The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Discipline for losing weight.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Matte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 7, 2018
Italy
What is your best advice for getting and staying disciplined when it comes to losing weight?
When I go to buy food, I only buy healthy foods and no junk food, that way when I'm home and I want to eat I have no options but to eat healthy food.

Also I try to walk instead of taking the car as much as possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
When I go to buy food, I only buy healthy foods and no junk food, that way when I'm home and I want to eat I have no options but to eat healthy food.

Also I try to walk instead of taking the car as much as possible.
Thanks

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
If your confused with how weight gain works, watch the video fat chance fructose 2.0 or sum by Dr. Lustig, it basicallys states that leptin tells fat go to brain, saying we have energy, and tells the brain stop eating, then thats when you start to get an energy spike, like when you give a 5 year old candy, they jump off the walls, but when you give an obese 5 year old candy, they dont get a sugar high, and thats because your leptin didnt get a signal, which didnt tell the brain to stop eating, so you keep eating, and in which it turns to fat, that means theres some kind of resistance stopping the transmission, and stuff like fructose is a restraint, causing you to not feel a difference, (fruits are still healthy, just not alot) anyways that sums it up have a good night lmao.

-John
Thanks

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
- Learn how many calories your body uses a day, there are free online websites for that such as cronometer.com

- You can use the same app to write your food intake and It will calculate how many calories you intake also.

. Make it so you have less calories intake than your body's daily caloric use. Small caloric deficits of like 300-500 calories are good for just loosing fat and not muscle.

- You will feel hunger, perhaps even difficulty sleeping, letargy. That is a good sign. It is uncomfortable, otherwise everybody would be thin.

- Some say is best to have max 5 days caloric deficit and then do 2 days of maintaining or a small surplus, to avoid lowering metabolism.

- Pro Tip: eat low calorie food that takes a lot of space in your stomage, such as Pumpkins, Broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes. Etc.
Thanks

vladikcm

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 2, 2022
Spain
Discipline actually doesn’t lose weight.

You can track every bite, step, never stray from your diet, and still get fat…if your plan sucks.

The only thing that matters is the effect of what you’re doing. It’s not emotional. Someone could ACCIDENTALLY lose 30 lbs. Maybe they move to a place and get a job that forces them to walk a few extra miles a day and the only convenient place to get lunch serves only salads. He doesn’t live with anyone so his breakfasts are a protein shake and that’s it. His dinner is a McDonald’s burger but by the end of the day he has walked 5 miles, and only ate 1800 calories. He’s going to be in shape.

Compared to the guy who wants to get in shape. He wants it so bad. He hates being fat. He’s so focused on getting in shape and all he wants is to lose 30 lbs more than anything in life. He reads all day about how to do it effectively. He settles on a Keto diet. He buys all the Keto ingredients, the special artificial sweeteners, the cauliflower pizza crust, the whole works. He eats his super high fat cheese soaked with butter and high fat meat. He gobbles down bricks of cheese for lunch. He wants a cracker but denies himself, “no carbs”. He eats 2800 calories a day and thinks he followed all the rules and wonders why he is still chubby.

I don’t try to have much discipline.

I don’t buy the bad food in the first place so it’s not tempting.

I have cheat days on Saturday so it’s easy to not break the diet since I only tell myself “I’m gonna eat it in a few days, just not today”.

I repeat my meals so they become a habit just like brushing my teeth.

I get as much food delivered as possible so I’m not at the store as much. Only to buy steaks, salsa, coffee and extra stuff like seasoning and oils, and everything else is delivered.

The diet focuses on only having carbs from “slow carb” sources that don’t spike insulin and result in storing fat. So eating things like beans and veggies is perfect for carbs. Then I eat protein. There’s no alcohol, sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, oats, dairy.

I eat eggs, meat, veggies, beans, salsa, salads, etc. breakfast is eggs beans meat and salsa. Lunch is salad. Dinner is meat and veggies. I love it. I don’t need much discipline. I eat 3-4 times a day but the meals are small like 400 calories each or something.

Small meals will shrink your stomach and make you full from less and less food. That’s why I didn’t like intermittent fasting. I was STARVING all the time and eating big meals meant any future meals I would stuff tons of food in without being full, and I got a loud growling stomach for half the day before my meals.

