The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dane Maxwell- Build Software Companies in 6 months w/o money, experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeletedUser4

I'm not in the program, I think I just entered my email on his site a while ago. I haven't gotten many emails, but this one just seems like a ploy to extend these artificial deadlines until he gets more subscribers. Will be interesting to see what those that actually pay get out of it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but this one just seems like a ploy to extend these artificial deadlines until he gets more subscribers.

Indeed. Scarcity sells.

"OMG, so many people joined that our merchant accounts have crashed! We will extend the deadline one more month!"

Just look at our own B&P -- sold out in a day or so, reopened for a few new spots and bam, sold out again in litearlly hours.

I don't really see your point.

You don't know when you're being marketed too?

As I mentioned before, pay more attention to what the GURU does, versus what he teaches. (Although the advice you posted thus far, seems solid and actionable.)

nategoddard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
You don't know when you're being marketed too?

As I mentioned before, pay more attention to what the GURU does, versus what he teaches.

Yes, I do see that which is why I didn't see what point he was making. So he's marketing his course... okay, is that wrong?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
The cynic in me says, "He didn't figure out how to get paid for what he's offering, but he wants people to pay him to teach them?"

Just a thought I had. I could be wrong.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You mean building a software company?

I'm curious ... are you a shill for his program?? You have no other posts in this forum except for this thread, and you are extremely defensive of anyone questioning his program/motives.

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
You mean building a software company?

My point is: part of building a software company is getting paid by the customers (kind of a big part actually). He lacked the ability or wherewithal to scale his payment acceptance for this launch. It is merely an observation, draw from it what you will.

nategoddard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
I'm curious ... are you a shill for his program?? You have no other posts in this forum except for this thread, and you are extremely defensive of anyone questioning his program/motives.

Haha, no. I honestly don't care what people think of it, just trying to be informative. And I'm not defending it/him, I simply wasn't sure if that's what he was saying or not. Turns out I didn't understand and this was his point, which is a very good one in my opinion:
My point is: part of building a software company is getting paid by the customers (kind of a big part actually).

As far as posting elsewhere, I'm only replying to this thread because I get the emails and I'm focusing all of my time on my Fastlane business. Spending a lot of time on here would be counterproductive for me right now.

nategoddard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 1, 2012
Tampa, FL

I'll happily unsubscribe from this thread and stop posting on it if you don't feel like I'm helping, which was my only intention to begin with.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
nategoddard just proves how committed a person becomes (to the point of defending it) the moment they invest resources (time or money) into something.

^ Try to apply this to your business.

nategoddard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
nategoddard just proves how committed a person becomes the moment they invest resources (time or money) into something.

^ Try to apply this to your business.

Obviously my intention of providing an honest perspective on this isn't something anyone is really interested in so I'll move on.

One would think an open discussion on SaaS, which is probably the most Fastlane of any other business, would especially be welcome here.

I wish you all the best.

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
Don't leave so quickly! I think there are people here interested in SaaS.

Understand that people on this forum are skeptical of "Gurus." Dane has positioned himself as a guru.

The criticism you see that appears directed at you is only because you haven't introduced yourself (create a new thread and talk about yourself (not Dane), this is the only thread you have posted in (the experience you are getting in the program is valuable and you can make suggestions to others based on what you learn and apply in your own business), and every post appears blindly supportive of the foundation.

Steps I hope you take:
1. Make a proper introduction thread
2. Contribute your experience and knowledge in other threads on the site
3. Start your own SaaS thread (not a "Dane Maxwell thread")
4. As you learn from the foundation, share your progress in your new thread with the other entrepreneurs on this site

This forum works because people of varying backgrounds and experience share what they have learned and are learning. It is a give and take. The more value and insight you provide, the more you will find.

nategoddard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
This forum works because people of varying backgrounds and experience share what they have learned and are learning. It is a give and take. The more value and insight you provide, the more you will find.

Thanks for the post, and I didn't mean I was done with the forum, just this thread. What you're saying was my intention to begin with, but it got misconstrued when I tried to provide accurate information on the Foundation itself. I really have no interest in defending anyone, but only to provide helpful information.

I'll use your suggestions. Thanks.

Jeremy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2011
Pat Flynn at SPI went to the dark side a while ago.

He started out legit selling real information to a real audience (how to pass the LEED Exam).

Then he morphed himself into another shovel-shelling Goo-Roo separating the dreamers from their money.

