• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Did It: Zero to $12k a Month While Traveling the World

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by GoodluckChuck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    Happy to answer these questions. You caught me as I just woke up with a cup of coffee in my hand so prepare for some long-winded answers. :)

1.High end or low end for part time work... It varies. I say part time but to be honest I don't really know how much time I spend working. To be clear, when I saw work part time I mean work part time on paying projects. The amount of time I've spent reading, taking courses, practicing on my own projects, etc. would account for much more than full time hours if I added them all up. It's been an obsession for me.

Did any of this feel like work to me? No, because not only do I enjoy learning but the idea of taking action now that will pay off later is extremely motivating to me.

So, when I say I work part time, I mean I work part time on acquiring and delivering client projects. The rest of my time is spent working on myself and my own projects. Without the second part, the first part wouldn't be paying so much after 2 years. To quantify it with a guess, I would say I've spent about 15 focused hours per week average on client projects over the last 2 years.

The way I work is not focused so I quantify this by thinking "If the client was standing there watching me how much time would I bill them for." It's not uncommon for me to be doing research on how to do something while I'm doing it. Learning on the fly.

1.2 Do I plan to make it 100% passive? No. This model can't be 100% passive. Even if I hire someone to manage it all for me, I have to manage them so it will take some of my time. The MRR part of this model suffers from client turnover meaning some clients drop out after a while so in order to keep the income the same I have to be making constant sales.

My plan for the marketing agency is to keep it going organically as I focus my power on things that can be either more passive or bring in exponentially more income.

If I created something that was 100% passive I might sell it for a lot of $. I'm a busy body and the idea of 100% passive doesn't seem all that sustainable to me. The world changes as do the markets in it so nothing lasts forever.

2. Most difficult obstacles... To put it in a ratio I attribute my success 3:1 mindset to skillset. In the beginning I was terrified of selling because I was unsure of what I could deliver. I learned to rely on my commitment rather than track record because I didn't have one. I told myself, "If I get this job I will not sleep until I get the results I promised."

After a few projects, I realized this was a good way to go about things because it allowed me to take on projects I was under-qualified for while being confident enough to sell them. Don't get me wrong, it was still difficult to sell because I still lacked confidence. I would find a million reasons why not to get on the phone. This resulted in me taking lots of courses... (Action faking)

As my skillset grew from the courses and practice, my confidence did as well and I was better able to take bigger bites and be more ambitious with my endeavors.

When I look back now I can see it is mostly mindset and self esteem that separates me now from me then. I have experience but I'm not doing things a whole lot different than I was then. If I could have been more courageous a year ago I could have probably been making a lot more money then. On the same token, I could probably be making 5x what I am now just by having a more advanced mindset...

This is the way it goes. We see things from the perspective of the place we're at. That's why I spend most of my free time now working on understanding mindset and how to shape that. The difference between someone with 100k in the bank and 100b in the bank is the way they view themselves and the world.

Another huge obstacle for me was comfort. When I'm comfortable I get lazzyyyyy. Traveling helped get me out of my comfort zone where I perform much better and with more vigor and endurance. Being in a new place where nobody speaks the language or gives 2 shits about me made me feel like I had to work a lot harder to survive. This made me work a lot harder. This is why Mexico City will always hold a special place in my heart. It's where I found my inner strength and courage and built the momentum that carried me to where I am today.

2.2 Am I good at picking up new skills? Yes. I've always been really good at developing new skills. It's a strength of mine. As a kid I was always better than my peers at skate boarding, baseball, subjects in school that interested me (I almost flunked out of high school). On the flip side my weakness is that I have a hard time sticking with things once I break past the initial difficulty phase. I just get bored. Maybe that's why I run a marketing agency with no niche. I like to learn new things then move on. :) Discipline is a challenge for me.

As for why I can charge more than other web developers and designers... That's just because I choose to. Pricing in this industry is incredible arbitrary. In the Fox Web School gang we focus on value pricing because it allows us to create win-win deals with every client. If I can make someone 100k with a new website then charging 20k is still a no brainer for everyone.

Do I get a knot in my stomach when I throw out a high price tag? Yeah... When they say yes immediately I wonder if I could have asked for more... I get about 50% of the projects I propose so I think that's okay.