Go buy the 4-hr body by tim Ferris, lots of good stuff in there
Thank you for this contribution!
I was the last year a skinny guy and I tought: What do super fit people do? And so I stole the Navy Seal training for getting accepted into their academy. Things short, it was not very good, a lot of exercise with no objective for me (I am from Spain lol). I decided to read on the subject. Ended up learning a lot. I passed from 73kg skinny guy to 95kg bulked and strong. My size and muscle gain was amazing just doing was I was supposed to do. The problem came for the diet. I am not super fat but I wanted to have low fat index (still in the process). Counting calories for me was the key. I could loose 1kg per week like clokwork, I was really amazed.

Either way I will read the Tim Ferris book because I think it will really be helpful, because let's be honest, I can't be scaling everything forever!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Lots of good advice here, I'll try and add to it.

Obviously you want to lose weight and keep it off, which means changing your lifestyle by eating less and exercising more, but there are a couple of extra things you can do which seem so simple and even silly, you'll be surprised they work.

1. Get smaller plates - I'm serious, this has been shown through scientific research to work. Food on a smaller plate looks like more than if you put it on a big plate. Therefore we feel fuller from eating from a small plate.

Buffets know this, which is why buffet plates are always small, because even though you can go up and refill as many times as you want, most people don't because they feel full already.

2. Get a smaller fridge - Again, the more food you can fit in your fridge, the more you will eat, plus a big fridge needs more food to look full. So you are playing on similar cognitive biases as when you use smaller plates.

3. Buy some weights - If you're working from home and you're at the start of your fastlane journey, then you probably don't have as much time as you'd like for the gym.

Get some simple (30kg minimum) weights from Amazon and commit to a 2 minute routine in the morning. Make sure your weights are always near your working area. Anytime you get a spare couple of minutes pick them up and perform a couple of curls, presses and squats. (My biceps went crazy doing this for just 4 weeks)

4. Cold plunges - This isn't easy unless you are particular adept at being cold, but there has been lots of research, particular by the Dane Dr (can't remember first name) Soberg.

Essentially the cold plunges activate your adipose (brown fat) tissue, which in turn puts you into a hyper metabolic state (you're burning calories at a higher rate than usual). Obviously you can't cheat thermodynamics so you have to combine with exercise.

I'm telling you man, this is a good one! It's hard, but it's so worth it.

5. Watch Athlean-X on Youtube - Obviously you don't need to watch anyone, however Jeff Cavaliere of Athlean-X is so knowledgeable and his workouts so easy to follow, plus they're very effective. No matter what your situation with, or how much equipment you have access to, Jeff will have something for you.

Good luck on your journey to a new lifestyle!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmUDtbe1O8&list=WL&index=1

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Discipline actually doesn’t lose weight.

You can track every bite, step, never stray from your diet, and still get fat…if your plan sucks.

The only thing that matters is the effect of what you’re doing. It’s not emotional. Someone could ACCIDENTALLY lose 30 lbs. Maybe they move to a place and get a job that forces them to walk a few extra miles a day and the only convenient place to get lunch serves only salads. He doesn’t live with anyone so his breakfasts are a protein shake and that’s it. His dinner is a McDonald’s burger but by the end of the day he has walked 5 miles, and only ate 1800 calories. He’s going to be in shape.

Compared to the guy who wants to get in shape. He wants it so bad. He hates being fat. He’s so focused on getting in shape and all he wants is to lose 30 lbs more than anything in life. He reads all day about how to do it effectively. He settles on a Keto diet. He buys all the Keto ingredients, the special artificial sweeteners, the cauliflower pizza crust, the whole works. He eats his super high fat cheese soaked with butter and high fat meat. He gobbles down bricks of cheese for lunch. He wants a cracker but denies himself, “no carbs”. He eats 2800 calories a day and thinks he followed all the rules and wonders why he is still chubby.

I don’t try to have much discipline.

I don’t buy the bad food in the first place so it’s not tempting.

I have cheat days on Saturday so it’s easy to not break the diet since I only tell myself “I’m gonna eat it in a few days, just not today”.

I repeat my meals so they become a habit just like brushing my teeth.

I get as much food delivered as possible so I’m not at the store as much. Only to buy steaks, salsa, coffee and extra stuff like seasoning and oils, and everything else is delivered.

The diet focuses on only having carbs from “slow carb” sources that don’t spike insulin and result in storing fat. So eating things like beans and veggies is perfect for carbs. Then I eat protein. There’s no alcohol, sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, oats, dairy.

