• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! Did It: Zero to $12k a Month While Traveling the World

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by GoodluckChuck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Amoney21

Amoney21 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $46
    This is hilarious as I am based in Spokane as well, so crazy to see the local home town mentioned on the forum LOL. Whereabouts are you? I read Fox's thread a while back as well, I am out in the valley and would love to go out for a beer. I had to post because you never see anyone from Spokane, cheers mate and thank you for the thread, killer read.

GoodluckChuck likes this.
  2. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    Wow, I'm honored. Thank you MJ.

Thank you for starting and maintaining this community. I can't imagine the ripples you've started and how big of an impact you've had through the lives you've changed.

It's so cool that I can connect with the person who sparked the fire for me in the beginning.

Roots, Boris507, Dameron and 3 others like this.
  3. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    I'm actually in Cda, but I bounce back and forth. I'm here for 2 days then I head to the other side of the world for 3 months. Send me a PM or find me on FB and let's grab a beer before I go!

4. D.I.Schuyler

D.I.Schuyler Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $221
    Awesome job! Thank you for your testimony. I definitely resonated with what you said in the beginning of you post..."normal pattern for me where I would alternate back and forth between extremely unproductive behavior and the highly motivated obsessive though short lived pursuit of something more." It got to the point where I said enough is enough.

I'm a year in to my ecomm business and I've had many success and failures during that time, but I keep moving forward and working toward my first goal of hitting five figures /mo. This will allow me to finally quit my job and start living life on my own terms and beyond.

I look forward to reading more great things from you.

5. ChristopherK

ChristopherK New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    Did you develop this mentality through concsious effort, or did it come naturally ?

For most people, as you said, the thought process i guess for doing something hard is probably like that:

1. Ok, let's get the ball pump
    2. What ?! It's not where it's supposed to be ? Okay... take a look around... Nope, can't find it.
    3. Ask someone else if he/she saw it
    4. if no -> give up and play gameboy

Can you describe yours ? :D

Also: You mentioned the tony robbins books: Did you do all the 'exercises' he mentions ? If yes, did those had an effect on you ?

6. Hijena1

Hijena1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $506
    Thank you, my friend, for this story! Encouraging, simple and right to the point.

Boris507 and GoodluckChuck like this.
  7. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    I have a brother that is very skilled and very unsuccessful at web development. I sent him the link to this thread.

Great work on all your successes!

Boris507 and GoodluckChuck like this.
  8. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034

First of all, back when I read TMF I decided then and there I was going to make it happen for myself. Up until that point I guess I just wasn't sure if it was something I could do. Once I learned that other people just like me were changing their lives, I knew there was a way I could it as well.

The thing about mindset is that it's a feedback loop. I look at it like this:

1. I decide to start persevering on everything in my life.
    2. I make my way through various situations that require me to try over and over to succeed at something before I get the results I'm after. This is a new pattern of behavior for me so I have to make a conscious effort to do it.
    3. My subconscious mind and nervous system get used to this mode of action slowly over time.
    4. The decision sinks in even deeper and becomes something I do unconsciously. It becomes who I am.

I think this is true in every part of life. This is why knowing is never as good as doing. Knowing something consciously is easy and only uses a small part of your brain. Doing something allows the rest of your brain and body to know it as well.

The way I made sure I would follow through is I designed my living situation so that I had no choice. At least I felt like I had no choice. This was key.

As far as Tony Robbins' material, I didn't do all the exercises the first time through. Just reading was enough for me to have a thousand epiphanies about life based on my past experiences and current interactions with others.

I've read through Awaken the Giant Within twice and did the exercises in my head the second time. I also listened to Personal Power II while driving to and from work and did the exercises in my head.

A little hack I did was using my Apple Watch to set myself reminders to "consider the pleasure and pain of a decision I made that day". After a month or so of practicing thinking of things in terms of pleasure or pain the material really started to sink in and all my interactions with others improved.

I will go over this material once a year for the rest of my life as I think it's so critical to understand how and why do things on an individual basis. It helps a ton with copywriting and sales as well, understanding why people do what they do.

Simply understanding the fundamentals of human behavior is incredibly effective for business. Think about it, business is all about trading humans value for money. Understanding what they find valuable, why they find it valuable, and how they decide to buy it gets you a really long ways towards having a successful company.

Besides business, Tony Robbins' material has helped me understand my friends and family better which has given me A LOT more empathy for them than I used to feel.

Roots, Boris507, Dameron and 10 others like this.
  9. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    Someone asked me in a private message how I recommend they get better at sales. I thought the response would be useful to others in here so I'm posting it publicly.

"Hey! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm glad you got something out of it.

As far as sales goes, it's actually really easy. It starts with truly understanding people and why they do what they do. I learned a lot of this from Tony Robbins.

The way I make sales is I talk to my prospect and do my absolute best to understand them, their business, what they are trying to do, what is holding them back, and what they would like from me. A lot of it is just asking a ton of questions until there's nothing left hiding.

Once I have a clear understanding of the entire situation, I know whether or not I can help them. If I can, I make a plan and present it to them while making sure they know that what I'm really selling is my commitment to solving their problem. If I can't help them then I try to point them to someone who can.

Sales really starts with a mindset of wanting to help as much as possible. Forget about yourself completely and focus 100% on helping them achieve their goals. The cool thing is that if you can get good at helping other achieve their goals, money will magically find it's way to your bank account.