A lot of web developers and coders don't understand why they can't make as much. A lot of them are self-proclaimed "bad at dealing with people". That's just a mindset + skillset thing. It takes practice like everything else as well as the courage to suck at it for a while.

My message to anyone in this industry that wants to make more is this: Work on your people skills and sell your own projects. You can ask for as much as you want. If you have a full time job then ask for a high amount that you feel like you probably won't get. An amount that if you did get it, you could quit your job and start freelance full time. After enough sales calls you will eventually find someone willing to pay this... It truly is a numbers game.

2. Crazy GG

Crazy GG Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,589
    Hi @GoodluckChuck

Read you story - pretty amazing :)

Wanted to ask - how did you manage to get clients while travelling? Did you find that not being able to meet them made it harder for you to sell it?

Thanks in advance,

3. WillHurtDontCare

WillHurtDontCare Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $518
    You would probably enjoy Peak by Anders Ericsson. He is a professor of psychology who specializes in the study of expertise.

https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise/dp/1531864880

Quotes:

“You seldom improve much without giving the task your full attention."

“What works? What doesn’t? And why?"

"But if math works the same way as chess, then we have lost a whole collection of children who might eventually have become quite accomplished in these areas if only they hadn’t been labeled as “no good at math” in the very beginning."

"The regular cycle of try, fail, get feedback, try again, and so on is how the students will build their mental representations."

"I would argue that we humans are most human when we’re improving ourselves. We, unlike any other animal, can consciously change ourselves, to improve ourselves in ways we choose. This distinguishes us from every other species alive today and, as far as we know, from every other species that has ever lived."

"You don’t build mental representations by thinking about something; you build them by trying to do something, failing, revising, and trying again, over and over. When you’re done, not only have you developed an effective mental representation for the skill you were developing, but you have also absorbed a great deal of information connected with that skill."

"I get it. People want to believe that there is magic in life, that not everything has to abide by the staid, boring rules of the real world. And what could be more magical than being born with some incredible ability that doesn’t require hard work or discipline to develop? There is an entire comic-book industry built on that premise—that sometimes something magical happens, and you suddenly acquire incredible powers. Unbeknownst to you, you were actually born on the planet Krypton and you can fly. Or you were bitten by a radioactive spider and you can cling to walls. Or you were exposed to cosmic radiation and now you can become invisible. But my decades of research in the area of expertise have convinced me that there is no magic. By examining the case of someone with exceptional abilities through the lens of those two earlier questions I posed—What is the talent? What practice led to the talent?—you can pull back the curtain and find what is really going on."

Make It Stick is also a great book on the science of learning. It goes through why most study strategies yield mediocre results and how you can learn more effectively. It was written by a novelist & 2 psychology researchers (a storyteller & 2 scientists, so ideas that have merit and are well written).

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Stick-Science-Successful-Learning/dp/0674729013

Quotes

"Learning is stronger when it matters, when the abstract is made concrete and personal."

"In other words, the elements that shape your intellectual abilities lie to a surprising extent within your own control."

"Mastering the lecture or the text is not the same as mastering the ideas behind them."

"Trying to solve a problem before being taught the solution leads to better learning, even when errors are made in the attempt."

"The good news is that we now know of simple and practical strategies that anybody can use, at any point in life, to learn better and remember longer: various forms of retrieval practice, such as low-stakes quizzing and self-testing, spacing out practice, interleaving the practice of different but related topics or skills, trying to solve a problem before being taught the solution, distilling the underlying principles or rules that differentiate types of problems, and so on."

"Had he used the set of key concepts in the back of each chapter to test himself? Could he look at a concept like “conditioned stimulus,” define it, and use it in a paragraph? While he was reading, had he thought of converting the main points of the text into a series of questions and then later tried to answer them while he was studying? Had he at least rephrased the main ideas in his own words as he read? Had he tried to relate them to what he already knew? Had he looked for examples outside the text? The answer was no in every case."