I eat eggs, meat, veggies, beans, salsa, salads, etc. breakfast is eggs beans meat and salsa. Lunch is salad. Dinner is meat and veggies. I love it. I don’t need much discipline. I eat 3-4 times a day but the meals are small like 400 calories each or something.

Small meals will shrink your stomach and make you full from less and less food. That’s why I didn’t like intermittent fasting. I was STARVING all the time and eating big meals meant any future meals I would stuff tons of food in without being full, and I got a loud growling stomach for half the day before my meals.

Go buy the 4-hr body by tim Ferris, lots of good stuff in there
Hey Johnny Boy, this post really stood out to me, I’m not wondering, are you talking about the sense calories in calories out? In my opinion, it also matters where they get those calories from. But 2 things and I know I might sound dumb but does walking actually help alot? Just staying active kind of sense? I’m sorry for asking, why not potatoes? I’m pretty sure they’re healthy no? Correct me if im wrong, just I’ve been brainwashed thank you.
Right now this is what it looks like normally I eat 1,800 calories

80-100g of protein
180-200g of carbs
40-60g of fat (unsaturated)
Normally the rest can come from fruits, bread and yeah thats it

Last edited:

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
First, I'd like to preface that food should not only be looked at for it's macros and calorie content, but also its micro-nutrients and other health benefits.

With that said, weight loss is simple but not easy. One thing I would say that helps drastically in the way you look at everything you consume is to translate it to hours spent exercising. It's analogous to money - how you value money is indirectly proportional to how much time you have to trade to make each dollar. This is why children can spend large amounts of money on really dumb shit - they haven't had to trade their time for money so from their point of view, money is a free-flowing resource that constantly replaces itself immediately after it's spent.

So instead of looking at a donut as a tasty, convenient snack -- look at it for what it truly is: empty calories that give your body nothing of value and you'll have to walk for an hour to negate the caloric intake. Healthy foods are not only healthy because they have essential nutrients, they are also healthy because they allow our evolutionary hunger control to do its job (there's a reason the only overweight tigers you'll find are in zoos). We've gotten really good at manufacturing great tasting, calorie dense foods. While it's possible to lose weight eating anything, the more manufactured garbage you eat means it will become more important to track calories, you will have to cut yourself off earlier, and you will feel hungry for longer.

The more healthy foods you eat, the less you will have to concern yourself with counting calories and the better you will feel. Make it as simple and easy as possible and you will maximize your chances of adherence. Don't shoot yourself in the foot then expect to run a marathon.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
First, I'd like to preface that food should not only be looked at for it's macros and calorie content, but also its micro-nutrients and other health benefits.

With that said, weight loss is simple but not easy. One thing I would say that helps drastically in the way you look at everything you consume is to translate it to hours spent exercising. It's analogous to money - how you value money is indirectly proportional to how much time you have to trade to make each dollar. This is why children can spend large amounts of money on really dumb shit - they haven't had to trade their time for money so from their point of view, money is a free-flowing resource that constantly replaces itself immediately after it's spent.

So instead of looking at a donut as a tasty, convenient snack -- look at it for what it truly is: empty calories that give your body nothing of value and you'll have to walk for an hour to negate the caloric intake. Healthy foods are not only healthy because they have essential nutrients, they are also healthy because they allow our evolutionary hunger control to do its job (there's a reason the only overweight tigers you'll find are in zoos). We've gotten really good at manufacturing great tasting, calorie dense foods. While it's possible to lose weight eating anything, the more manufactured garbage you eat means it will become more important to track calories, you will have to cut yourself off earlier, and you will feel hungry for longer.

The more healthy foods you eat, the less you will have to concern yourself with counting calories and the better you will feel. Make it as simple and easy as possible and you will maximize your chances of adherence. Don't shoot yourself in the foot then expect to run a marathon.
Thank you, that makes sense, and I get almost all of my nutrients from healthy stuff like chicken, sometimes stirfry, eggs, and if I have something unhealthy, I try my best to pair it up with something atleast healthier, toast, toast with pb and J, and eggs, im going to start aiming for 2,100 calories to bulk up, thank you man

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hey Johnny Boy, this post really stood out to me, I’m not wondering, are you talking about the sense calories in calories out? In my opinion, it also matters where they get those calories from. But 2 things and I know I might sound dumb but does walking actually help alot? Just staying active kind of sense? I’m sorry for asking, why not potatoes? I’m pretty sure they’re healthy no? Correct me if im wrong, just I’ve been brainwashed thank you.
Right now this is what it looks like normally I eat 1,800 calories

80-100g of protein
180-200g of carbs
40-60g of fat (unsaturated)
Normally the rest can come from fruits, bread and yeah thats it
I just follow the 4-hr body. I’m not going to write more paragraphs when someone else already wrote a great book on it

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

Thanks

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Hire an online coach. You can get a good one for around €200 per month who will keep you accountable.

