The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Discipline for losing weight.

Anything related to matters of the mind

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
What is your best advice for getting and staying disciplined when it comes to losing weight?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
Willpower is a finite source. If you ask this question you have already lost and you do not know it.

My advice would be to 1) Get educated on how satiety and the CICO model works 2) Make changes in your environment so that you have a fighting chance 3) Start with one good habit at a time.

People that lost weight and kept it off forever have 3 characteristics 1) They weigh themselves almost daily 2) They exercise 3) They do portion control.

Your goal is to find a diet that works for you, for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. The forever diet. No yo-yo dieting.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
What is your best advice for getting and staying disciplined when it comes to losing weight?
1. Don't have anything in the house that is not healthy.
2. Do sports in a team/group or take lessons so that you are forced to go.
3. Only take cash when you go shopping, or let others do the shopping for you.

In short: don't rely on your self-control, until you are in the habit of eating healthy and exercising.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
The environment is the first thing you can control, maximizing your environment for results. If you live in a house with snacks and such it's almost game over, it all starts at the grocery store while putting them in your cart.

When it comes to exercise its all about consistency. Set a time you will work out every day and stick to that, even if it's a quick one. Eventually, you will build the habit of doing it automatically, and make it part of your daily life.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
To me it helped to make it easy for the brain -> as little rules as possible.

When I was so overweight that I had liver problems, I made 3 commitments and have stuck with them for over a year now.

1. No Food before 1pm
2. Some exercise every single day
3. Only eat low calorie unprocessed foods.

At some point I started counting calories as well but realistically, you won't overeat with 2 low calorie meals a day.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Here's what has worked for me. Go find a few pictures of guys or people that have the body you want and look up to. For me, these were the ones.

Brad-Pitt-Fight-Club-Workout.jpghercules.jpghercules back.pngbaki.jpg

This plants an idea and goal you want to achieve. YOU MUST HAVE A CLEAR DESTINATION or A GOAL. Or else you'll always say "I'll do it tomorrow".

After knowing where you want to go, take a picture of how you currently look.

Ask yourself: what does it take for me to look like these people? What am I doing that puts me further from them?

Now realize every single time you can't be disciplined enough to lose weight ask: will the people I look up to make this choice?

If you want to become like them, then don't make a choice they wouldn't make.

The formula is simple.

First, you become the person that has the result you want. You must think and do things as they would. And then sooner or later you become them.

Here's proof of the concept.

For me I was skinny fat and didn't have any muscle. I had to bulk up. That's what the guys in the pictures above would do. I've been bulking ever since I got the images above glued in my head(a little over a year ago). Left side I was at 140 lbs. Right side I'm at 175 lbs. A few months from now, I'll be down by 20-25 lbs. 8-10% body fat. I'll be where I envision myself to be. The Greek statues. The Brad Pitt from fight club and troy. The Baki.

fat.pngworks.png

Oh yeah. The formula above works with every goal not just weight loss.

Last edited:

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Your goal is to find a diet that works for you, for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. The forever diet. No yo-yo dieting.
This is critical. When they study long term weight loss, the #1 factor is whether or not the person continued to follow their diet over time, NOT the specific diet they did.

There is no magic bullet, and all diets essentially work in the same way be reducing calories consumed. Take the time to find what you can be consistent with.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
This is critical. When they study long term weight loss, the #1 factor is whether or not the person continued to follow their diet over time, NOT the specific diet they did.

There is no magic bullet, and all diets essentially work in the same way be reducing calories consumed. Take the time to find what you can be consistent with.
Thanks

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Know that weight loss is controlled starvation. There are 7 billion ways everyone tries to lose weight and 5 billion of them might work, but they ALL have starvation in common.

It is simple. To not be fat, you need to not eat enough food to stay fat.

I am an all or nothing, black and white guy. Fasting is my favorite. The way I look at it, if I can go 48 hours without food, I can be any weight I want to be.

That said, drink a bunch of natural electrolytes without sugar or sweetener. It will help you not feel like crap.

