The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Designer Handbags Wholesale

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I've been dabbling in some handbags here recently and I built an example site for another thread tonight, but I will go on to use it eventually as I improve it. This one happens to be offering designer handbags.

You will be able to find many types of handbags, all presorted for you by style, brand, and probably price (hopefully, we'll see how ambitious I am).

But from where? Well right now it's set up only to offer you handbags on ebay. I may expand this into other databases, such as overstock, amazon, and so on.

Designer Handbags Wholesale

I haven't had a header designed for it yet, so it's a shade incongruent, as well as unfinished. New handbags will be updated every day and those that are auctions will be removed to keep things pruned.

Shoulder Bags will be available here as well.

This thread will serve updates as they are added, but please use the other thread for site questions related to the other topic. Feel free to discuss anything handbaggish (<--- eek!) and by all means, if you see something you don't like, post away!

Sank you sank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The site took forever to load to the point I wouldn't have stuck around ... but I did because it was yours.

Absolutely love the idea so much, I might steal it. =)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
The site took forever to load to the point I wouldn't have stuck around ... but I did because it was yours.

Absolutely love the idea so much, I might steal it. =)

Really!? F*ck I was afraid of that... better switch to the vps.

It has couple crons that run to make it totally hands off, as well as some other automation = slow. I threw it on a reseller account to keep asshats from reverse ip'ing my networks... obviously not enough balls behind her.

Thank you very much for mentioning that! didn't bother to check.

Steal it? lol You bein a smartass!?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes being a smartass ... love the idea and think it could be a need filler and need fillers make $$!!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Great concept.

It would be very cool if you could add bigger pics from each handbag (maybe display a bigger pic on mouse-over for the current pic). It may slow the load up but most buyers --or all of them-- should pic one based on the image and the way it looks. With small pics it is harder to identify the handbag, don't you think?

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
You know what else is a need filler... small handbags. Oversized bags are annoying to a lot of women. small ones are soooo hard to find that have a zipper inside and one outside. and that actually have a few pockets inside to hold your CCs. most small ones are designed for a dress purse... with hardly any pockets.

Since NY is the fashion capital they make them huge.. and most walk to get around without cars.. like Sarah on Sex in the City... they have to put their blow dryers in... but, most of the country do not need a huge bag to carry their life in.. that's what a car is for.

I recently found a great little purse (which I usually buy up the inventory when I finally find one) after searching for over a year... of course I only look when I'm in a store.. but, it's frustrating. .. and they only had 2 in stock.. so, I'll be on the hunt again in soon enough.

I get so many compliments on it.. and other women are like.. where did you get that.

Besides a designer said to me once.. "Do you want people looking at your handbag or you?" ... ohhhh .. good point... for networking purposes.

Last edited:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Great concept.

It would be very cool if you could add bigger pics from each handbag (maybe display a bigger pic on mouse-over for the current pic). It may slow the load up but most buyers --or all of them-- should pic one based on the image and the way it looks. With small pics it is harder to identify the handbag, don't you think?

He is just pulling in the pics that are posted on eBay, so if the seller on ebay posts small pics than that's what his site has, if they post bigger ones, then the plugin using the API pulls those in.

Same for the descriptions, they are whatever the seller puts on ebay.

There is nothing manual (like re-sizing images or editing text) going on for this site.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Looks nice, what made you decide on this niche?

I checked out the traffic numbers w/ MS and it looks like there are about 1088 searches/day for this keyword and about 98,000 competing pages. The % of phrase to broad searches is 13%. Which tells me there is demand, however a decent amt of competition and the % of searches for this exact phrase are slightly low.

To top it off, since it is product focussed you have monetization from day 1 and it looks to be a high margin product :)

With that in mind, how do you plan to drive traffic- organic? Adwords? other?

Either way, good luck and keep us posted, also like how the domain registration is private, I know there was another thread that debated whether this was necessary or not as someone looking to sue can just subpoena the domain registrar, however, it would be a hassle for anyone to do this and would dissuade any "casual" complaints again the site, so IMO it's a good move :)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Really!? F*ck I was afraid of that... better switch to the vps.

It has couple crons that run to make it totally hands off, as well as some other automation = slow.

I think it is slow because you are doing a call to the eBAy api on every visitor. Better to setup your cron to call it once an hour or so and then cache the results.

Try WP Super Cache plugin, it may do for you without having to adjust your cron settings.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I totally agree that this site can go beyond eBay.

I believe this site can grow into a handbag aggregation site (pulling user content from facebook, twitter and youtube).

Here are some of my ideas.
  • Since you integrate with Google Map. You can open the door to local handbag shops to post their local inventory, promotions and deals with fees and allow people to tweet about it. It's like the yellowpage in the handbag world.
  • The big kicker will be getting the data directly from the local distributers without eBay as middle man, which will have better profit margin.
I am very interested in knowing where this site will head to?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would take out the word "classified" and put in the word "handbag". ...I don't want to buy a purse from a classifed ad.

If you can figure out a way to put the brands in the title that would be ideal.

I like the concept too. :)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Great concept.