If you don't want to go down that route then the best thing to do is to not bring any bad food into your house.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
A lot of valuable information is shared here.

At the core, weight loss comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. I can't give much in terms of how to become disciplined.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet. A base hour-long run burns about 800-900 calories (for me). You can consume that very easily. Nutrition for weight loss. Exercise for strength, cardio for heart health and endurance.

Find a way of eating that YOU can sustain for the long run. Otherwise, that weight will come back. I am completely against counting calories and weighting your food unless if you plan to do it for the rest of your life. If not, it is more logical for me to build the proper habits.

Be careful with fasting, pay attention to your muscle mass. I don't know your starting point. But assuming you want to be healthy, lean body mass is important. I was a big fan of long fasts (48h-72h) and have done many regularly. But I changed my mind about fasting recently. Muscle mass is very important for metabolic health and fasts can make you lose muscle. Keep that in mind when fasting.

Be patient and play the long game.

I recall @Antifragile dropped some weight by changing his habits without necessarily starving. Maybe he can chime in.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I recall @Antifragile dropped some weight by changing his habits without necessarily starving. Maybe he can chime in.

Thanks for the tag.

A few things:
  • Short fasts are good to clear my head. But not for weight loss... and I don't like long fasts (feels too painful to me, maybe I am doing it wrong)
  • Exercise doing something you fall in love with doing. This way, you can do a lot of it. At my peak, I would clock in 13 hours per week on swim/bike/run training.
  • Eat well. What does that mean? I believe that our body is far more intelligent than we care to admit. For example: sweet cookie in the morning for breakfast = insta extra fat. Sweet pure sugar snack while going on a long bike ride is just pure fuel/energy.

I lost weight eating well & exercising a lot. Kept it off, by continuing to live healthy life without overthinking it.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
A lot of valuable information is shared here.

At the core, weight loss comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. I can't give much in terms of how to become disciplined.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet. A base hour-long run burns about 800-900 calories (for me). You can consume that very easily. Nutrition for weight loss. Exercise for strength, cardio for heart health and endurance.

Find a way of eating that YOU can sustain for the long run. Otherwise, that weight will come back. I am completely against counting calories and weighting your food unless if you plan to do it for the rest of your life. If not, it is more logical for me to build the proper habits.

Be careful with fasting, pay attention to your muscle mass. I don't know your starting point. But assuming you want to be healthy, lean body mass is important. I was a big fan of long fasts (48h-72h) and have done many regularly. But I changed my mind about fasting recently. Muscle mass is very important for metabolic health and fasts can make you lose muscle. Keep that in mind when fasting.

Be patient and play the long game.

