• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! Did It: Zero to $12k a Month While Traveling the World

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by GoodluckChuck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MB Burnette

MB Burnette Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $126
    This quote has described me up to this point!

Self-talk, self-esteem...self-confidence is so important. And positive action-movement.

Thank you GoodluckChuck for your post. Inspirational brother.

2. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    It's hard for me to give super specific advice without knowing the details but I can say with confidence that building on current and past success is easier than starting over.

It's easy to get shiny object syndrome when you see others killing it in different areas, but you have to take that into account.

You say you make sales for your course through YouTube and your following is growing fast. So, why not focus on that?

Have you created your own progress thread for these projects? I'm sure if you gave everyone more details you would get good feedback.

Shri Kanase likes this.
  3. GoodluckChuck

GoodluckChuck Grateful Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    Let me ask you, if you could bake a delicious, great looking cake with any oven, then how important is the oven?

I use WordPress to build 99% of the websites I build. I use page builders which make it easier.

My clients don't hire me for the tools, they hire me for the results I get.

What goes on the website and how it fits in with their sales system, business, and customers experience is where I add the real value.

Business is all super simple. People will pay for what they want or need, so if you can deliver that, they will pay you for it.

People don't come to me for websites. They come to me to help them sell more product and acquire more customers.

4. Shri Kanase

Shri Kanase Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    Yes, I'm currently already focusing on that and am posting on a consistent basis. The only issue is, I also wanted some extra sources of income to be on the safe side.

But you think working on my personal brand and trying to grow that should be my #1 priority? I was also planning on opening more websites to sell other things but not sure whether it's worth spreading out my focus or not.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  5. Andy Daniels

Andy Daniels Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,492
    Helping others and providing value should be your #1 priority.

You also need to be monogamous with your business. I like to quote Ron Swanson here:

"Don't half-a$$ two things, whole-a$$ one thing"

Boris507, Roz, Lee H and 2 others like this.
  6. Shri Kanase

Shri Kanase Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    But how do I know it's the business which will take me to the next level and not something I'm just wasting time on?

I mean, it has shown positive results but its not consistent..

7. Young Money

Young Money New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $94
    So much self doubt.. you’re gonna have to change your mindset before you hope to succeed.

No one here can tell you if your business will succeed or fail, but if you don’t try then you are guaranteed to fail.

8. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,976
    Incredible story and I find myself in your position.

GoodluckChuck likes this.
  9. demirciler

demirciler New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    The most inspirational thing I read in 2019 so far. Thank you for sharing this epic story.

Your mindset is very similar to me, and I am also o huge fan of Tony Robbins. Awaken the giant within is the first self-help book I read and it literally has blown my mind.

I had a question about sales. How do you know if you actually can't help a client or you think in that way because you are afraid of something or avoiding pushing your comfort zone?

How you can be sure you will get real results to your client, and you are a great fit for the job?

10. RayofLight00

RayofLight00 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Amazing story. The part where you questioned yourself after having played ten hours of video games did it for me, along with making moves and actually deciding to be a better person. I saw a lot of myself there, except the making moves part Lol.

I'm really interested in doing business online and providing a service for people. Something that can help another person with a project or something they care about. I enjoy helping people and want to take an online approach.

Are there any resources you can link to that can be utilized by beginners/entry level computer users to learn web design/marketing skills? Thank you again for the inspiring story.

11. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    I base decisions off too main things.

1. Past results

Have I done this before? Based on past results can I expect to get the desired results?

A lot of marketing and sales is numbers and probabilities. With a big enough pool of prospective customers I can be reasonably certain to make some sales.

2. My time constraints.

Like it or not, time is always a factor in this type of service, whether it's mine or someone else's that I'm paying for.

When I sell a project the main thing I'm selling is my commitment to produce the results. This is where the confidence comes from. I am certain that I can do it, it's just a matter of how long it will take.

I weigh time with other more subjective factors like:

Do I like this client?
    Do I like this project?
    Do I like this market?
    Is this a bite I can chew?

In the beginning I asked questions just like this. "How do you know if you can get results?"

You can know with your conscious brain by learning how others do it.

You can learn with your sub conscious brain and nervous system by doing it.

In the end, you never know for sure. You just get more confident in your ability.

If you can manage to commit 100% to it, then you know you'll either make it happen or die. Of you die, then who cares? :)

12. triodine

triodine New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $33
    RayofLight00 and Roz like this.
  13. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    These are great resources...

