The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At a crossroads...to continue or not

Syndrome

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 5, 2022
Short version of the story is that I left my MS program in Criminal Justice back in 2017 without finishing due to family/work.

I was just curious about the program and how much I had left to go, so I emailed them and was informed I have half left (6 more courses) which would amount to $23,994 (excluding costs of books) to finish.

One side of me, hates leaving things unfinished. I would have finished the program many years before had I not had some emergency in the family and had to help them with their business full time.

The other half of me, is wondering what in the world am I going to do with a MS in criminal justice, knowing what I know now and feel about my future concerning my career.

Classes begin on August 21.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You don't want to do anything in criminal justice. So you're thinking about spending $23,000 just to finish something you started that you know you won't use...

Sounds stoopid to me. That's just pride messing with you. Here's a couple threads to help...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
What do you do for work?

What are your financial goals in the next 5 years?

What are you looking to achieve in general in that timeframe?

Why are you here?

Syndrome

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 5, 2022
What do you do for work?

What are your financial goals in the next 5 years?

What are you looking to achieve in general in that timeframe?

Why are you here?
I currently work in substance abuse/rehab. Before that, I did 8 years in the food industry. I spent plenty of time there to know I dont want to do that for the next 30 years.

I know for certainty that I want to pursue copywriting. There is a junior copywriter position that is open at an agency called Rescue which targets at-risk youths/teens/adults for substance abuse and reintegration strategies. That is something I could get into because of previous knowledge from my current job and I would get to do actual copywriting work.

While doing that, I will be building my own portfolio on the side and start with B2B/Commercial copywriting (brochures, white papers, ect) instead of flying headfirst into direct response.

I am here because I know theres another way. Back when I applied for graduate school, I had zero idea such community as this or others existed. I figured I might as well do something with my B.A. and get higher education for the sake of higher education with zero promise of prospects. I fell the lie once again as I did for getting into undergrad.

Didnt even know what "copywriting" was until 2018 and then I found Millionaire Fastlane by some strange accident.

Think I answered my question here by writing this out. I'm clearly not into the program and this degree in criminal justice is not very versatile in the marketplace. You're either in the field of law enforcement, corrections, rehabilitation, courts, ect.

I can only see maybe the private sector (ie. investigations) being a viable source for income after such an investment of time and money spent.

I see that I have the "sunk cost fallacy" issue at hand. Already 16k in the hole...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I currently work in substance abuse/rehab. Before that, I did 8 years in the food industry. I spent plenty of time there to know I dont want to do that for the next 30 years.

I know for certainty that I want to pursue copywriting. There is a junior copywriter position that is open at an agency called Rescue which targets at-risk youths/teens/adults for substance abuse and reintegration strategies. That is something I could get into because of previous knowledge from my current job and I would get to do actual copywriting work.

While doing that, I will be building my own portfolio on the side and start with B2B/Commercial copywriting (brochures, white papers, ect) instead of flying headfirst into direct response.

I am here because I know theres another way. Back when I applied for graduate school, I had zero idea such community as this or others existed. I figured I might as well do something with my B.A. and get higher education for the sake of higher education with zero promise of prospects. I fell the lie once again as I did for getting into undergrad.

Didnt even know what "copywriting" was until 2018 and then I found Millionaire Fastlane by some strange accident.

Think I answered my question here by writing this out. I'm clearly not into the program and this degree in criminal justice is not very versatile in the marketplace. You're either in the field of law enforcement, corrections, rehabilitation, courts, ect.

I can only see maybe the private sector (ie. investigations) being a viable source for income after such an investment of time and money spent.

I see that I have the "sunk cost fallacy" issue at hand. Already 16k in the hole...

I started out as a copywriter a few years ago by accident. Turned out I was a natural at it, and I eventually pivoted into doing email marketing for my clients (which, of course, involves copywriting).

I would NOT recommend seeking out a career in copywriting.

But, if that's what you really want for the time being, I'd advise you to just jump into that agency gig and start looking for direct-response gigs as well. No books, no courses.

Seriously. 99% of copywriters are pure garbage and I'm convinced that they've never talked to a real person before. It's actually sad that they even get paid $10 or $15/h or whatever.

Considering you work with people for a living and your job also requires you to be empathetic, you've got a head start in this.