Now go starve yourself!

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Know that weight loss is controlled starvation. There are 7 billion ways everyone tries to lose weight and 5 billion of them might work, but they ALL have starvation in common.

I am an all or nothing, black and white guy. Fasting is my favorite. The way I look at it, if I can go 48 hours without food, I can be any weight I want to be.

That said, drink a bunch of natural electrolytes without sugar or sweetener. It will help you not feel like crap.

Now go starve yourself!
Awesome thank you!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Calories are a stupid and dysfunctional model for estimating energy intake.

The goal is to fix your metabolism so that your natural satiety signaling works properly. You do that by removing carbs and eating less frequently (1-2 meals a day max). You will gradually become less and less hungry, and your body will naturally adjust to the new standard.

And when it comes to discipline, the only long term solution is to throw away all the garbage food in your house. Stop making choices, stop giving yourself the opportunity to cheat.

Fixing your environment and habits are what will enable you to get lean and stay lean for the rest of your life.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
One thing that has served as a great reminder to me is a digital scale that works with my phone and tracks weight over time.

I don't weigh myself every day but I make a point to do it, and it reminds me that I am falling a little short of my goals. I am not super fat or out of shape by any means, but I can improve.

That hard number keeps me from BSing myself though.

phantombot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 7, 2021
It really depends where you are on the journey and how much weight you need to lose.

A simple formula: Figure out how much your basic caloric needs are per day. Then maintain a deficit of around 200 calories.

For me, intermittent fasting and/or a keto diet really help.

But if you're just getting started on the journey, eliminate processed sugary food ASAP.

Anything processed probably has a bunch of sugar and junk. Including bread and "healthy" bars/snacks.

- Eliminate processed food as much as possible
- Set rules for when and what you'll eat
- Eliminate temptations (i.e. just don't buy the cookies/junk food, only eat at home/food from home, etc.)

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022

I agree there is no magic bullet. That does not mean that you have to suffer though. For example, you can save some calories by reducing the amount of olive oil you put in the food you cook. This way you save let's say 120 calories with the same portion size. This means that your satiety remains the same and you get to enjoy your favorite food without a sacrifice in taste.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Discipline actually doesn’t lose weight.

You can track every bite, step, never stray from your diet, and still get fat…if your plan sucks.

The only thing that matters is the effect of what you’re doing. It’s not emotional. Someone could ACCIDENTALLY lose 30 lbs. Maybe they move to a place and get a job that forces them to walk a few extra miles a day and the only convenient place to get lunch serves only salads. He doesn’t live with anyone so his breakfasts are a protein shake and that’s it. His dinner is a McDonald’s burger but by the end of the day he has walked 5 miles, and only ate 1800 calories. He’s going to be in shape.

Compared to the guy who wants to get in shape. He wants it so bad. He hates being fat. He’s so focused on getting in shape and all he wants is to lose 30 lbs more than anything in life. He reads all day about how to do it effectively. He settles on a Keto diet. He buys all the Keto ingredients, the special artificial sweeteners, the cauliflower pizza crust, the whole works. He eats his super high fat cheese soaked with butter and high fat meat. He gobbles down bricks of cheese for lunch. He wants a cracker but denies himself, “no carbs”. He eats 2800 calories a day and thinks he followed all the rules and wonders why he is still chubby.

I don’t try to have much discipline.

I don’t buy the bad food in the first place so it’s not tempting.

I have cheat days on Saturday so it’s easy to not break the diet since I only tell myself “I’m gonna eat it in a few days, just not today”.

I repeat my meals so they become a habit just like brushing my teeth.

I get as much food delivered as possible so I’m not at the store as much. Only to buy steaks, salsa, coffee and extra stuff like seasoning and oils, and everything else is delivered.

The diet focuses on only having carbs from “slow carb” sources that don’t spike insulin and result in storing fat. So eating things like beans and veggies is perfect for carbs. Then I eat protein. There’s no alcohol, sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, oats, dairy.