My suggestion is to split your time in half between doing and studying.

My approach to trying new things had changed a lot.

I start by writing down what I know now. I make a list of questions as thorough as I can and I answer them with my present knowledge.

Let's use surfing as an example since I'll be trying that soon.

I have never surfed or taken a lesson. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it though and applying my knowledge of snowboarding to what I expect surfing to be like.

Next, I'll rent a board and go give it a try. I'll probably struggle at some parts and be pretty good at others.

Then I'll go get a lesson. By this time I'll already have some working knowledge and experience to use as a foundation for learning the details. I'll likely have some questions and be able to get more out of the lesson than I would have with zero foundation.

This is what I recommend for people starting something like web design.

First, write down the steps you'll take the best you can with your current knowledge. Then, go find a YouTube video and follow along in buying a domain, setting up hosting, and start in on building the site.

See how far you can get. It will be a struggle and that's GOOD.

If you reach points you can't progress past, use Google to help. You can literally Google your way to building anything online...

Once you have a website live and you have produced something, then go find a course.

You will have a solid foundation of experience to build your knowledge on.

Without the foundation the knowledge will have no leg to stand on.

Ive learned to use courses as a boost rather than a foundation.

I'm sure will disagree, but one thing we can all agree on is that it's really easy to get into the trap of taking tons of course and feeling like you're taking action even though you aren't actually producing anything.

Producing vs Consuming 101.

Boris507, Required, redplant and 9 others like this.
  14. keith4444

keith4444 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $272
    Excellent thread! Reps transferred :cool:

15. JohnD Realestate

JohnD Realestate Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,214

Wowza. That’s good stuff. Thanks for dropping this valuable info.

16. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    Since I started this thread I've been trying to think of more valuable experiences I could share that would be helpful to you guys and gals.

One thing I think we all struggle with, especially in the beginning is getting overwhelmed.

In the beginning of 2018 I was constantly feeling like I was barely keeping my head above water. My mind was plagued with doubts of whether or not I was making the progress I desired.

The solution I found helped a lot. It's possible that the method I'm about to share is one of the main reasons I've had the success I've had.

It's called the Power List method. The power list is a concept made popular by a man named Andy Frisella. Hid podcast The MFCEO Podcast was a great source of inspiration and motivation for me during this time.

The power list concept is simple. You start every day by writing down the 5 more important things you have to do that day. No matter what happens, you make sure those 5 things get done. Even if you don't do everything on your agenda, if you do this 5 things, you win the day.

What isn't immediately apparrent about this productivity method is how effective it is at negating feelings of being overwhelmed.

The way I see it, even if I can't get to everything I want to do, or even remember everything, as long as I do those 5 things every day, I am headed in the right direction.

Frisella did a podcast about this. I think it was called "trust your instruments."

He likened being an entrepreneur to being an airplane pilot flying through fog. You can't see where you're going, but you have instruments that guide you one mile at a time and you have to trust they will take you in the right direction.

The power list is my instrument and I know that as long as I keep doing those 5 things each day, I will get to where I want to go. It's inevitable.

This takes a lot of the pressure off and let's me relax and enjoy the process.

A tool I use for my power list is called Trello. I create a card for each day and have 30+ days of cards made ahead of time.

I use these cards as my schedule. If I have an appointment or a sales call coming up, it goes on my power list.

If I'm working on a project, I break it into pieces and put those pieces on various power lists.

I start each day by opening up Trello and looking to see what I have on the list. I complete everything on there and I move the card to the 2019 folder.

I don't worry about what's on the list tomorrow or next week. I don't dwell on the mountain ahead of me. I just focus on what is on my plate today.

This breaks the gigantic process of building a multi-million dollar lifestyle into tiny bite sized chunks that are easy to swallow.

This keeps me from getting overwhelmed and even allows me to enjoy the process.

I can look in the 2018 Trello board and see 365 cards with completed power lists. The life I'm enjoying today is a result of the work that is displayed on those cards.

With this method literally anyone can do anything one power list at a time.

Thank you Andy Frisella for this awesome podcast. If you want to learn more about this concept you can listen to the episode here: Trust Your Instruments, with Andy Frisella - MFCEO183A

If you are feeling overwhelmed about the mountain of work you see in front of you, try the power list method. I promise it will change your life.