But also, consider this:
  • What are some common problems/challenges that rehab clinics face?
    *** Is there money to be made in finding a solution for said problems?
  • Do rehab clinics compete with each other?
    *** If so, how can you make it so that they profit from partnering together?
  • What is something that YOU don't like about working in a rehab clinic OR about the business model/practice in general?
    *** Does the market share your thoughts? If so, is there money to be made in finding a solution?
  • What do rehab patients like about the best clinics, and what do they dislike about the mediocre ones?
    *** Is it the program, the workers, the other patients, etc?
If you can answer most or ALL of these questions and have a knack for seeing how things can be better, have you thought about starting a consulting business for rehab clinics?

Essentially, you'll coach/optimize them into becoming one of the better/best ones, making them more $$$ and increasing the success rate of patients in rehab programs.

P.S. Save that 24K bro. The only thing worse than regretting that you spent 16K on that is regretting that you spent 40K.

Last edited:

Syndrome

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 5, 2022
I started out as a copywriter a few years ago by accident. Turned out I was a natural at it, and I eventually pivoted into doing email marketing for my clients (which, of course, involves copywriting).

I would NOT recommend seeking out a career in copywriting.

But, if that's what you really want for the time being, I'd advise you to just jump into that agency gig and start looking for direct-response gigs as well. No books, no courses.

Seriously. 99% of copywriters are pure garbage and I'm convinced that they've never talked to a real person before. It's actually sad that they even get paid $10 or $15/h or whatever.

Considering you work with people for a living and your job also requires you to be empathetic, you've got a head start in this.

But also, consider this:

• What are some common problems/challenges that rehab clinics face?
    *** Is there money to be made in finding a solution for said problems?
  • Do rehab clinics compete with each other?
    *** If so, how can you make it so that they profit from partnering together?
  • What is something that YOU don't like about working in a rehab clinic OR about the business model/practice in general?
    *** Does the market share your thoughts? If so, is there money to be made in finding a solution?
  • What do rehab patients like about the best clinics, and what do they dislike about the mediocre ones?
    *** Is it the program, the workers, the other patients, etc?
If you can answer most or ALL of these questions and have a knack for seeing how things can be better, have you thought about starting a consulting business for rehab clinics?

Essentially, you'll coach/optimize them into becoming one of the better/best ones, making them more $$$ and increasing the success rate of patients in rehab programs.
These are all questions I arm myself with every shift at work. I always ask clients what they like, dislike, or could care less for about their current treatment.

Minus the less than 1% of rehab clinics, most are for-profit obviously and it is a huge business. Its a cottage business (for now) with minimal state regulation. Tons and tons of loopholes and HIPPA violations going on every day.

As for actually getting clean and staying clean. That's another world altogether. The medically-assisted protocol (give them drugs for dependence issues) does seem to work but the "holistic" side of things doesnt seem to do jack sh*t. Examples: coloring rocks and making vision boards out of magazine clippings. Seems like its just "busy work" to pass the time and justify the cost of billing to insurance companies.

But yeah thank for the input. And I may message you about your opinion on why you would NOT recommend copywriting if that's okay?

Thanks and best.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
These are all questions I arm myself with every shift at work. I always ask clients what they like, dislike, or could care less for about their current treatment.

Minus the less than 1% of rehab clinics, most are for-profit obviously and it is a huge business. Its a cottage business (for now) with minimal state regulation. Tons and tons of loopholes and HIPPA violations going on every day.

As for actually getting clean and staying clean. That's another world altogether. The medically-assisted protocol (give them drugs for dependence issues) does seem to work but the "holistic" side of things doesnt seem to do jack sh*t. Examples: coloring rocks and making vision boards out of magazine clippings. Seems like its just "busy work" to pass the time and justify the cost of billing to insurance companies.

But yeah thank for the input. And I may message you about your opinion on why you would NOT recommend copywriting if that's okay?

Thanks and best.

Feel free to message me, but I'd seriously consider the consulting idea considering your extensive knowledge in the rehab industry.

The barrier to entry for copywriting is insanely low and you'll be competing with a shit ton of people.

How many people charge rehab clinics to build them up into better ones? To make an educated guess – very few.

This could be as simple as noticing that an employee is a deadweight to everyone else or identifying that the "holistic" approach can be ineffective and even silly/scammy. Many times, people are blind to the pitfalls of their business, so that's where you'd come in and point that stuff out to them along with a plan on how to fix it.

A top rehab clinic can do away with the gimmicks and focus on what really works while making sure they have top employees who are focused/passionate about the work, etc.

They won't be having their patients "coloring rocks and making vision boards" but they'd be charging even more than the clinics who do because their service is just better.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where do you want to be next year? Next 5 years? What does successful YOU look like?

Your daily decisions should align with those goals and visions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.