Jonlee was right, non of this is manual. I'm only working with what is provided by users...one of the limitations of this, not mention this is an affiliate site and I'm not at the top of the food chain.

However I think what you meant is the listings on the index... those are rather small and I'd have to re customize the theme to change that. I'd be willing if most of the traffic didn't come in on the long tail. The listing pages aren't too bad most of the time, and if those pics aren't good enough, by all means, I want the visitor to click through. ;)

You know what else is a need filler... small handbags. Oversized bags are annoying to a lot of women. small ones are soooo hard to find that have a zipper inside and one outside. and that actually have a few pockets inside to hold your CCs. most small ones are designed for a dress purse... with hardly any pockets.

Since NY is the fashion capital they make them huge.. and most walk to get around without cars.. like Sarah on Sex in the City... they have to put their blow dryers in... but, most of the country do not need a huge bag to carry their life in.. that's what a car is for.

I recently found a great little purse (which I usually buy up the inventory when I finally find one) after searching for over a year... of course I only look when I'm in a store.. but, it's frustrating. .. and they only had 2 in stock.. so, I'll be on the hunt again in soon enough.

I get so many compliments on it.. and other women are like.. where did you get that.

Besides a designer said to me once.. "Do you want people looking at your handbag or you?" ... ohhhh .. good point... for networking purposes.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Nice to have someone speak about the subject matter. :) I will take your needs into consideration and maybe create a "small bag" category just for you. Promise to tell the world? ;)

He is just pulling in the pics that are posted on eBay, so if the seller on ebay posts small pics than that's what his site has, if they post bigger ones, then the plugin using the API pulls those in.

Same for the descriptions, they are whatever the seller puts on ebay.

There is nothing manual (like re-sizing images or editing text) going on for this site.

Right on Jonlee, totally automated. Lot's of setup time to nail it!

Looks nice, what made you decide on this niche?

I checked out the traffic numbers w/ MS and it looks like there are about 1088 searches/day for this keyword and about 98,000 competing pages. The % of phrase to broad searches is 13%. Which tells me there is demand, however a decent amt of competition and the % of searches for this exact phrase are slightly low.

To top it off, since it is product focussed you have monetization from day 1 and it looks to be a high margin product :)

With that in mind, how do you plan to drive traffic- organic? Adwords? other?

Either way, good luck and keep us posted, also like how the domain registration is private, I know there was another thread that debated whether this was necessary or not as someone looking to sue can just subpoena the domain registrar, however, it would be a hassle for anyone to do this and would dissuade any "casual" complaints again the site, so IMO it's a good move :)

I wanted to try it and I have a hunch for a small network of these down the road.

Organic mostly. On the private reg, generally I could care less about that... biz mailing, phone, etc... I do legit stuff anyway, so I have nothing to hide. Prolly a bulk buy with free private reg is why I have it.

I think it is slow because you are doing a call to the eBAy api on every visitor. Better to setup your cron to call it once an hour or so and then cache the results.

Try WP Super Cache plugin, it may do for you without having to adjust your cron settings.

I'm running cron jobs unless their malfunctioning, it's not user triggered.

Super cache isn't compatible at the moment... working on it!

I totally agree that this site can go beyond eBay.

I believe this site can grow into a handbag aggregation site (pulling user content from facebook, twitter and youtube).

Here are some of my ideas.
  • Since you integrate with Google Map. You can open the door to local handbag shops to post their local inventory, promotions and deals with fees and allow people to tweet about it. It's like the yellowpage in the handbag world.
  • The big kicker will be getting the data directly from the local distributers without eBay as middle man, which will have better profit margin.
I am very interested in knowing where this site will head to?

Great ideas Terrence. Unfortunately I'm not really that interested in this one niche to put in that much effort. It's purpose is hands off retail. But you are on to something... with a few small changes and a small network of these that capture a market space has value to vendors. More on that later (teaser- build affiliate income while establishing a marketable network);)

I would take out the word "classified" and put in the word "handbag". ...I don't want to buy a purse from a classifed ad.

If you can figure out a way to put the brands in the title that would be ideal.

I like the concept too. :)

First suggestion implemented! :) I agree on the second, there will be more sorting otpions coming, specifically by brand. Just don't wanna get ahead of myself just yet, as I think I'm going to bring in some amazon stuff straight away.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I will be implementing your ideas and look forward to more feedback! Thank you! :)

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the other thread... there's a post coming, as soon as I have a chance to write it, about how to build these for yourself, what paid tools make life easier, and so on.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, correct, I meant the index page. I am 99.999% sure that pic size is a resize that the theme uses and makes the pic fit in there. Or is it the original pic from ebay that size? (I wouldn't think it is).

So, what I meant was exactly that, work on the theme and try with a slightly bigger pic size to see if that makes any difference.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Yes, correct, I meant the index page. I am 99.999% sure that pic size is a resize that the theme uses and makes the pic fit in there. Or is it the original pic from ebay that size? (I wouldn't think it is).

So, what I meant was exactly that, work on the theme and try with a slightly bigger pic size to see if that makes any difference.

Yeah it would make a difference. There's already a problem with sizing in the last column.... maybe I'll resize and incorporate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.