"Many people believe that their intellectual ability is hardwired from birth, and that failure to meet a learning challenge is an indictment of their native ability. But every time you learn something new, you change the brain—the residue of your experiences is stored. It’s true that we start life with the gift of our genes, but it’s also true that we become capable through the learning and development of mental models that enable us to reason, solve, and create. In other words, the elements that shape your intellectual abilities lie to a surprising extent within your own control. Understanding that this is so enables you to see failure as a badge of effort and a source of useful information—the need to dig deeper or to try a different strategy. The need to understand that when learning is hard, you’re doing important work. To understand that striving and setbacks, as in any action video game or new BMX bike stunt, are essential if you are to surpass your current level of performance toward true expertise. Making mistakes and correcting them builds the bridges to advanced learning."

4. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    I've never met most of my clients face to face. Only phone calls and some video calls.

So, my clients come from all over.

While traveling I've met a lot of entrepreneurs and business people. I've got a lot of new jobs through contacts made while traveling. I have clients all over the world and tend to pick up work everywhere I go. Even if it's not immediate, it's not uncommon for someone to reach out to me 6 months later and ask if I can do something.

Andy Black and Crazy GG like this.
  5. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    This 100%. When people ask me how to get into something I tell them to try before they take any courses. I also suggest to write down what they know about the subject already. It's surprising how much you can guess about something and be pretty accurate. The more you do this, the better you get at guessing.

6. WillHurtDontCare

WillHurtDontCare Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $518
    And neuroscience backs you up. "You learn best by doing" isn't just a platitude, attempting to apply ideas is the only meaningful test of whether you understand them & doing so literally reshapes your brain by changing the neural pathways in it.

7. Patrik14

Patrik14 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm just about to start my way on the Fastlane and this motivated me a lot!
    Congratulations for reaching a life goal.

Regards from Germany

GoodluckChuck likes this.
  8. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,040
    This is a thread that has to be read throroughly and read multiple times. So many great nuggets here.

9. bumble_bee

bumble_bee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Thanks for sharing. Really inspiring stuff!

I would love some expert advice on the following:

I am thinking of starting a similar business that targets small law firms. Why?

I recently finished my law and public relations degree and my father runs a law firm. So I'm reasonably well connected.

I have built three websites on Wix. I am happy to learn advanced wordpress skills. I think I am a decent website designer. I can link the websites here, but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

I think I have a lot in common with you. Similar skills, mindset and values.

Also, my partner was asked to do some basic web design for a small law firm a few years ago. After reading your post, light bulbs went off!

Any tips and advice? Has anyone had success targeting small law firms?

10. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    Law firms is a great niche because they charge a lot of money so they can afford to spend heavy on customer acquisition.

My advice is to get going asap. Use your connections to find someone interested in generating leads with a website and use the project as a tool to learn how to do it.

Find how how much they can reasonably afford to spend and offer the service with a zero fee trial period that lasts until you are producing leads.

For law offices that are consumer facing and are in less than super competitive areas it's pretty easy to get leads by following best practices in web design and SEO.

Google Ads can supplement the SEO is beginning stages.

With so many law offices out there spending a lot on marketing there are tons of good examples to follow. I've even called companies in the past to ask them how they are doing so well...

If you aren't competing with them they will sometimes share their secrets. Just be straight up about your intentions. Might even have some future clients out of it.

11. bumble_bee

bumble_bee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $102

Thanks man! Will do

What do you think of the name 'Kelso Creative'?

kelsocreative.net is available

Do you see any issues with the name or the .net?

12. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    That's a fine name.

bumble_bee likes this.
  13. mdivljina

mdivljina Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $277
    Just wanted to say, great thread! @GoodluckChuck love the hustle. The advice on being overwhelmed and just the non-quitting attitude are great to have altogether. Keep it up everyone. ;)

14. Boris507

Boris507 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $60
    This thread is GOLD, took the time to read every post and found so many good pieces of gold nuggets. Highlighted the fact that my biggest issue is mindset + too many options + action faking . Need to work on that and thank you again for this amazing thread. You made me buy Tony Robbins Awaken the giant within ;)

Brad_Hurst and GoodluckChuck like this.
  15. GrandRub

GrandRub Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $156
    Great Thread! i binged the big webdesign thread by @Fox and it is cool to see someone crushing it with this approach!

got some questions :D

1. It is not simply about "web design" but about delivering results,Leads,Sales.. (Would you see a "better" brand because you got rid of a ugly outdated website as a result?)

