The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dealing with anxiety

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

GuestUser8117

Hey guys, I want to set up a meeting with a very successful real estate investor in a restaurant I used to work back in 2007. Very great italian restaurant and a good intimacy. I talked to the boss today while having a coffee, but he doesn't remember me. Anyway, I like this place a lot, so I'm thinking about setting this meeting there. He knows me, we've talked a bit at the monthly meetings, but I would like to meet with him and talk about how I could get started in Re investing. I'd pay the bill for him and would bring a notebook with good questions to ask him.

I talked to the boss today while having a coffee, but he doesn't remember me. Anyway, I like this place a lot, so I'm thinking about setting this meeting there.

The problem is I am very anxious and nervous about talking to him.Do you guys ever have this problem? If so, do you have suggestions on how to overcome it?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
The only legitimate way to get rid of butterflies in any situation is to constantly expose yourself to those situations. Desensitize yourself to these kind of situations and realize that your impending failures are the greatest opportunities to learn. Destroy the belief that if you don't nail this you never will, because the exact opposite is true.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
My suggestion to you would be start practicing your confidence swagger. When you're anxious, most of the time people will sense that.
Before you meet up with him, take a HUGE breathe, put a smile on and let go of any fears you may have. Don't set any expectations on how it will go, let it flow naturally because the air of easiness will definitely be on your side. Trust me with this one. Over time, after practicing letting go of any kind of fears you will be a pro at this. Meetings, women, presentations etc.. Just be easy with it. Be arrogant within yourself but exude an air of humble confidence on the outside. YOU ARE THE MAN.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Don't be outcome dependent. Just focus on what is going on and let it flow. Sure you'd like for X to happen, but you don't NEED for it to happen. Same goes for talking to women.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
TELL him you are really nervous, anxious. That will get rid of most of it. If you haven't put on any false air like you are already successful or trying to being something you are not, he's gonna know he's helping out a newbie and will not have any expectations of you. Boom. You just got rid of all your anxiety. You have nothing to prove except taking action and interest in learning. People genuinely like helping others out.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
1) Read Bold and Determined blog

2) Play the meeting over and over in your head, each time you play it in your head, envision the meeting going well.

Ball Growth initialized.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
something i struggle with daily. anxiety. for me it's social anxiety.

something happened to me at work a little while ago. It was right after my annual evaluation. I felt that my team Lead/manager wasn't fair in my evaluation, which resulted in me not receiving the raise I deserved, and I knew I deserved it. For some reason he doesn't like me too much, idk why, maybe he feels threatned by me cause his work sucks, idk what the case is. anyway, talking to him wasn't getting me anywhere. so i decided I needed to talk with someone higher up. i was pretty upset with his review.

my anxiety is extremely bad, so it was very hard for me to do this. keep that in mind.

I decided that I would go to the person at the very top. instead of just his manager. that way I knew my voice would be heard.

that day I emailed her directly, and she said swing by in the afternoon.

i felt like i was gonna throw up before entering her office, it was that bad. but it had to be said. the person at the top is kinda famous and has alot of power, so that didnt help either.

anyway, I did what CommonCents just mentioned. told her the truth, told her about my anxiety, it helped ten fold. after a minute or two it felt like talking with a friend. and she was very supportive and listened to everything with open ears. I've noticed it's always bad right before, but once your engaged in conversation, its gets easier, and tension slowly fades. Kinda like goin to a interview, really bad at first, then it gets better.

you end up discovering that , there just people, like you and me.

anyway we ended up agreeing to another evaluation in a few months, which will ultimately result in a raise she said.

now i don't really care about this 'Day job' I have, because I know I wont be here much longer. and I dont really care for the extra few bucks either. thats not the point.

what bothered me, was people taking advantage of me. I hate that. especially when their wrong. plus, i need to start facing my anxiety.

I guess my point is. its ok to be fearful. everyone on this planet is scared of something. its ok to have anxiety as well.

just be honest with people and tell them the truth. they will understand. and they will help you to relax.

and you'll feel amazing afterward.

i know i did

good luck bud ;)

G

GuestUser8117

I am very proud of myself today. I approached 2 beautiful girls and introduced me to them. And I've never been happier in my life. When you work on yourself, it feels pretty great. And I'm leaving my family, because they are too negative. And I have noticed that a lot of people are angry at you when you are happy. F*ck 'em.

Will B. Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 25, 2013
Upstate NY
When you work on yourself, it feels pretty great.

Hell yeah!

Definitely keep going to new places and checking out new things. When I was digging myself out of a hole a few years ago I used to go to coffee shops in areas I was unfamiliar with and just walk around, people watch, talk to new people, and take in new environments. It really helps for inspiration!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.