- Joined
- Oct 2, 2008
- Messages
- 492
Rep Bank
$665
$665
User Power: 34%
Here is my current situation. I've been talking to a friend of mine who is a consultant for small businesses and he told me to make a list of my passions, and figure out a need that needed to be filled, or a "niche" market. While this seems very basic, it did in fact get my mind churning, and cause me to flesh out a basic idea. I was hoping to get some thoughts on it from you guys.
First, a bit about me. I love community based games(mainly MMO's). I love the immersion they bring to people, and the gateway to hopes and aspirations that many people give up on in the real world. I believe gaming can positively affect any ones life, as long as it does not consume the individual. Unlike many people in this forum, most people cannot fathom the idea of giving up their corporate job. Although they hate it, they been trained to believe that they need it(and of course, there must be people doing these jobs for our system to work) I feel that bringing games to people can help unhinge and relax them and contribute towards a positive life experience. However, I also recognize the fact, that at this time I do not have the means to break into this industry that I am passionate for. Because of this I turn to computers. I have a passion for computers as well, particularly "gaming machines." My goal is to combine these passions in order to provide a service to the public.
I feel that the gaming industry is in an upward rise as the economy takes a turn for the worst. They offer alot of entertainment, at a very affordable price. I believe this creates an opportunity for an affordable, high quality custom gaming computer company. I understand that this is a hard market to enter, however I feel there is a need to be filled here.
I noticed this niche when i was recently shopping for a laptop. I originally planned to buy from ibuypower or cyberpower, however I noticed that their were a many complaints and bad reviews about them. This turned me away from them, and forced me towards a well reputable company(I bought a gateway, however I did not buy the laptop for gaming). I have also found that they do not focus on the customer base. When browsing through their wares I found that many of their builds were very inefficient and could be greatly improved with hardware that was virtually the same price.
Now I have some unique ideas also that could add to the customer experience and make them repeat buyers. Also, if I do decide to undertake this, I have every intention of promoting my website/computers in the real world as well.
I guess this post lacks a defined question, it is mainly meant to flesh out my thoughts and recieve feedback from you guys. I've registered what I feel to be a catchy domain as well.
Bottom line: I was wondering what you guys thought about this idea and also the profit margin of a small time business like this. One of the main problems I see would be breaking into the extremely tough field, and the work. I would mainly begin building these computers with myself and a buddy, however if success justified it, I could hired interns from my school's computer science/electrical engineering department.
Also if anyone sees any holes, or has any ideas that could help me feel free to post. Also if anyone has any ideas or other directions they think I should take in building a company based on online gaming feel free to throw them out! More ideas never hurt anyone!
First, a bit about me. I love community based games(mainly MMO's). I love the immersion they bring to people, and the gateway to hopes and aspirations that many people give up on in the real world. I believe gaming can positively affect any ones life, as long as it does not consume the individual. Unlike many people in this forum, most people cannot fathom the idea of giving up their corporate job. Although they hate it, they been trained to believe that they need it(and of course, there must be people doing these jobs for our system to work) I feel that bringing games to people can help unhinge and relax them and contribute towards a positive life experience. However, I also recognize the fact, that at this time I do not have the means to break into this industry that I am passionate for. Because of this I turn to computers. I have a passion for computers as well, particularly "gaming machines." My goal is to combine these passions in order to provide a service to the public.
I feel that the gaming industry is in an upward rise as the economy takes a turn for the worst. They offer alot of entertainment, at a very affordable price. I believe this creates an opportunity for an affordable, high quality custom gaming computer company. I understand that this is a hard market to enter, however I feel there is a need to be filled here.
I noticed this niche when i was recently shopping for a laptop. I originally planned to buy from ibuypower or cyberpower, however I noticed that their were a many complaints and bad reviews about them. This turned me away from them, and forced me towards a well reputable company(I bought a gateway, however I did not buy the laptop for gaming). I have also found that they do not focus on the customer base. When browsing through their wares I found that many of their builds were very inefficient and could be greatly improved with hardware that was virtually the same price.
Now I have some unique ideas also that could add to the customer experience and make them repeat buyers. Also, if I do decide to undertake this, I have every intention of promoting my website/computers in the real world as well.
I guess this post lacks a defined question, it is mainly meant to flesh out my thoughts and recieve feedback from you guys. I've registered what I feel to be a catchy domain as well.
Bottom line: I was wondering what you guys thought about this idea and also the profit margin of a small time business like this. One of the main problems I see would be breaking into the extremely tough field, and the work. I would mainly begin building these computers with myself and a buddy, however if success justified it, I could hired interns from my school's computer science/electrical engineering department.
Also if anyone sees any holes, or has any ideas that could help me feel free to post. Also if anyone has any ideas or other directions they think I should take in building a company based on online gaming feel free to throw them out! More ideas never hurt anyone!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