Thanks

quazimodo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 22, 2020
What is your best advice for getting and staying disciplined when it comes to losing weight?
Hello, will share my experience.
* Starting point: age 49, male, weight 107kg or 242 pounds. Diets, such as low GI, that used to work 20 years ago had no effect. Doctor on yearly check up said that now I am in risk zone for type 2 diabetes, message heard for the last 3 years. Nearly accepted, that I will be obese for the rest of my life.
* What I did - took it literally event/process dichotomy from UNSCRIPETED
1. Intelligent awareness: I am action faker of highest sort, need discipline with eating and exercising and this needs to be on regular basis. Starting date happened to be September 1, 2021.
2. Modify Expectations/Realign Difficulty - it will not be easy, but without difficulty there will be no result. It will take time and process.
3. Identify and Visualize the Change Target - 2021 December 1 weight 95 kg or 209 pounds, jeans and trousers that I regularly wear not tight and a bit loose.
4. Apply Mathematics to the Goal - need to loose 5kg or 11 pounds per month
5. Segment Goal into Its Daily Action - created daily process to follow with tracking of 5 points in excel: First meal KETO, Second meal KETO, no snacks in between, min 16 hours without eating per 24hours, 5km walk. Additional conditions - cannot check weight on scales during this 3 month period, only on the last target day of Dec 1.
6. Identify Threats to the Target - Alcohol, not suitable with KETO, makes me snack on bad food. Do not purchase food not suitable for KETO.
7. Identify the Right Battle - do not go to parties where it is usual to drink, exercise extra instead, e.g. walk 10 or 15 km instead of 5.
8. Attack Bad Habits with Inconvenience/Pain - No alcohol at home, do not purchase food not suitable for KETO.
9. Act until Echo - stick to defined above process till people will start to notice and compliment that I have lost weight.
Result:
* Accuracy of sticking to process of 5 steps marked in excell daily was 97% during those 3 month.
* Finally - EVENT - climbing on the scale to weight myself on December 1, 2021. Weight 87kg or 192 pounds. In 3 month lost 22kg or 48 pounds.
Covid restrictions ended, showed up in public and ECHOS were numerous (people commenting, complimenting, worried)
Today: 85kg or 187 pounds - still sticking to this process, modified it to include more exercises and now target defined as long term negative trend in weight and certain body fat percentage. Updated wardrobe with better fitting clothing - echoes continuing.
Conclusions for myself - I am not completely hopeless action faker, I can follow process. Several month ago created process to start my own CENTS business, after several adjustments still completing daily actions of process. Still far away from echoes, but I am sticking to the process.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Hello, will share my experience.
* Starting point: age 49, male, weight 107kg or 242 pounds. Diets, such as low GI, that used to work 20 years ago had no effect. Doctor on yearly check up said that now I am in risk zone for type 2 diabetes, message heard for the last 3 years. Nearly accepted, that I will be obese for the rest of my life.
* What I did - took it literally event/process dichotomy from UNSCRIPETED
1. Intelligent awareness: I am action faker of highest sort, need discipline with eating and exercising and this needs to be on regular basis. Starting date happened to be September 1, 2021.
2. Modify Expectations/Realign Difficulty - it will not be easy, but without difficulty there will be no result. It will take time and process.
3. Identify and Visualize the Change Target - 2021 December 1 weight 95 kg or 209 pounds, jeans and trousers that I regularly wear not tight and a bit loose.
4. Apply Mathematics to the Goal - need to loose 5kg or 11 pounds per month
5. Segment Goal into Its Daily Action - created daily process to follow with tracking of 5 points in excel: First meal KETO, Second meal KETO, no snacks in between, min 16 hours without eating per 24hours, 5km walk. Additional conditions - cannot check weight on scales during this 3 month period, only on the last target day of Dec 1.
6. Identify Threats to the Target - Alcohol, not suitable with KETO, makes me snack on bad food. Do not purchase food not suitable for KETO.
7. Identify the Right Battle - do not go to parties where it is usual to drink, exercise extra instead, e.g. walk 10 or 15 km instead of 5.
8. Attack Bad Habits with Inconvenience/Pain - No alcohol at home, do not purchase food not suitable for KETO.
9. Act until Echo - stick to defined above process till people will start to notice and compliment that I have lost weight.
Result:
* Accuracy of sticking to process of 5 steps marked in excell daily was 97% during those 3 month.
* Finally - EVENT - climbing on the scale to weight myself on December 1, 2021. Weight 87kg or 192 pounds. In 3 month lost 22kg or 48 pounds.
Covid restrictions ended, showed up in public and ECHOS were numerous (people commenting, complimenting, worried)
Today: 85kg or 187 pounds - still sticking to this process, modified it to include more exercises and now target defined as long term negative trend in weight and certain body fat percentage. Updated wardrobe with better fitting clothing - echoes continuing.
Conclusions for myself - I am not completely hopeless action faker, I can follow process. Several month ago created process to start my own CENTS business, after several adjustments still completing daily actions of process. Still far away from echoes, but I am sticking to the process.
Thank you. Nice progress

lupulin

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 13, 2020
The real goal is to eat less.

There are only 3 ways to do it:
  1. Calorie Restriction
  2. Time Restriction
  3. Macro Restriction
Calorie Restriction means you count calories.

Time Restriction means you restrict what you eat within a certain amount of time.

Macro Restriction means to limit or eliminate entire food groups (carbs, or fats)

I find calorie counting to be difficult because figuring out how much calories something has is work if it's not written on a box and you don't have a scale.