There are lots of strategies, tips, and tricks when it comes to sales, but starting from a place of wanting to make your customers' lives better is the best way to go."

Storm24, Boris507, bilguun and 11 others like this.
  10. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,276
    epic story, im jelly

11. El_Johnson23

El_Johnson23 P.C.O. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $312
    Awesome and congratulations on your success! Great story and very inspiring.

12. Jasonthedream

Jasonthedream New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    Can you say a little more about getting business from the content youbahve produced? Where are you posting this stuff? How do you decide what to focus on? I love the idea of providing value first via content but don’t want it to get lost ...

13. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    While I build websites for clients I also build them for myself. Most of them are simply a hand full of articles about a certain topic that I have expertise in.

I use a tool called Ahrefs to research what websites are out there, what keywords they rank for, and roughly how much traffic those keywords generate. This way, if there's a topic I want to write about, I can do research and know how to make my content get found by more people.

The techniques I use branch into many different disciplines such as SEO, content marketing, email marketing, as well as web design.

Once the content is written, I promote it through various channels like Facebook, Medium, etc.

A good way to start is to write things about your local area. Local topics are typically easier to rank for because they are more niched.

I understand where you are coming from when you say "but I don't want it to get lost" but you have to get rid of that mindset. This tiny sentence turned an actionable idea into a non-actionable idea.

If you want to start making content, do it. Focus on helping people and you seriously can't go wrong. Once you have 20 pieces of valuable content I can almost guarantee it will be found by someone. Even if it doesn't, you've already taken care of the hard part. Attracting eyeballs is easy when you have something of value.

14. Tanu1234

Tanu1234 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $226
    Awesome. How do you make connection while living at new place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Tanu1234

Tanu1234 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $226
    Awesome. How do you make connection while living at new place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    All sorts of ways...

Facebook groups was a big one. There's a "foriegners in x" group in every city I visited.

17. journeyman

journeyman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $957
    Excellent. Thanks for showing us what's possible.
    I'm only at the beginning of my web development freelancing business but I look forward to making enough money to do just that and have back my freedom and location independence.

Boris507 likes this.
  18. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    If I can do it, anyone can.

You will alternate between really excited and unsure whether it's the right path. It's normal.

When you are taking lots of action and things don't seem to get happening, that's a good sign. It means you're getting close to a breakthrough. If you can learn to recognize these feelings and use them to give you a boost of energy and effort, you will make it.

Don't give up before you succeed! If you want to give up, do it after.

Cheers

Roots, Boris507, Dameron and 6 others like this.
  19. Amoney21

Amoney21 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $46
    This thread has seriously helped me a ton and I thank you greatly for it! Would you say most of your clients are local (ish) to your area or is the bulk of your clients not remotely close to the PNW? Globalization is so crazy nowadays and it is seriously awesome as well as inspiring that you can travel the world with web design and still help out specific clients.

20. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    80% of my clients are not in my local area. In fact, I would say half of them I've never even spoken to face to face. It is incredible when you think about...

I'm glad you got something from my story. Cheers.

21. Shri Kanase

Shri Kanase Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    Your story was really an inspiration to me man because I feel as if I'm in the same situation.

I already have an online store which has done over 6 figures but is rather seasonal so most of the months, I'm just sort of floating by. Because of the marketing skills I gained from the store, I have a YouTube channel and also do mentoring for many people. In fact, I sell a course as well.

But my main goal had been an agency or something scaleable which can be scaled all the time. I'm not sure which direction to head in or what to do

22. Anakalypsi

Anakalypsi Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $200
    First of all, thank you for sharing your story here. Stories like these really motivate me a lot and give me much hope.

Haha so true.

You made that move quite fast which speaks to your success!

That is just f*cking great!

Found this especially appealing today.

Last, good luck and fortune on your further journey and scaling your business!

Dameron and GoodluckChuck like this.
  23. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $6,034
    Wow you have a lot going on. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Have you determined that what you're doing now isn't going to work? It sounds like you might be in a period of little feedback which is always a challenge to get through.

I would say double down on what you're doing and try to make it work. You might be close to pay dirt.

Agency business is good but it isn't as scalable as YouTube or selling courses.

Dameron and Shri Kanase like this.
  24. Shri Kanase

Shri Kanase Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    That's the thing; I'm actually a college student but I put in almost all of my free time into turning this store into a brand.

That means all of my packages get shipped with the store's logo and I also have a blog. It's more self-doubt all the time which causes me to think whether I'm in the right direction or not.

And my course doesn't sell as much right now, mainly because I rely on traffic from my Youtube channel. The Youtube channel is at 3.3k subs and growing fast.

At this point, would you recommend I go all in on what I'm already doing or try to create more opportunities? It's really hard juggling school and all this so just like you, I was planning on "leaving" school for a year meaning take a gap year. However, I'm not sure where I would be at the end of this gap year

25. Surf16

Surf16 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $641
    Great post @GoodluckChuck. I loved reading your progress thread. You are a very captivating writer.
    Are you building them from scratch (programing/coding) or using a platform (ex.Shopify) and helping clients setting them up that way?

I have a Shopify store and when people tell me how good my website looks and that I must know a lot about computers I feel guilty that it is a template from Shopify.

But then I think about walking into local businesses and helping them get leads by upgrading their websites, social media pages and overall marketing.

Do you target companies that have low quality websites and do not seem to be to internet save?

Thanks!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.