The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Currently Stuck, Need Urgent Help

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Hello guys, it's been a while since I participated in the forums.
For personal reasons (mostly financial), I decided I needed to take some time off University, because, well, first of all I hated it and didn't feel like I was doing what I really wanted to do, and I was in a really bad situation financially and didn't want to involve my parents because I promised myself I would pay for University by myself. I don't know for how long I'll be off, however I'm getting really frustrated with myself, and I wanted to get a job so maybe I can start a business, and unfortunately all I could come up with is minimum wage dead-end jobs that I'd really hate to do.
So I'm really stuck here, currently no University, almost broke and can't find a job that may suit me and have no money to start a business, I really feel that I can be of use to many companies and deserve to get paid more than minimum wage, however with my so-called "qualifications" no one would take me seriously.
This is getting really depressing, I'd appreciate any help and advice from fellow Fastlane members, anything to get me going in the right path to a fullfilling life and career!
Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
all I could come up with is minimum wage dead-end jobs that I'd really hate to do.

I really feel that I can be of use to many companies and deserve to get paid more than minimum wage, however with my so-called "qualifications" no one would take me seriously.

Get the job you can and prove your value. Why should any company believe your value without proof. Suck it up, do what you hate and work yourself into a better job.

Nobody deserves to be paid anything unless you are on commission and earned it.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I'm pretty much in the same position. I left university and moved to Ireland. I wont get a great job here.. but I'm not interested in it really. I started a blog (which is not too expensive and can be done for free) and found myself a job (first dropping fuc,en leaflets at night , now working at the store)...the job is ok, but it gives me enough money to support myself and save up for online business needs. I think this is the solution for you. Get a job to live off of, suck it up for half a year or so and just work on your Fastlane plan in the meantime.

Just do it. It wont be easy. But that's the price to pay...

acb123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 1, 2009
Washington D.C.
Hey man,

It sounds like you're about to take the first step on your journey towards whatever it is you want. The problem is you're complaining about having to take the first step! Like someone else said on here you need to suck it up and get it done! Realize that your plans for the future need to include these "paying your dues" types of jobs.

I found in my life having to do crap jobs helped me hone in my focus on what I really wanted to do. It will also motivate you to get the hell on your way and not waste a bunch of time.

Good luck. You'll get it done, and this situation really does sound temporary. Figure out what you want to do, set a timeline, and take this first step albeit not the one you want to take.

Last edited:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Not sure how old you are, but everybody must start out in life at the bottom and work their way up over time. My 1st job was for $7/hr as a salesman in a Computer store, which I later got fired from :) ... My next job was for $15/hr as an IT consultant, and then $20/hr on level 2 -- Then $30/hr as a manager, and then $35/hr as a skilled level 3 engineer. I'm currently trying to get to $50/hr so I can hit 6 figures, and hopefully move towards my Entrepreneurial goals a little faster.

Cheers,
- Hakrjak

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
so what are you going to do? do you think anyone here is going to tell you what to do? no one can, you must tell yourself what to do. get up your butt and stop feeling sorry for yourself. if you can go to school with student loans, DO IT, you must learn to finish things, no matter how boring. if you have to pay for school yourself, then find work, even if you don't like, DO IT, and in your free time, work on your side projects with passion.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Man up and take a crap job. Everyone starts with crap dead end low paying jobs.

Without a degree your not going to find much more.

If your old enough you could try bartending, a couple of my friends did it and you make pretty good money.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Man up and take a crap job. Everyone starts with crap dead end low paying jobs.

Without a degree your not going to find much more.

If your old enough you could try bartending, a couple of my friends did it and you make pretty good money.

Truer words have never been spoken. Without a degree or atleast some kind of trade school skill it's going to be like trying to swim with lead weights around your ankles in this economy.

We have a friend who is 27, has no education, no experience other than cocktail waitressing, and she was just completely jazzed to finally get a bartending job here in town at a small out of the way bar. Maybe she'll average $10/hr there with tips included?! -- I asked her, "Do you really want to be a 40 year old bartender one day?" -- And she replied that she did not, but she isn't taking any steps to become anything other than that...

- Hakrjak

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Dr. Phil had a great show on a week ago called "GENERATION ME" -- where he examined this phenomenon!

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Generation Me

They live above their means... Are spoiled and entitled... Think they should have a Lambo, but not willing to work to get one... Automatically assume that coming out of high school they will make 6 figures...

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
One of two things will happen with your life now. Either you'll become a successful entreprenuer and make millions, or you'll swim around and do what the majority of everyone else is doing. I always find that when someone has absolutely nothing left - except the energy to succeed - is the person that will usually become successful (ask MJ and others here). Maybe it's because there is no other way to go but up, and you aren't stuck in "complacency world". I dunno.

Try getting a JOB somewhere in sales and be the best sales person there. This will only lead to good fortune as it will lay the groundwork for your entreprenuership later. Plan, plan, plan and then do, do, do.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies, please don't get me wrong, I'm still 20 and got a lot to learn, it's not that I feel that I should be CEO of a company or something!

Dr. Phil had a great show on a week ago called "GENERATION ME" -- where he examined this phenomenon!

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Generation Me

They live above their means... Are spoiled and entitled... Think they should have a Lambo, but not willing to work to get one... Automatically assume that coming out of high school they will make 6 figures...

