The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crisis Capitalists

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With the economic crisis, I am seeing a lot of articles with deceptive headlines tailored to attract eyeballs. The headlines don't deliver. The articles contain nothing new and in many respects, is simply false advertising.

CBS and Turner owned properties are the biggest offenders.

Here is an example from Yahoo as headlined on their home page.

Title:
How to Keep Your Money Safe

Now read this article. What a heap of garbage. Is this recycled from the Carter Administration? Perhaps after the Oct 87 crash? What is new here? This is the same old song and dance and has zero value to the current times.

1. If we have hyperinflation, how does the info in the article keep my money safe?
  2. If the Dow sinks to 2,000 points, how does the info in the article keep my money safe?

These kind of articles might as well be rung up for false advertising. :wtf::smxE::fryingpan:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I would love to find a "primary" source for all this stuff. By the time we get it, it is so convoluted!

For example, I am hearing little snippets of what "economists" think about plan x or plan y.

I would love a source where I could go to read it straight from the economist's mouth.

Which plan do they like?
Why?

I was just listening to NPR and heard that an economist will be speaking this evening at a University here in Montana. They gave a little snippet of his speech. I would like more of that.....

(btw, he said that he feels the government needs to readjust principle balances on mortgages for the economy to turn around)

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I put my 401(k) money into the stable value fund. screw the stock market. What a train wreck.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think there are a few "newsletter" that you can subscribe to, but I have no first-hand knowledge of how good they are.

NPR is a great resource. Too bad they are the exception, not the rule.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would love to find a "primary" source for all this stuff. By the time we get it, it is so convoluted!

For example, I am hearing little snippets of what "economists" think about plan x or plan y.

I would love a source where I could go to read it straight from the economist's mouth.

Which plan do they like?
Why?

I was just listening to NPR and heard that an economist will be speaking this evening at a University here in Montana. They gave a little snippet of his speech. I would like more of that.....

(btw, he said that he feels the government needs to readjust principle balances on mortgages for the economy to turn around)

I read everything: Everywhere and everybody. I have over a hundred bookmarks in my "XXXXXXXX" file and several of them (not all) are very valuable... but I've been reading these guys for years.

It's great that now the SHTF and everyone wants to read the economics blogs, but you don't get all the backstory without reading the hundreds (if not thousands) of posts these guys have put up in the past. Do you know what a CDO is? A CDS? VIX? The TED spread? Markit? Ever read the Financial Sense series on the Perfect Storm?

In order to really understand this financial crisis, you are going to have to do homework and it is a looooonnnggg slog if you are not in finance or economics. Seriously.

I'm hearing lots of soundbites on TV now but they are so totally misleading. They are interpreting what is happening this minute as if they had no idea what happened in the 10 years before this happened. It's like trying to explain why your pizza has no anchovies on it.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Certainly economics is an indepth topic. Those interested in economics can dive deeper and deeper into the topic. But there are also people that have a talent for taking a difficult topic and making it easy for the layman to understand. Quantum physics is a difficult topic too, but I have a layman's understanding of it thanks to Gary Zukav.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Wu-Li-Masters-Overview/dp/0060959681]Amazon.com: Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics: Gary Zukav: Books[/ame]

I have also had a layman's understanding of basic economics thanks to:

A few college courses in economics, finance and money and banking

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dollar-Crisis-Consequences-Revised-Updated/dp/0470821701/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223602839&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Dollar Crisis: Causes, Consequences, Cures , Revised and Updated: Richard Duncan: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Money-Banking-David-H-Friedman/dp/0899824706/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223602897&sr=1-12]Amazon.com: Money & Banking: David H. Friedman: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Worldly-Philosophers-Lives-Economic-Thinkers/dp/068486214X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223603134&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times And Ideas Of The Great Economic Thinkers [7th Edition]: Robert L. Heilbroner: Books[/ame]

And, so, no - china. I have not read the Financial Sense series. But, I am no idiot. Nor is anyone else on this forum. If someone packaged this info into a layman's terms, as Gary Zukov did for Quantum Physics - I think intelligent people would grasp the basics. If someone packaged the general economic view on the various plans being thrown around, I think intelligent people would get that too.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If someone packaged the general economic view on the various plans being thrown around, I think intelligent people would get that too.

I think we all would read that if it were available...

I can't find it... Can you?

So far, only Suddendebt (Sudden Debt) has explained the financial system well enough for me to understand it -- but you have to go back to the very beginning of his posts. (The "trading sardines" posts.)

