The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dane Maxwell- Build Software Companies in 6 months w/o money, experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Kind of sick of seeing this guru program on the front page of TMF .

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Dane's info is solid, I'm in the Lite Tier of the Foundation but for $300 per month it is a tad bit overpriced.

It's basically just a bunch of reports, interviews, audio files, and videos.

Feel free to ask me any questions on the Foundation.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Lite Tier? How many tiers are there?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Lite Tier? How many tiers are there?

The lite tier is for people who are lightly interested.

Now for the serious entrepreneur, there's the serious tier; that's $800/mo.

Now wait, there's more.

For the SUPER-SUPER-DUPER-SERIOUS, there's the SUPER-DUPER TIER ... that's $8,000/mo.

:)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
The lite tier is for people who are lightly interested.

Now for the serious entrepreneur, there's the serious tier; that's $800/mo.

Now wait, there's more.

For the SUPER-SUPER-DUPER-SERIOUS, there's the SUPER-DUPER TIER ... that's $8,000/mo.

:)

Wait so all I gotta to do to be one oh them super duper entrepreneur is pay $8,000 a month! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!:D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What can I get for $10?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What can I get for $10?

How about a picture of a guy sitting on the beach with his laptop open? <--- He's making gazillions of dollars!

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Heheheh, I think even Dane would struggle selling a program for $8000 a month MJ xD.

Yeah, Lite tier, Elite and VIP. Lite is all the content without the community and without support from Dane or any of the other mentors. BTW hobokook, do you guys get access to the recordings from the VIP and Elite conference calls?

Lite wouldn't be bad, but I think if all I was after was content I'd just do what Fellipe says and buy more books.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Some of the respected members seem to be enjoying the conversation and I'm enjoying the conversation with them. If you don't like thread then there is no requirement for you to open it up.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Heheheh, I think even Dane would struggle selling a program for $8000 a month MJ xD.

BTW hobokook, do you guys get access to the recordings from the VIP and Elite conference calls?

Lite wouldn't be bad, but I think if all I was after was content I'd just do what Fellipe says and buy more books.

Yeah you get access to EVERYTHING (recordings too) except the community support from Dane, mentors, and members.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Ahh, ok. That's good then. How are people in lite tier going in general? Any real success stories so far? We don't get that much interaction with you guys so it's hard to tell. I think we've now hit 5 people with validated ideas about to collect payment in Elite. Quite a few more on the way to that stage.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Ahh, ok. That's good then. How are people in lite tier going in general? Any real success stories so far? We don't get that much interaction with you guys so it's hard to tell. I think we've now hit 5 people with validated ideas about to collect payment in Elite. Quite a few more on the way to that stage.

To my knowledge only one person so far has validated and collected payment from a customer. I mean...it's pretty hard to stay connected with the Facebook group, unlike Hipchat where there's constant communication.

ambition21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 30, 2012
Don't any of you feel like you're cheating yourself a bit by joining the Foundation? I mean, even if the investment proves worth it and you manage to create a profitable business, I imagine achieving your goals would be much less satisfying/addicting/fulfilling.

There is something about working toward a specific goal by yourself that just makes it that much more rewarding. It seems like joining the Foundation would be liken to paying someone to take the LSAT for you. Sure, when you get that 99 percentile score back you'll be happy, no doubt, but will you be proud and feel like you've earned it? Maybe I'm alone here, but having someone give you all the answers and showing you how to do everything would simply devalue the process.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Don't any of you feel like you're cheating yourself a bit by joining the Foundation? I mean, even if the investment proves worth it and you manage to create a profitable business, I imagine achieving your goals would be much less satisfying/addicting/fulfilling.

There is something about working toward a specific goal by yourself that just makes it that much more rewarding. It seems like joining the Foundation would be liken to paying someone to take the LSAT for you. Sure, when you get that 99 percentile score back you'll be happy, no doubt, but will you be proud and feel like you've earned it? Maybe I'm alone here, but having someone give you all the answers and showing you how to do everything would simply devalue the process.

No, it's like having a business mentor.

Would you say having a business mentor is bad for you?

Even with the foundation, NONE of the work is done for you. You're simply getting advice and guidance.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Yeah, I definitely don't feel like that. You don't get anything handed to you. It's just really solid information and guidance and a great support structure when you need it. It's still your own work, you're choosing which tactics you apply and a lot of the time you're creating new ways of doing thIngs and then sharing with the community. That's the brilliant thing about the community, it's this thriving hub of people tossing ideas around and helping each other.