Boris507, Dameron, Required and 8 others like this.
  17. ChristopherK

ChristopherK New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    This year after every quarter i take a few days off and review what has happened so far. I set new goals, plan the next 3 months and ask myself what can i optimize about my business. I see it like a software version, so after this quarter, my business is V1.1

Today was the day where i tried to find a way to keep track of the most important stuff that needs to get done every day. Just now, i see this wonderful post from you with this neat technique.

I'm by no means a religious person, but i think that at some point, the universe is trying to tell you something... :D

Nice post Chuck, please please please share more of those valueable experiences you had so far in your journey!

18. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,976
    What is your sales process and sales turn around look like? Do you do the majority of your sales accessing your network or is it cold email/phone call? What is your success rate if you were to approach 100 businesses? I find most people that get into digital marketing are very secretive (no idea why) about their success or failures.

19. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    Sales is a numbers game.

In the beginning I did a bit of networking. Networking events were not very lucrative as they were mostly made up of insurance salesmen and mortgage brokers.

The kind of networking that worked for me was reaching out to other web designers and marketers. The fact is people don't have a ton of friends so if you call them up and offer to buy them lunch, they usually say yes.

With a hand full of people referring me work about 50% of new projects come from this channel.

The other 50% comes through my website.

I don't do any cold outbound but I would if I had no clients.

Sales process is simple.

1. First touch to schedule a longer call.
    2. Second touch I'll try and get as many details as I can about their challenges and goals.
    3. Third touch is about reviewing their pain points and presenting a solution to their problems while informing them about what I discovered while researching their business/market. I always try and close them on the phone at this point before I send any kind of proposal.
    4. When they soft close on the phone I'll send a proposal/invoice. If they don't immediately pay then I follow up weekly until they pay or ask me to stop. Sometimes I have to follow up 10+ times. People are weird and they have their own reasons for not responding right away.

Another good % of work comes from past clients and their referrals.

As for secrets, there's no need to be secretive. There are a bajillion businesses out there that need marketing and a shortage of good people to give it to them.

People who think the market is saturated are making excuses why they dont have success in the industry.

Dameron, splok, MakeItHappen and 2 others like this.
  20. Kruiser

Kruiser Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,702
    Chuck! I just saw this. This is awesome! Congratulations! It seems like yesterday you were showing me your first couple of one page sites when we met up for coffee at the New Seasons in Orenco Station (remember that place?). Your story is a great lesson on how quickly things can change if you manage your mindset and take massive action.

21. hydemx

hydemx Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $149
    What an amazing story, I've felt like that so many times: I want to do a billion things but end up not doing any. Thanks for sharing your journey and if you ever come back to Mexico City, let me know, I'll gladly invite you some rounds of beers, or I can show you around the city!

22. mercenariez

mercenariez Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $107
    Hi @GoodluckChuck ,

Thank you for sharing. Some questions if you don’t mind answering:

1. You state that you are now working “part-time hours” for your 12k/mo (revenue?). Would you say you are on the low end or high end of the “part-time range” in terms of hours worked at present (e.g. 5hrs per week vs 25).

Do you have any plans to make this 100% passive or do you see yourself as always doing part time hours here and there indefinitely?

2. What were some of the biggest and most difficult obstacles you encountered during this process? From your post you made it really sound like a walk in the park (e.g. you travelled the world whilst doing this).

Do you see yourself as relatively talented at learning new things? You seemed to have been able to distinguish yourself as a website creator in the website market after only 2 years, when many website creators probably have trained for many more years than that yet probably still make much less income than you do.

23. BigDaddyKane

BigDaddyKane Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $426
    Immersion.

I've always pictured this in an abstract kind of way. I call it the "Hello World" model which I've written about. Basically when I approach "creating content" I start by writing or speaking (audio record) an idea. This gets archived and published in one way or another onto the internet. Someone will find it. And so I rinse and repeat - each time refining the strategies behind it. But ultimately, it's about having something valuable to say to your audience. Like you said the hard part is done.

Yup.

24. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    Thanks man! Long time no see. We should catch up sometime. Would love to hear how you're getting along.

Dameron likes this.
  25. GoodluckChuck

Rep Bank:
    $5,929
    I recently met someone who lives off an affiliate website and uses the funds to not only pay his bills but travel the world. He works only a few hours a week and has for the last few years.

His strategy?

Post and pray.

He has posted around 1000 articles with no other strategy than sheer numbers and it worked.

redplant likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.