Suddendebt explains CDOs and other deratives well enough, but he doesn't get into bonds and for that you have to go to other blogs.

Seriously, it's so complicated, you'll have to read a lot. There is no way around t. That's probably why all those guys made millions of dollars.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Maybe it is a great opportunity for those that do get it and know how to explain it in layman terms... put together an info-product. Sell it for $5 bucks. Many copies will be sold, and you can profit from it.

Or, you can tell everybody else how stupid they are for wanting to learn more about a topic, and let the opportunity slip.

Those that simplify complex situations or events and explain them in simple terms for everybody to understand profit big time. That was the big "secret" from RK with the Rich Dad series. Oversimplification of a relatively complex topic. That is how many gurus are successful, by giving people what they want, when they want it, in the terms they understand.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I agree Andres. Someone that has a gift for the written word (or spoken word in the form of a podcast), the ability to simplify a complicated topic, and a firm understanding of economics could sure sell some product these days.

Anyone on these boards fit that bill?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Several here have the writing skills. I don't know who has the real understanding of the problem. Something like the podcasts that Russ provided from the NPR station in Chicago is a great way to present it.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe it is a great opportunity for those that do get it and know how to explain it in layman terms... put together an info-product. Sell it for $5 bucks. Many copies will be sold, and you can profit from it.

Or, you can tell everybody else how stupid they are for wanting to learn more about a topic, and let the opportunity slip.

Those that simplify complex situations or events and explain them in simple terms for everybody to understand profit big time. That was the big "secret" from RK with the Rich Dad series. Oversimplification of a relatively complex topic. That is how many gurus are successful, by giving people what they want, when they want it, in the terms they understand.

I agree

except for the fact that the ideas are complex and I don't see how you can simplifiy them. If they could be simplified, I think they would have been "out there" a long time ago.

I'm not sure you could sell this info for $$$ either since most of the explanations made for common people (like Suddendebt -- who I listed above) spent a lot of time trying to explain it to common people. If you steal his work, I don't doubt he'll come breathing down your neck. He's actually the only one I've found who explained it all for common folks and he doesn't link to many websites.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If you steal, I think you should pay the price.

china, not quite sure what you meant by that. I don't think Andviv or ATW ever said anything about stealing anything. They are asking for simple explanations for apparently complex problems. You keep reinforcing how complex the problem is. If you never try to do something, such as explain a complex problem simply, then you'll always believe it's beyond you. ATW and Andviv are two of the sharpest persons on the board. Be a part of the solution or kindly get out of the way.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
You don't even really need the knowledge yourself.

You just need access to the people with the knowledge.

That is what they did on the "This American Life" show. Interview others that are "in the know."

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
china, not quite sure what you meant by that. I don't think Andviv or ATW ever said anything about stealing anything. They are asking for simple explanations for apparently complex problems. You keep reinforcing how complex the problem is. If you never try to do something, such as explain a complex problem simply, then you'll always believe it's beyond you. ATW and Andviv are two of the sharpest persons on the board. Be a part of the solution or kindly get out of the way.

Gosh! Golly! Gee! I'm an Advertising person with a journalism major and I'm as simple as simple can be!

And I'm saying that the economic problems facing the USA today are very complex.

And I'm also saying that it's criminal to steal stuff from "suddendebt" who is the only person who has written about these problems for "children". It's criminal because he owns the copyright on what he's written.

So, if they steal from what he has written (and he's the only one to tackle these challenging topics for laypeople) then they deserve to be sued for stealing -- don't you think?

Or do you advocate stealing material if no one notices it?

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You don't even really need the knowledge yourself.

You just need access to the people with the knowledge.

That is what they did on the "This American Life" show. Interview others that are "in the know."

True, but you need to give credit to those who have the knowlege.

That's the difference between what you are saying and what others are saying.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Gosh! Golly! Gee! I'm an Advertising person with a journalism major and I'm as simple as simple can be!

And I'm saying that the economic problems facing the USA today are very complex.

And I'm also saying that it's criminal to steal stuff from "suddendebt" who is the only person who has written about these problems for "children". It's criminal because he owns the copyright on what he's written.

So, if they steal from what he has written (and he's the only one to tackle these challenging topics for laypeople) then they deserve to be sued for stealing -- don't you think?

Or do you advocate stealing material if no one notices it?