I eat eggs, meat, veggies, beans, salsa, salads, etc. breakfast is eggs beans meat and salsa. Lunch is salad. Dinner is meat and veggies. I love it. I don’t need much discipline. I eat 3-4 times a day but the meals are small like 400 calories each or something.

Small meals will shrink your stomach and make you full from less and less food. That’s why I didn’t like intermittent fasting. I was STARVING all the time and eating big meals meant any future meals I would stuff tons of food in without being full, and I got a loud growling stomach for half the day before my meals.

Go buy the 4-hr body by tim Ferris, lots of good stuff in there

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Discipline actually doesn’t lose weight.

You can track every bite, step, never stray from your diet, and still get fat…if your plan sucks.

The only thing that matters is the effect of what you’re doing. It’s not emotional. Someone could ACCIDENTALLY lose 30 lbs. Maybe they move to a place and get a job that forces them to walk a few extra miles a day and the only convenient place to get lunch serves only salads. He doesn’t live with anyone so his breakfasts are a protein shake and that’s it. His dinner is a McDonald’s burger but by the end of the day he has walked 5 miles, and only ate 1800 calories. He’s going to be in shape.

Compared to the guy who wants to get in shape. He wants it so bad. He hates being fat. He’s so focused on getting in shape and all he wants is to lose 30 lbs more than anything in life. He reads all day about how to do it effectively. He settles on a Keto diet. He buys all the Keto ingredients, the special artificial sweeteners, the cauliflower pizza crust, the whole works. He eats his super high fat cheese soaked with butter and high fat meat. He gobbles down bricks of cheese for lunch. He wants a cracker but denies himself, “no carbs”. He eats 2800 calories a day and thinks he followed all the rules and wonders why he is still chubby.

I don’t try to have much discipline.

I don’t buy the bad food in the first place so it’s not tempting.

I have cheat days on Saturday so it’s easy to not break the diet since I only tell myself “I’m gonna eat it in a few days, just not today”.

I repeat my meals so they become a habit just like brushing my teeth.

I get as much food delivered as possible so I’m not at the store as much. Only to buy steaks, salsa, coffee and extra stuff like seasoning and oils, and everything else is delivered.

The diet focuses on only having carbs from “slow carb” sources that don’t spike insulin and result in storing fat. So eating things like beans and veggies is perfect for carbs. Then I eat protein. There’s no alcohol, sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, oats, dairy.

I eat eggs, meat, veggies, beans, salsa, salads, etc. breakfast is eggs beans meat and salsa. Lunch is salad. Dinner is meat and veggies. I love it. I don’t need much discipline. I eat 3-4 times a day but the meals are small like 400 calories each or something.

Small meals will shrink your stomach and make you full from less and less food. That’s why I didn’t like intermittent fasting. I was STARVING all the time and eating big meals meant any future meals I would stuff tons of food in without being full, and I got a loud growling stomach for half the day before my meals.

Go buy the 4-hr body by tim Ferris, lots of good stuff in there
Thanks

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

Now go starve yourself!
This is awesome! You really put this in perspective for me. There isn't any way around hunger when you're losing weight.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Routine... I ate one steak a day, with a side of veggies for dinner... That's all I ate. I felt awesome and dropped 60lbs in 2 months. Now I eat mostly keto, my weight has stabilized at 165 and feel amazing. Start out with a 3 day water fast challenge. It's easier than you think.

Last edited:

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Routine... I ate one steak a day, with a side of veggies for dinner... That's all I ate. I felt awesome and dropped 60lbs in 2 months. Now I eat mostly keto, my weight has stabilized at 165 and feel amazing. Start out my a 3 day water fast challenge. It's easier than you think.
Awesome progress!

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Awesome progress!
Fyi the chuck roasts are very cheap cuts, and are large. I'd cut them in half. So basically I'd get 4 steaks for the price of 1 NY strip... Just grill em, add some butter... And they taste fantastic. Just slightly tougher.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
This may be the first post I feel I have experience with on this forum (see my progress photo below).