Time Restricted Eating works best for me as long as I don't constantly eat during my feeding window. That usually means 1-2 actual means with no snacks.

Macro Restriction can be important if you have issues with certain macros. If you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, you may need to remove carbs. If you are one of the people that has lipid issues with more fat in your diet, you may need to lower your fat intake (or try vegetarian)

Macro Restriction is important too because if you're not restricting something... you're probably eating the Standard American Diet (processed shit). If you don't get rid of processed crap in your diet, you're going to have a rough time losing weight and getting healthy.

You can also mix and match. I try to limit my carb intake and I also skip breakfast. If I'm with family and I'm not able to make my own meals, I'll limit how much I put on my plate...

YMMV... Good luck

BTW:

Protein is the most important macro nutrient because it's also the more satiating. So, increase the protein and you'll find you naturally start to eat less.

Get the book "P:E Diet" by Ted Naiman (and follow him on Twitter)

Last edited:

Chap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 20, 2017
UK
Learn to cook

My working theory is that obesity is basically the ‘developed’ worlds malnutrition.

• Eat home-cooked meals 80% of the time, inc. snacks.
  • Avoid anything processed first, or packaged second.
  • Be mindful of what you drink: water, coffee, and tea (anything else is included in that 20%)

Last edited:

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Learn to cook

My working theory is that obesity is basically the ‘developed’ worlds malnutrition.

• Eat home-cooked meals 80% of the time, inc. snacks.
  • Avoid anything processed first, or packaged second.
  • Be mindful of what you drink: water, coffee, and tea (anything else is included in that 20%)
Thanks

lupulin

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 13, 2020
Here's a video on why certain diets work for some people but not others. THERE IS NO ONE DIET THAT FITS ALL.

Vegan
Low Carb
Keto
Carnivore
Paleo

It's all about satiety.

View: https://youtu.be/XmUqjHbPmEc

hyperreal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 2, 2021
Switzerland
You cannot override human physiology with discipline. At least not in the long run, and this is the goal I assume.

Of the three macroelements there is one that is not essential and addictive like drugs. Yes, it is carbohydrates. We have a satiety mechanism for fats and proteins, but not for carbs. It is very easy to overeat them. Your goal should be as close to 0g of any digestible carbs as possible (fiber does not count). Once your body starts using fat as fuel, intermittent fasting will be effortless and you will only need to eat 1-2 times a day. You will naturally reach a lean body composition.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My uneducated review of all the "diets" out there:
  • Slow carb is awesome for people who love beans
  • Paleo is awesome for people who hate beans
  • Carnivore is awesome for people who hate veggies and love organs
  • Vegan is not a F*cking diet
  • Plant-based IS a diet, and awesome for people who hate flavor
  • Low-carb is awesome for people who love artificial sweeteners (but stevia doesn't count, it's natural!)
  • Keto is awesome for people who want to be doing something cooler-sounding than "low carb"
  • Low-GI diets are awesome for disgusting creatures who can somehow tolerate brown rice and whole wheat pasta
  • Mediterranean diets are awesome for people who love olive oil
  • "Clean eating" is awesome for dudes who are totally gonna be Mr. O one day
  • Intermittent fasting is awesome for people who love to binge-eat and get off on being grumpy all day
  • Actual fasting is awesome for people who love that feeling some 36 hours in when you've "beaten hunger" and are willing to suffer for a day to get there
  • Balanced low-calorie diets are awesome for boring people who listen to their schmuck doctor (did you know doctors barely study nutrition at all? Seriously!)
  • Calorie counting is awesome for nerds who wanna Rain Man their diet
  • IIFYM is awesome for people who don't give a shit about hunger but refuse to give up pizza and pop tarts
And... wow holy shit they all work. I can find at least 10 stories from the Internet of people who lose significant amounts of weight from doing every single one of these eating protocols. They ALL work. But the only diet that works is the one you actually stick to long enough to see and maintain your results!

With that said, if you simply record what you eat and weigh yourself (and be honest about both), you'll learn a lot about yourself. You'll learn what works and what doesn't. You'll learn what foods make you sluggish and what foods give you energy throughout the day. You'll learn what makes you bloat. You'll learn what makes you shit uncontrollably. It's useful. Try it!