I am sorry hakrjak, but I couldn't help but feel really offended by this, I'm absolutely not one of those guys, you don't know me and I really think that was uncalled for.
I was living in another city, I was making more than double the minimum wage, working really hard while studying, however I just hated it and had to move somewhere else, where I'm currently feeling stuck, so I don't think it's fair that you prejudge me in such a way.

Maybe I haven't made it clear, but what I'm feeling right now is that no matter what job I get (and not a lot of those with my qualifications), I'm still feeling miserable and doubting every step I take, it just seems that no matter what I do, I'm still getting nowhere, career wise!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies, please don't get me wrong, I'm still 20 and got a lot to learn, it's not that I feel that I should be CEO of a company or something!

I am sorry hakrjak, but I couldn't help but feel really offended by this, I'm absolutely not one of those guys, you don't know me and I really think that was uncalled for.
I was living in another city, I was making more than double the minimum wage, working really hard while studying, however I just hated it and had to move somewhere else, where I'm currently feeling stuck, so I don't think it's fair that you prejudge me in such a way.

Maybe I haven't made it clear, but what I'm feeling right now is that no matter what job I get (and not a lot of those with my qualifications), I'm still feeling miserable and doubting every step I take, it just seems that no matter what I do, I'm still getting nowhere, career wise!

Well, if you have some money saved up then live off of them and just do your business plan. If you don't, the only choice is to bust your a$$ in some job, which means stepping over your ego (happened to me) and then in the free time work on a project you ate passionate about. Honestly, having a vision you love, taking steps towards making it real makes even a crappy job easier, my life has been way better since I've started working on projects on the side. One day I will quit my job, but until then I have to work and do what is necessary to survive.

There is no doubt in my mind that you can be CEO of a company, your own company, you just have to bust your butt and become great at what you do!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I've been there. You still have to eat, gotta do something for money. Try to look at any job this way...Learn all you can from the job, about the job, the finances(if possible), the personalities, what makes the biz tick. Learn something from each job even if all you learn is this is not the job you want. Try some jobs you may have never thought of. Do something to challenge yourself. Learn something new, join a new club or group. Think out of the box. If they are all crap jobs take a new job each 2-3 months. Meet new people. Spread your wings. Good luck.:cheers:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs

The best revenge is massive success. Prove me wrong kid ;)

:cheers:

- Hakrjak

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
So lets sum it up-

The overwhelming majority of advice has been to get up off your butt and take these jobs that you deem beneath you and earn your stripes.

WinWin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 24, 2008
WDC
I'd appreciate any help and advice from fellow Fastlane members, anything to get me going in the right path to a fullfilling life and career!

OK, here is my 2 cents worth of advice.

The problem:
You are 20 years old and located in Israel. You really, really need non-dead end job so that you can survive and then later-on launch your fastlane plan.

Suggestions:
First of all, change your mindset from “I really, really want a good job” to “I am a good, sincere and capable individual who can help any type of businesses to achieve their goals, by using my skills in the best possible way”. With this new mindset you will definitely be able find much better jobs.

Unless someone is born with a silver spoon, most fastlaners need to go through an employee phase before they can get into fastlane. So, here is the list of items I can suggest.

If you really need a job to survive, then accept the first crappy job comes on your way. If you can, take the one which offers some kind of late shift work so that you will have part of your day free for finding a better job. As suggested by Runum, don’t consider it as a job; instead take it as a paid apprenticeship to learn as much as about running a business. Be the best employee you can even if the job is real crappy. At least you will get good reference or job leads for your next job.

Now, start from your assets – do a skill inventory:
  • What skills do you have that you can offer to your potential employers? Most anybody can work in a fast food chain such as McDonalds. So I hope you have some skills far above that level – since you expect to be paid better. Now, list all of your skills and then think about the type of employers who will be able to use such skills.
  • From your post, I can see that you have good communication skills. As an employee, a person who can communicate well is worth almost twice as much as a person who is not a good communicator. So this can be one of your good assets.
Find those in need of your skills:
  1. Find small businesses that are run by their owners. A successful owner operated company will have the need for all kinds of skills. They may need people to make cold calls, do customer support, setup their computers, maintain their network, create good presentations, write their marketing materials, send out marketing materials etc, which a hardworking person can easily do.
  2. Make a list of such successful locally owned companies. Learn as much as about those companies using the Internet. What do they sell? What skills they need? And try to match your skills to the needs of that company. If you can, find the name of the owner of the company.
  3. Write a detailed letter (not a resume) describing your skills and the needs of the company as you have gathered during your research. In the letter, show how you will be able to help the company (setup their network, maintain their computers, do cold calls, do customer support or what ever).
  4. Mail or hand deliver your letter to the owner and try to setup an appointment to talk.
    If they are willing to give an appointment, then it is an indication that they need someone with your skills.
  5. During the interview, be sincere. Let them know how much you have already learned about their business. Most owners will be impressed by your interest in their company. Describe how you will be able to help them to solve their problems.
  6. Think like the owner: Once you get your job (even if it is not paying as much as you want) try to tune to the needs of the owner. Help them achieve their goals and in no time you will also grow very quickly within that company – until you are ready to quit to start your own fastlane journey.
If you are able to connect well with the owner of a small business, who knows, when you are ready to launch your fastlane plan, probably they may also like to partner with you.

Good luck with your adventure.

Most of the above suggestions came from my experience, but the credit goes to What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers: Richard N. Bolles: 9781580089302: Amazon.com: Books"]this book

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.