Exercise - while great for all around health, and it's a love of mine, doesn't equal weight loss. I run ultra marathons and despite during my peak running 100+ miles per week I gain weight if I don't keep track of my nutrition (note: nutrition rather than diet because diet to me means I'll stop at some point).

Nutrition - it's hard because you need to be in calorie deficit. There are loads of ways to do this, either by food restriction diets (e.g. keto, low-carb), fasting (e.g. 5:2 or 16:8) or just old fashioned calorie counting. Find what works for you (making sure you're not going to an extreme and it's in line with any medical advice/conditions) both in terms of keeping you in a deficit but also makes you feel good (energy levels, sleep etc) when you've done it for over two weeks.

If you want discipline and to stick to it you need to find the right mindset for you. I ended up in the shape in the image on the right by yoyo-ing and relapsing with the goal of "getting beach body ready". I got to the place on the left by focussing on feeling good and being able to perform in all areas of my life (sport, socially and at work) - if I felt sh*t it's was because of bad nutrition and that's on me (usually excess alcohol).

It'll take time, the below took me a couple of years and was by no means linear, but because it took so long, while not looking like that all the time I don't stray too far from it. Remember - it's all nutrition for weight loss!

IMG-20200415-WA0013.jpg The one on the left is the new one

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
weigh yourself daily and record it in a spreadsheet

track your all of your calories in excel spreadsheet. ignorance is a big reason for weight gain - sometimes you won't understand how much you're really eating until you tally up your daily calories

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
weigh yourself daily and record it in a spreadsheet

track your all of your calories in excel spreadsheet. ignorance is a big reason for weight gain - sometimes you won't understand how much you're really eating until you tally up your daily calories
Honestly I like measuring my waist once per week and weighing myself once per month.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Honestly I like measuring my waist once per week and weighing myself once per month.
I'd do daily, its exciting to see the weight fall off fast everyday. Have you started eating one meal a day yet? Preferably a big steak and no carbs or sugars?

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I'd do daily, its exciting to see the weight fall off fast everyday. Have you started eating one meal a day yet? Preferably a big steak and no carbs or sugars?
Thanks

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 10, 2019
Set daily habits to hit, rather than goals.
Use a habit tracker.
Eg, eat 200g protein today
Go for a 30min walk today

Think of all the ways you would do to GAIN weight. Then do the opposite actions.

Don't focus on your weight or measurements etc

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Set daily habits to hit, rather than goals.
Use a habit tracker.
Eg, eat 200g protein today
Go for a 30min walk today

Think of all the ways you would do to GAIN weight. Then do the opposite actions.

Don't focus on your weight or measurements etc
Thanks

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
- Learn how many calories your body uses a day, there are free online websites for that such as cronometer.com

- You can use the same app to write your food intake and It will calculate how many calories you intake also.

. Make it so you have less calories intake than your body's daily caloric use. Small caloric deficits of like 300-500 calories are good for just loosing fat and not muscle.

- You will feel hunger, perhaps even difficulty sleeping, letargy. That is a good sign. It is uncomfortable, otherwise everybody would be thin.

- Some say is best to have max 5 days caloric deficit and then do 2 days of maintaining or a small surplus, to avoid lowering metabolism.

- Pro Tip: eat low calorie food that takes a lot of space in your stomage, such as Pumpkins, Broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes. Etc.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
If your confused with how weight gain works, watch the video fat chance fructose 2.0 or sum by Dr. Lustig, it basicallys states that leptin tells fat go to brain, saying we have energy, and tells the brain stop eating, then thats when you start to get an energy spike, like when you give a 5 year old candy, they jump off the walls, but when you give an obese 5 year old candy, they dont get a sugar high, and thats because your leptin didnt get a signal, which didnt tell the brain to stop eating, so you keep eating, and in which it turns to fat, that means theres some kind of resistance stopping the transmission, and stuff like fructose is a restraint, causing you to not feel a difference, (fruits are still healthy, just not alot) anyways that sums it up have a good night lmao.

-John

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.