Do you also manage Facebook ADs or AdWords for your customers? If content marketing makes sense - do you make a monthly plan for contentcreation? Do you also optimize print advertising, flyers or something? How "holistic" is your approach?

Fox writes in his thread that he never got a lead through his website. You write that you get 50% of your customers through your website. Do you rank high for relevant keywords? What do you do differently than him?

16. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    Good questions. Let me answer:

I have certainly ended up with a generalist agency that does everything. That means my approach is very holistic. Once I figured out how to identify what other businesses are doing, it became realistic to copy and adapt approaches to fit my clients and their markets.

Rarely do I complete a project that is just a website. Almost always, there is some form of SEO, content marketing, and off-website assets like Google My Business, Yelp, etc.

For half my clients I generate leads. For the other half I build systems that generate leads. That's the value in what I do. There's also an element of business consulting. Just last night I was talking to a startup who is trying to launch an app this summer. They wanted to draw on my experienced background in construction and marketing.

Bottom line = I add value. If I figured out today that I could add value better by making socks, I would make socks. I follow the value rabbit.

Fox's strategy is heavily focused on the sales person. This is a great place to start because everyone is already equipped for sales even if they don't know it yet. We were all kids once convincing our parents to buy us McDonalds or a new pair of Nike Airs.

My story is just different. I was learning SEO and how the Google machines work and I've always been a good writer. I dropped out of college with F's but I always had an A in English. So, writing content makes sense for me.

My content generates enough attention to bring in leads and other opportunities.

Most people say that blogging is saturated and that it's too late to start a blog. Luckily for us, that's total bullshit. If you know how to use Ahrefs you can find too many blogging opportunities to list. By the time you're done taking advantage of the ones you find, 1000000 more pop up.

So yea, I do things differently than Fox, but I use his sales technique to close large sales. He was my guide at the beginning. Now I'm looking for a guide to show me how to get to the next phase which for me is building a team and a real business. Possibly niching down.

17. GrandRub

GrandRub Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $156
    Thank you for that in depth reply. covered all my questions.

one more thing. maybe thats a good exemple for your approach and interesting for others as well.

last week i started looking for websites and "selling systems" (dont know how to explain that in proper english) that i could improve and where i could add value.

i found a local store. very well known old store with a venue in the inner city. they have a good reputation and everytime i walk by there are some people.
    they sell hats,gloves and luxury scarves... and they have no website.

how would you add value and help them getting more customers/sales ?

- obviously i would design a nice and clean looking website showcasing their store and some testimonials, press articles about them.
    - optimize their google places listing

my thougth is that paid advertising is a waste of money because they have no eCommerce store - and an ecommerce store is overkill and their USP is that "we are an old brick and mortar store selling hat since 1920"

any thougths on this? do you implement ecommerce stores as well? shopify or woocommerce? i think its great to sell 24/7 online.. but its also steady maintenance work and not the "make a static html website for an unsexy bsuiness and forget" approach.

thank you!

/last question i promise ;) - any good resources/blogs/etc you would recommend`?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $7,113
    When I come across prospects I try and gauge how close they are to pulling the trigger. If they aren't close, I've learned not to spend too much time trying to push people across the line.

The trick is to get exposed to people who already want a site and know how they will benefit. They are out there, you just need to find them.

Giving workshops is a great place to find clients. Talk about success stories you've contributed to and the people that can relate and want that will approach you. Then it's easy.

For your old store, they probably aren't looking for any buy change. They have done something that works for a long time and might be afraid to stray from the path. It's still worth talking to them though. "Have you ever thought of selling online?"

Everyman and GrandRub like this.
  19. Mass

Mass It's about time Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $424
    Deleted!

Wrong Thread Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  20. MattR82

MattR82 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,176
    Ah damn, I only just saw this thread.

This is awesome man. That was some fun times in Bali arguing over who gets the whiteboard pen and dodging earthquakes lol.

I always felt like I was a year or so behind you so I'm looking forward to getting to this point haha.

21. TJko

TJko PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Nice! :)

22. WillHurtDontCare

Rep Bank:
    $518
    I !$@#ing love this phrase. It makes me want to shotgun a beer then go sprinting.

GrandRub and GoodluckChuck like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.