But you'll get nowhere without taking the action yourself. It's still a very difficult and at times very messy process. The process may not be some original speck of brilliance, but what comes out of it will be well and truly the product of my hard work and ideas.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Maybe there is a forum over there you guys can continue the discussion on? Since neither of you post in anything but this thread, it is obvious that this is where your passion lies. Good luck to you! Make it happen.

likeweb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Nov 20, 2012
Pat Flynn is one of the very few people in the blogging/make money space who gives great value. There's only a handful, and he's one of them.

Just because he makes money off of teaching others to make money does not mean he can't make money on his own. He can, and does.

Pat is legit. I say that about almost no one, because almost no one in that space is.

Just curious could you recommend other legit bloggers? I'm watching some entrepreneur interview videos to extract golden nuggets from the past experience of successful people. Seem like Pat, is more focused on the "how to" of web exposure things rather than interviews of biz owners. I will keep an eye on Pat's videos. Here is my list of entrepreneur interviewers, which I'm listening/pending to listen:

Andrew Warner - Mixergy (trying to decide if I should subscribe to the premium membership, currently watching his free videos on youtube)
David Garland - RiseToTheTop
Kevin Rose - Foundation
Aronado Placencia - Start-up Lucky

Thanks

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe there is a forum over there you guys can continue the discussion on? Since neither of you post in anything but this thread, it is obvious that this is where your passion lies. Good luck to you! Make it happen.

This whole thread just seems like a huge promo for this program. Maybe it should be locked? Maybe not but getting tired of the promotion.

likeweb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Nov 20, 2012
Hey guys, stumbled across this thread while browsing around and figured I'd join up since I've nearly finished TMF (amazing book, props MJ).

I am a current member of The Foundation, I am definitely having a blast with it. If anyone has any questions fire away. I can understand both sides of what I've read in this thread, undoubtedly Dane has set himself up as a guru and is using every sales trick in the book to make sure people sign-up. At the same time, his software business would still be more profitable or roughly equal to what he earns from The Foundation.

The real value of the course for me comes in the idea extraction techniques. Dane is exceptional in this regard and he uses the technique even now when he interviews people. I saw a bit of a talk in this thread that he gives away enough of his technique to do it without doing the course, but I'm not convinced about that. You could probably start and figure it out, but it would be extremely difficult to get right. Even with all the answers and coaching it's difficult but at least you know which track to go down. I've spent an hour and a half on the phone to businesses and have only managed to dig down to a painful enough problem in the last 10 minutes of the call.

Either way, I think I'll be pretty active on these forums and I'll let you guys know how I go. Looks like a great community here!

Hopefully you can share some ideas on the idea extraction part, and weeding out bad programmers? Like how to cold approaching/calling possible clients and get them to talk to you? how do you determine a reasonable amount of time to build a custom software? , etc.

I've been watching most Dane and Sam Ovens free videos, trying to get ideas of the whole process. In my example questions above, I know Sam was enrolled for college at the time, so he told his clients he wanted to interview them for a college project in exchange for the final report and the end. I'm on my 30's, and not currently in college or other degrees, so kind of telling a possible client, that I'm doing a research project, would be lying to them, and starting with the wrong foot on the beginning IMO. As Dane mentioned, you should not start telling them you'll be offering them a software solution at the beginning as they most probably would close their minds about it, right away. But either way, even if you could set up an appointment with a college project, industry research, or similar, they would instantly know that you were BSing them as soon as you start pitching a software solution idea, and probably loose any future relationships.

On the programming side (and I never had any experience on this area before), for weeding out bad developers, I could look at their reputation on sites like freelance, odesk, etc, and looked at the size of the projects they have worked before. Relying only at the numbers of reviews, could back back fire, if most of them are from small/cheap quick projects. Dane talks about hiring oversees, this sounds great, cheaper labor, etc. I probably could get a lot of quotes on a freelance site post, like "I want XYZ software in 3 months" or either the developers could say "I can build this in X weeks....", but how do you find that good and reliable overseas programmers? so you may end up delaying the product delivery to your clients, and just coming up with excuses.

BTW, probably you are not already on the programming part of the program, but other members may have some input on this.

Thanks!

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here built a software company without doing any of the actual coding?

