from $125 to $99 and we have no ongoing fees. Other states have an initial filing fee and a yearly fee.

Possibly ask your Secretary of State's office why the fee is set where it is? I am not sure if it is decided by state Congress, but someone along the lines decided to set it where it is. The fun of Politics

Thank you,

I live in Iowa and it's only $50, which I'm grateful for. I just couldn't fathom paying $500 - $1000 to file when other states have $50 filings.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Not only do different states have different fees for setting up your LLC, they also have different tax benefits. States tax business differently, so there is often a substantial financial benefit to using an LLC from another state, which is entirely acceptable.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
If you run into trouble (get sued, screw something up, etc.) then the LLC can shield your personal assets from the fallout of the lawsuit.
There are also some powerful tax benefits to the structure, depending on how you do it. Definitely pay an accountant $50 to sit down for half an hour to get it explained to you.

Since you're talking about renewal, I'm guessing you already have a business.

If you didn't have one, I would say dont' bother. But if you do have sales and customers, then it's a good idea.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
Not only do different states have different fees for setting up your LLC, they also have different tax benefits. States tax business differently, so there is often a substantial financial benefit to using an LLC from another state, which is entire acceptable.
But, to use the LLC in a differnt state you have to have a agent their correct?

Also, what is the best state to have an LLC in?

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
But, to use the LLC in a differnt state you have to have a agent their correct?
Yes, a registered agent is required and there are already numerous options. There are dedicated "registered agents" in most states, and an attorney could do it for you too, though the attorney might be more expensive. In all honesty, I've not used either so take that for what it's worth.

Also, what is the best state to have an LLC in?
Google is your friend!
https://www.myllc.com/which-state-to-form-llc.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company
etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content