Edit: These Goo-Roos don't sell Fastlane--they sell the Illusion of Fastlane to people who don't have the ability or experience to tell the difference between actual Fastlane and the Illusion.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Then he morphed himself into another shovel-shelling Goo-Roo separating the dreamers from their money.

Can you elaborate? I always found Pat's stuff of high-quality and of high-value.

Redwolfe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2012
I agree, Pat's stuff is top notch. I have found him to be highly informative, and a great inspiration to me personally. One thing I have always noticed when reading his monthly income reports is that the money he earns from selling his products generates enough to support his family and give them a decent lifestyle, but it is the money he gets from monetizing the things he gives away for free that has generated real riches. He earns considerably more from the value he gives away for free than from the value he is charging for. That seems very powerful to me.

D

DeletedUser4

I agree that Pat Flynn's content is great - he gives away a lot for free, you could potentially learn a lot from his site without paying him anything really. His podcast also features some great interviews. He and Dane Maxwell are pretty much night and day...

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
Sub'd. I liked the Dane videos a lot but wouldn't spend $800+ a month... all the good stuff is right there on his website... for free!

BubbleTeaJelly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 16, 2012
Sub'd. I liked the Dane videos a lot but wouldn't spend $800+ a month... all the good stuff is right there on his website... for free!

likewise...

really curious about how he gets "star" developers at dirt cheap rates...if anyone could chime in that would be golden...

fyi...the music band manager dude that dane has referred to a couple times has only found his FIRST paying customer recently...dane let that little bit of info out today during a his webinar but quickly moved on...something to consider especially since the last round started exactly around this time last year

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
really curious about how he gets "star" developers at dirt cheap rates...if anyone could chime in that would be golden...

- come up with a product idea that solves a need
- validate market by preselling your product
- create a solid solid marketing plan (no, using adwords doesnt count as a marketing plan)
- offer equity for developer
- PROFIT

BubbleTeaJelly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 16, 2012
i was under impression that this time around the "students" would be "taught" how to hire developers without giving away equity...but still keep the cost low...maybe too good to be true

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
this guy is pretty cool, all i know is i learned something. I have been noticing the real smart guys find customers before they build something... its so much more logical then just "thinking" up an idea for the world without validating it. I will try to practice this from here on out... i mean he got customers to pay for the product before he built it... not every business can do that or needs to in order to be successful but it sure it one hell of a way to start/validate your product/service.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Hes laughing because its generally very difficult to find good and/or great developers to do things for equity. This is mostly true, and the only time it ever really works out is if you know someone personally or locally and you have some sort of a track record. Good Devs surely are hard to find generally because they are so busy with many paid opportunities. I met a dev here that makes $70 an hour right by me and so does pretty much the entire office of his dev friends, and its not a sweat shop either, they have great work conditions. Its hard to compete with equity to someone like that wouldent you agree.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yeah, I know what he meant. But we're not talking about a consumer iPhone app here. This is about pre-sold business applications with a solid business and marketing plan in place. No good developer in their right mind would decline the opportunity to be part of a promising tech company with proven business model and instead work for his standard hourly. Hence, I can't really take his laugh serious.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I know what he meant. But we're not talking about a consumer iPhone app here. This is about pre-sold business applications with a solid business and marketing plan in place. No good developer in their right mind would decline the opportunity to be part of a promising tech company with proven business model and instead work for his standard hourly. Hence, I can't really take his laugh serious.

I think that many, many, developers think of their skillset as a job, they want to be paid so they can afford that new bimmer payment, when they hear the words equity they immediately translate that into "I'm working for free with good possibility of no payout", no matter the pre-sold"ness" of the software.

If you have pre-sold the software, you should just get an investment/loan to pay the developer straight up, that way you are not giving up as much valuable equity which you know will be worth more in the future.

I am not saying it is impossible to get a developer on board with just equity. If you have pre-sales and can really sell him on the dream, I don't see why you couldn't' convince someone, it would be much easier to get someone local on-board for equity then non-local, preferably even bring him on as an in-house developer.

Still, like I said, if your company is really doing well enough for equity to be a valid form of payment, I would want to hold on to as much of that as I can, pay the guy with a small loan and be done with it, that's just me. The only time I would bring on a developer is if I see a need for a long term, dependable developer needed for constant updates and more work than regular payment would be worth.

And yes, before we go pointing fingers here, I have a lot of experience with hiring outside of just iPhone apps

Edit: the laugh was not supposed to be offensive, I am not trying to upset anyone

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
I've been accepted. I believe now is about the numbers and no quality of the members.

Here is the link they will send it to you: The Foundation

It has all the details and prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content