I'm working on doing this right now... I outsourced the design to Germany and my coder is in South America. Can't wait to launch... coding is such a nerve racking piece though because I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
benhebertdotcom - nice to see you. Welcome to the forum. Please post an introductory post so that people know who you are. How did you find us?

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Vigilante, I have been posting in other threads and do intend to become a regular on this forum. Also, Elite and Lite members don't have a way to communicate in The Foundation, as Lite members do not get access to the community.

I can understand some people might see this as a bit too promotional and I'm pretty sure we're about as far as we can get with discussing The Foundation itself, so my suggestion is this thread gets locked and I'll create a new "Lean Startup Discussion" thread, where Foundation members as well as those working off lean startup ideas can bounce ideas off each other.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Hopefully you can share some ideas on the idea extraction part, and weeding out bad programmers? Like how to cold approaching/calling possible clients and get them to talk to you? how do you determine a reasonable amount of time to build a custom software? , etc.

I've been watching most Dane and Sam Ovens free videos, trying to get ideas of the whole process. In my example questions above, I know Sam was enrolled for college at the time, so he told his clients he wanted to interview them for a college project in exchange for the final report and the end. I'm on my 30's, and not currently in college or other degrees, so kind of telling a possible client, that I'm doing a research project, would be lying to them, and starting with the wrong foot on the beginning IMO. As Dane mentioned, you should not start telling them you'll be offering them a software solution at the beginning as they most probably would close their minds about it, right away. But either way, even if you could set up an appointment with a college project, industry research, or similar, they would instantly know that you were BSing them as soon as you start pitching a software solution idea, and probably loose any future relationships.

On the programming side (and I never had any experience on this area before), for weeding out bad developers, I could look at their reputation on sites like freelance, odesk, etc, and looked at the size of the projects they have worked before. Relying only at the numbers of reviews, could back back fire, if most of them are from small/cheap quick projects. Dane talks about hiring oversees, this sounds great, cheaper labor, etc. I probably could get a lot of quotes on a freelance site post, like "I want XYZ software in 3 months" or either the developers could say "I can build this in X weeks....", but how do you find that good and reliable overseas programmers? so you may end up delaying the product delivery to your clients, and just coming up with excuses.

BTW, probably you are not already on the programming part of the program, but other members may have some input on this.

Thanks!

There's been a lot of discussion on this. The best way seems to be to tell them that you're an entrepreneur and software developer and you're researching problems in the (whatever) industry. It's a careful balance, because while you don't want to pigeon hole them into thinking about software, you don't want them to go way off course and talk about problems you have no hope of fixing. Start that as your intro and tell them you're interested in developing software, but your questions need to be constructed so that you guide the conversation. After an intro you're just looking to build strong rapport with a person and then start digging into issues.

I think being honest with the client is critical. You can say it's a research project, as long as they understand what the goal of your research is (possibly developing software). Tell them who you are and where you're from. If you're emailing, tell them that and then also have links to your Facebook and LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is a super powerful tool for industry connections, you can join industry groups and stir up discussion (I've been able to contact really big players in industries using this method). So make your LinkedIn profile awesome.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
For all the people finding this thread in the future thinking about joining 'The Foundation' (...or any other 'premium priced' guru product):

I bet this fastlane forum has more success stories than most of the next big thing hyped guru programs.

So stay here with us,
talk with real millionaires...FOR FREE....
read thousands of highly valueable posts
(and yes, written by millionaires, too)...FOR FREE

:icon_super:

Guest682

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 29, 2012
Kind of sick of seeing this guru program on the front page of TMF .

I got the supposed acceptance thinking they were offering free info and some type of think tank to prove their concepts for case study. If its so good I'd initially offer something like this for free to prove my concept to a select few and then offer to the world after proven success.

When you're accepted by "The Foundation" you get presented this heartfelt cultish indoctrination-like video about how its time to change your life, and this is what you've been waiting for, and blah blah blah... then you see the pricing plans... and after a week or so I start receiving these apology emails about how their payment processor wasn't set up and then couldn't receive more then 10,000 dollars because they hit their charging limit or something of the sort, so supposedly everything was either put on hold or some people couldn't get accepted, at this point I do not know. Quite laughable really.

The whole getting accepted process was just part of their marketing plan to get you to publicly post why you want to join and why you believe it will help you. After getting accepted it simply just started to feel more and more disingenuous.

I find the free posts, 'FEEDBACK' and amount of resources available on millionaire fastlane more suitable for entrepreneurs who are trying to innovate vs following someone's guided path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!