The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Difference between Amazon.com and Amazon.ca as a seller?

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
So got a bit confused over the week, what's the difference between them from a sellers perspective? It's to my understanding you can sell in both Canada and the US from both accounts so what other difference is there besides the fee? (39.99 USD vs 29.99 CAD)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
So got a bit confused over the week, what's the difference between them from a sellers perspective? It's to my understanding you can sell in both Canada and the US from both accounts so what other difference is there besides the fee? (39.99 USD vs 29.99 CAD)

If using FBA, there is no inventory shared. You have to stock inventory at Amazon U.S. warehouses, and you have to stock in Canada.

I had to register a Canadian Business Number to get my shipments to export into Canada.

Amazon Canada PPC is not good, at least in my niche. Whereas in on Amazon.com, ads often display at the top of search results, before any organic listings, this has not been the case in my category on Amazon Canada. The only ads displayed are at the bottom of the page... and this has resulted in a frustratingly slow launch process for a couple of products.

Everything is set up in Seller Central the same between U.S. and Canada, but they are treated as two separate entities. For example, in Amazon Canada, there are currently some restrictions on my category to new sellers, that are not in place on Amazon.com. So, you might run into some differences like this.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
This likely goes without saying- but if you're a US seller, make sure you're considering/managing the constantly changing FX rates (CDN $ currently trades at ~30% discount to USD, so you're looking at ~30% increase in price to offset)

Likewise, CDN sellers selling in the US benefit from a ~30% bump

In my book business, there's many cases where books sell "cheaper" in the US, but currency adjusted your better off w/ moving volume in this market

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
If using FBA, there is no inventory shared. You have to stock inventory at Amazon U.S. warehouses, and you have to stock in Canada.

I had to register a Canadian Business Number to get my shipments to export into Canada.

Amazon Canada PPC is not good, at least in my niche. Whereas in on Amazon.com, ads often display at the top of search results, before any organic listings, this has not been the case in my category on Amazon Canada. The only ads displayed are at the bottom of the page... and this has resulted in a frustratingly slow launch process for a couple of products.

Everything is set up in Seller Central the same between U.S. and Canada, but they are treated as two separate entities. For example, in Amazon Canada, there are currently some restrictions on my category to new sellers, that are not in place on Amazon.com. So, you might run into some differences like this.

I think i might have phrased something incorrectly. I understand their difference markets but registering on either site allows me to sell in either country. So what's the point of me registering on Amazon.com for 39.99 USD when i could register on amazon.ca for 29.99 CAD?

From what people told me on another forum is that there is no difference and to just go ahead with Amazon.ca and sell in the US while saving on the monthly membership.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's $10 dude. Register in your own country and stop worrying about it.

Everything everyone else said is bang on. I'm Canadian and sell in both Canada and the USA. They are different markets with their own quirks (Canada is easier to rank in my experience because there is less listed there, for example) but basically just open the account, ship your stuff to FBA in both countries and get going :)

That's odd. I never had to register a US business number to ship to the USA from Canada. Can you expand on why you needed that? I find it strange I don't need to do the same thing in the other direction.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
It's $10 dude. Register in your own country and stop worrying about it.

Everything everyone else said is bang on. I'm Canadian and sell in both Canada and the USA. They are different markets with their own quirks (Canada is easier to rank in my experience because there is less listed there, for example) but basically just open the account, ship your stuff to FBA in both countries and get going :)

Its not about the price, its about what im gaining/losing functionality wise. The price difference caused me to think that Canada was missing some features that the US received. Thanks for the tip though.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Its not about the price, its about what im gaining/losing functionality wise. The price difference caused me to think that Canada was missing some features that the US received. Thanks for the tip though.

No idea, but if I am in the USA I would register on Amazon.com.

VikiC

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 7, 2020
Canada
Hi VisionNN. I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to know what was your final decision, what seller account did you sign with? And why? Thank you.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Hi VisionNN. I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to know what was your final decision, what seller account did you sign with? And why? Thank you.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I dont visit the forums too often. I ended up just registering the US side as that was my primary market. I'm able to use the Canadian one too and it doesn't seem to be charging me twice but I also don't use it that often.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.