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
  • Low-carb is awesome for people who love artificial sweeteners (but stevia doesn't count, it's natural!)
  • Keto is awesome for people who want to be doing something cooler-sounding than "low carb"
  • Low-GI diets are awesome for disgusting creatures who can somehow tolerate brown rice and whole wheat pasta
  • Intermittent fasting is awesome for people who love to binge-eat and get off on being grumpy all day
  • Actual fasting is awesome for people who love that feeling some 36 hours in when you've "beaten hunger" and are willing to suffer for a day to get there
  • Balanced low-calorie diets are awesome for boring people who listen to their schmuck doctor (did you know doctors barely study nutrition at all? Seriously!)
  • IIFYM is awesome for people who don't give a shit about hunger but refuse to give up pizza and pop tarts
And... wow holy shit they all work. I can find at least 10 stories from the Internet of people who lose significant amounts of weight from doing every single one of these eating protocols. They ALL work. But the only diet that works is the one you actually stick to long enough to see and maintain your results!

With that said, if you simply record what you eat and weigh yourself (and be honest about both), you'll learn a lot about yourself. You'll learn what works and what doesn't. You'll learn what foods make you sluggish and what foods give you energy throughout the day. You'll learn what makes you bloat. You'll learn what makes you shit uncontrollably. It's useful. Try it!
Thanks

Modew

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 23, 2023
I think people have given very good advice around food, calories, goals, mindset, lifestyle but I would like to add a few things for consideration:

1. If you have a spouse/family then make sure that they are aware and if possible support you, or better yet partake with you [but don't force them] on the journey. If you are easily influenced by their decisions, then there will be habits, hacks you will need to put in place to make sure they don't derail you.

2. Social interactions can be hard at the beginning (I just found newer friends who wanted to live this life style by going to Orange Theory..not saying its the best workout, but its very good, and gives me a community of like minded people). Avoid, go for coffee instead of lunch etc. Family get togethers can be bad, so plan accordingly.

3. Don't go shopping for food (at least on an empty stomach). I found that I ordered groceries online, or went to store when I was full so I didn't make bad choices.

4. Pre-eat/Pre-decide what you are going to get when you go out. Having a plan or not being stupidly hungry when going out to eat helps make better choices.

5. Take progress pictures. The journey has a lot of ups and downs esp after the initial bump. So those pictures of you seeing your own progress helps remind you its your journey.

6. You will have set backs. Somedays you will do something you regret like eat a burger and fries. Its about resetting as quickly as possible and continue on. I think in Unscripted MJ mentions eat 20 good meals out of 21 (or something to that effect). Its what I use as my base, but sometimes it works out 18 good meals out of 21. Just will take me longer to get to my goal and its a heck of a lot better than 1 out of 21.

Dingy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 12, 2023
The environment is the first thing you can control, maximizing your environment for results. If you live in a house with snacks and such it's almost game over, it all starts at the grocery store while putting them in your cart.

When it comes to exercise its all about consistency. Set a time you will work out every day and stick to that, even if it's a quick one. Eventually, you will build the habit of doing it automatically, and make it part of your daily life.
This is great advice

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I think people have given very good advice around food, calories, goals, mindset, lifestyle but I would like to add a few things for consideration:

1. If you have a spouse/family then make sure that they are aware and if possible support you, or better yet partake with you [but don't force them] on the journey. If you are easily influenced by their decisions, then there will be habits, hacks you will need to put in place to make sure they don't derail you.

2. Social interactions can be hard at the beginning (I just found newer friends who wanted to live this life style by going to Orange Theory..not saying its the best workout, but its very good, and gives me a community of like minded people). Avoid, go for coffee instead of lunch etc. Family get togethers can be bad, so plan accordingly.

3. Don't go shopping for food (at least on an empty stomach). I found that I ordered groceries online, or went to store when I was full so I didn't make bad choices.

4. Pre-eat/Pre-decide what you are going to get when you go out. Having a plan or not being stupidly hungry when going out to eat helps make better choices.

5. Take progress pictures. The journey has a lot of ups and downs esp after the initial bump. So those pictures of you seeing your own progress helps remind you its your journey.

6. You will have set backs. Somedays you will do something you regret like eat a burger and fries. Its about resetting as quickly as possible and continue on. I think in Unscripted MJ mentions eat 20 good meals out of 21 (or something to that effect). Its what I use as my base, but sometimes it works out 18 good meals out of 21. Just will take me longer to get to my goal and its a heck of a lot better than 1 out of 21.
Thanks

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

These are funny

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.