The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Customer Service: me or us?

Marketing, social media, advertising

For cards, customer service, copy... should I use "me" and "I" or "us" and "we" as a solopreneur?

• Don't fake it: use "me" and "I"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Look big, act small: use "us" and "we"

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hello,

I am selling a physical product on amazon and soon on a shop.
Currently I write each customer a hand written card after their purchase and sent it to them.
Since it's hard to keep up (which is good - 25 orders yesterday ) I plan to print the cards and just sign them and put them inside the product package.

Since I am still and probably will be a solo entrepreneur for a long time (Currently I'd rather stay mobile and use fba and fullfilment centers instead of employees) I wonder if I should talk with my customers in the "me" or "us" form.

I am in no way attached to my product - like MYSELF beeing the brand - but I worry that people don't want to buy products from someone who is doing business from his basement.

To be honest I would much rather us "me" and "I" but I fear that this will hurt my brant.
What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
I would use "us".

Sent from my Swagphone with Tapatalk

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Us, it simply sounds more professional.

tflfguy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 26, 2016
United States
I'd use we/us, and you can further use phrases (when appropriate) such as:
"I'll have a member of (or someone from) my team do blah, blah, blah..."
Nothing dishonest here - if you're using FBA or a fulfillment center, they ARE part of your team.

G

GuestUser450

We. But try to rephrase every "we" sentence with one about them; instead of "We're glad you're a customer - more like "You made a great choice!"

Also, the thank you note is nice but will get tossed unless there's more value there. Like: "You made a great choice! Widget is our 2nd bestseller after Doohickey. Here's your personal promo code (don't share!) to try Doohickey for (10% off/just shipping/an honest review)

Last edited by a moderator:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Same boat as you. I am currently putting together a direct mail campaign to attract international clients and I put us and we in all my literature. I do have a few subcontractors but they are not involved with my clients. I just think it sounds more professional. Plus, doesn't everyone here hope to expand where we need other people even if it's just to manage our businesses?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Also, the thank you note is nice but will get tossed unless there's more value there. Like: "You made a great choice! Widget is our 2nd bestseller after Doohickey. Here's your personal promo code (don't share!) to try Doohickey for (10% off/just shipping/an honest review)
This is a cheap marketing effort.
You don't store your birthday cards because there is a coupon code inside.

One of my businesses is selling niche perfume and we attach personal cards with expensive typography on expensive paper to every purchase. Card has just a quote and thank you inside, but people upload photos of our cards to instagram, even though we don't pay them for that in any way.
There is a good chapter about the right approach to this kind of stuff in a book called "The Laws of Simplicity" by John Maeda.

Regarding the supposition that "we/us" sounds more "professional" - the goal is not to sound more professional by using some words or phrasing. In fact, "professionality" is not determined by anything like that.
We percieve things as "more professional" because they are of correct semantics. You use "we", because you write in the name of your brand, with the exception of when your brand uses a personal name, like "Carolina Herrera", for example.

G

GuestUser450

This is a cheap marketing effort.
You don't store your birthday cards because there is a coupon code inside.

Duh. Not advising a copy/paste of my example, only there to illustrate the point; it's an opportunity to make them your customer not amazon's.

Do you keep thank you cards from businesses? o_O

...people upload photos of our cards to instagram, even though we don't pay them for that in any way.
Awesome! (also, a cheap marketing effort.)

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Duh. Not advising a copy/paste of my example, only there to illustrate the point; it's an opportunity to make them your customer not amazon's.
Do you keep thank you cards from businesses? o_O
It's an opportunity to make your business look laughable. There are other ways to make people your customers, you don't need to print personal cards to achieve that.

What I do keep or what I don't doesn't matter when it comes to other people. And yes, I keep some cards.
Awesome! (also, a cheap marketing effort.)
That's what makes your business, silly. If your "business" doesn't depend from 10% discount offers of course.

G

GuestUser450

It's an opportunity to make your business look laughable...That's what makes your business, silly.
K.

@RisingStars - Apologies for the hijack and nonsense, but there's proof that 2 people online who don't agree on anything can agree on the answer to the question you asked.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.