The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need SEO & PPC?

Marketing, social media, advertising

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
My website ranks very high for my keywords, #1 in many cases. But of course paid searches rank above mine. Would PPC ads benefit me or just cannibalize my existing rankings?

The majority of the time when I search for stuff I ignore the ads and go straight to the organic results.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yes. They might cannibalize a bit if you are already on organic #1, but you have to consider that many people are probably not like you, can't tell the ads from the organic results and just click on the first result, in many cases without even reading the headline. They just assume that the first result is the correct one.

Also, in the past years the amount of space that ads take up on the top has increased more and more, and pushed organic down, especially on mobile, which is a trend that will likely continue. So it won't hurt to diversify your traffic.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
As I tell all of my clients, do both. Take up as much real estate as you can to get all of the potential relevant traffic that you can. Increase your odds of driving converting traffic to dominate your chosen market.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Take a look at your conversion rate and margins, along with the CPC to buy that prime real estate. Should be relatively easy to calculate the benefit of paid ads. Can't hurt to test it out with a few hundred bucks if your site is successful already.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Another thing to consider is that you have more control over ppc.

As far as position one goes, sometimes you don’t want to be in the top position. sometimes you do. Shoot for top 3 positions.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Would PPC ads benefit me or just cannibalize my existing rankings?

It will not cannabalize your rankings.

If you set up proper tracking, you should be able separate out your Analytics for paid and organic. There are two metrics to follow to answer your question directly:
  • Organic revenue (up to the date of first PPC campaign) versus organic revenue (after the date of first PPC campaign)
  • PPC profit
So long as [(organice - organic) + PPC profit] is greater than zero, you're good to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.