The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Decision Crossroads

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Hi everyone,

I need help deciding on one of the following options:

1. Continue to try to learn HTML/CSS from scratch, with no prior programming experience, and apply such knowledge to a template that I bought, possibly settling for a less professional-looking initial website until I get some cash flow.
2. Save enough money to have a company on elance do my work for me (this could take several months to both save the money to pay for the project and get the project completed).
3. Partner with an entreprenueral-minded friend with fairly significant amounts of saved money and free time, and use that funding to create a decent website (from a business perspective I would love to have him as a partner, but he has a lot more money than me so I am not sure that I could arrange for an equal partnership)

It has been a while since I have updated my progress, but I am moving along and I am now at the point where I am trying to decide between a few options. Right now I am trying to create a simple, 5 page professional-looking website as basically a portal through which people can contact me directly for my services. Idealy, I would like to provide a website similar to a hertz/enterprise-type online reservation system, but I believe I am going to wait until my business grows before spending the kind of money that would be required to develop such a website. Basically, I am trying to balance the shoe-stringer approach with the outsource to experts approach. I know that both can work, but for someone like myself who isn't experienced in computer programming, is it better to study the programming and spend weeks or months trying to get a simple website right, or get my business launched as soon as possible?
Thanks a lot!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
My vote would have to go for option number 1. Get something up now, and get working now. Even if it is a sub-par looking site, it is better than nothing. Who knows what could happen between now and the time it will take to save up the money to pay someone to do it. Also, partnerships are great when you are both into the project equally. I found that on a past venture my partner, who had a lot of money (as well as a lot more than me into our project) felt that he deserved more because he put more money into the project. Things ended up not working out because he kept wanting more more more. I say use the template you have right now, and as sales come in, you can update later. Also, while you are updating the site, the old one is still up and making money.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on what happens!

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I have found personally that I learn the best when I am forced to learn it. As frustrating as it may seem doing #1 is probably your best bet. Build something mediocre but over time you will learn more and you can always update and tweak your template.

If you partner with someone it may benefit you in the short term but if they don't pull their weight and you end up learning how to do most of the stuff you want done, let's say in 2 years from now you are doing everything on your own, now all your profits are split in half between you and your partner. Once you bring on a partner you will be stuck with them. I guess it could turn out well if they are just as motivated as you are.

What's your site about??

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The website will basically serve as an advertisement/initial impression/contact vehicle for my camera and electronics rental business. My primary objective is to rent digital camera and photography packages for weddings and other events. Therefore, initially I only need a few pages describing what I do, the services I offer, how the customer saves money/increases value, and my contact information so they can order the services, which for now would be accomplished through emailing contracts, paypal information, and reservation dates (this is how a lot of vendors for my own wedding operated, so I figure it is an accepted way of doing business in that niche). Eventually, I would like a website where a customer can select a piece of eqipment, and dates from a calender that they would like to rent the eqipment, then an automatic payment portal and contract is generated, and then the customer is done. I know the second option is much more web resource intenstive than the first one, so I figure I'll start with the first one and reinvest the profits into forming the second enhanced website. The stumbling block is how professional my first website should look - on the one hand, I am asking people to eventually hand over hundreds of dollars to me, but on the other, I am itching to get my service out of the development phase and start making profits.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I know Andviv develops websites. You could contact him. I am sure he would be happy to help you or point you in the right direction.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Where did you get your template from? Some pre-made templates are VERY professional looking and can work out to make incredible profits for the amount of cash it costs to get it. Plus they serve as a very quick start and you can continue to learn writing HTML with it while building a better site. What software are you using to write HTML? If you are not using it you should really try out Adobe Dreamweaver. Great software for exactly what your doing.

I think because of 99.9% of people's mindset here you are going to get the same answer. If you get a site up now, even if it is a template that works, It will bring customers and revenue. If you have no site up and wait until you can have a freelancer do the site, you will be losing valuable time and money.

Here is a great thread that I think will put you in the right mindset:
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...e-entrepreneur-turned-venture-capitalist.html

Be sure to read the article about JFDI

Hope this helps and good luck!!

EntreViews

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 4, 2010
Tomball, TX
What kind of a budget did you have in mind? I have outsourced sites in the past for as little as 50 bucks a page. Maybe you could partner with someone to get you going in the right direction for a few bucks then you add the content. Just my 2 cents...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.