No I do not advocate stealing material. I do, however, take exception to your veiled accusations toward two of the most upstanding people on this forum. They have not done anything wrong and I don't believe they said they intended to do anything like this. As a matter of fact they never even mentioned anyone's name, you did. They are problem solvers. You seem to want to hold the problem up and make it tougher.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
No I do not advocate stealing material. I do, however, take exception to your veiled accusations toward two of the most upstanding people on this forum. They have not done anything wrong and I don't believe they said they intended to do anything like this. As a matter of fact they never even mentioned anyone's name, you did. They are problem solvers. You seem to want to hold the problem up and make it tougher.

My "veiled accusations"? Excuse me? You are accusing me of "what" exactly?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My "veiled accusations"? Excuse me? You are accusing me of "what" exactly?

"If you steal, I think you should pay the price."

Maybe I've got it wrong, who else did you aim this at? As I said, ATW and Andviv are smart, they said nothing to imply stealing. If you read it closely they were even offering you the opportunity to be the person to explain the economy in book form or in video. They were offering you the opportunity to team up and make a buck. They were offering you or someone the chance to use their understanding of the complex economy to make a profit. They are looking for a solution.

You didn't step up to the plate. You continued and still continue to see the negative side.

The problem is what it is, I agree the economy is complex. That has been acknowledged by all.

Now, here's where the choice comes in, let it keep you down or search for understanding and solutions. I thought that is what we are here for, ways to capitalize on opportunity.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think it is clear that there is a need. There is demand for this product.

Probably the person who writes the suddendebt is very smart and, for what has been mentioned here, capable of simplifying the concepts so laymen can understand them.

Interestingly enough, until today I had never heard of such site.

Maybe he could work harder on marketing his site so it gets established as the place to go to get the real information. Maybe even monetize it by establishing a "how to profit from this mess" subscription newsletter.

But a quick check of that blog just showed me a very negative person trying to play macroeconomics. His comments are just about how he would fix the problem. I did not see a single mention of how to profit from this mess, or at least how to stop losing money, or what to put in place so you can be in a safe or advantageous position. Maybe there are posts like that in that site, but I couldn't find them, I got tired of it and had to stop reading.

If I were Bernanke/Paulson I'd do ... is a fun game to play, but futile in making your life better.

Maybe this is news for many, but here in this forum is well know, YOU CAN'T FIX THIS MESS. This is way bigger than you and me.

The way I see things, our course of action will be more productive if we focus on understanding the rules of the game, how they are changing, and where the opportunities lie.

I am more convinced than ever that explaining this in a simple way so people can grasp the concepts is a great way to make money, it is like getting paid for all the knowledge you have accumulated all these years you put into your research.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
The way I see things, our course of action will be more productive if we focus on understanding the rules of the game, how they are changing, and where the opportunities lie.

Yes!

People right now have a real desire to understand:

How do I preserve my wealth?
What leads to a hyperinflation? If that happens, what are some sound strategies to make money?
What leads to a deflation? stagflation? If that happens, what are some sound strategies to make money?

While it isn't wise to "tell people what to do" someone with knowledge could sure walk through: where we are, the "underlying" factors, where might we head? What would the various political plans mean for the economy? etc.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is really why I hate some of these links I'm starting to see ... they don't offer solutions. They are opinions based on things that I, as an individual, have no control over. Do I have control over the US Treasury? No. Do I have control over the overnight lending rate and the M1 money supply? No.

I can only control what I do with my investments and what business to start/close/grow.

Did anyone see the ad on this thread? Looks like some people are already capitalizing ... "These Banks Are About to Close ... Is Yours One of Them?"

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
ATW, yes, I know, it sucks when somebody I have no clue who s/he is comes to tell me what to do next.

however....

If that person is YOU and the topic is Self Storage, then I better listen. Same with SteveO and apartments, or MJ with online businesses, runum or phlgirl with SFH rentals, yves with cabins, Russ with B&B's, etc.

When Warren Buffet talks about a company's shares, people listen.

I think this is what people are craving. The smaller investor, or the guy with all his retirement money in a 401(k). What information do I need to know? and based on that, What to do next? What the real experts on the market are doing? Why?

In this forum we discussed at length the situation with the credit tightening a year ago. Some smart people read the signs, studied the facts, and took action. Only a few followed the advice: Max out your lines of credit, take a strong cash position, and get ready to buy. And yes, pay that +1 interest rate, it will be worth every penny of it.

That is using the right information in the right way.

How can we, as a group, get the same sign, define a course of action, and then move forward?

There are headlines that make people read, the alarmists can make it easily these days. How do we identify where the real information is? Who are the sources we should trust and follow? Where is the real advice?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.