The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating an Ecommerce Website - from nothing to functional

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
I’ve been interested in doing ecommerce for a while now, and with the popularity of biophase’s ecommerce thread I figured I would go ahead and jump in and set up a store. What I found was that I was completely unprepared for the costs and steps involved in setting up a store.

So here is the process I went through to set up the store. I figured this would help out people like me who are questioning the process of going from nothing to a functional store:

Day 1 (Monday):

By this time, I’ve found some dropshippers. One of them spells out everything I’ll need in order to apply. A domain, a website (or an in progress one), a company name, and sales tax ID number.

So what did I actually do on Monday? NOTHING. I hesitated like I always do. I can’t keep doing this.
Cost: TIME

Day 2 (Tuesday):

I registered the domain for my store. It contains my primary keyword, and I added “direct” to the end since just the keyword wasn’t available. I personally use name.com to register domains.
Cost: $10

I then set up the web hosting. I personally use HostGator.com because they let me do a month at a time instead of commiting to a year.
Cost: ~$10

Day 3 (Wednesday):

Time to set up the company. Now this is a little convoluted at first. I know I need to register the LLC but I also need a sales tax ID number. I found the right websites but I wasn’t 100% confident that I would choose the right form to fill out. I considered asking my dad for help, as he’s done this before, but I realized that I should do this by myself.

So I looked at legalzoom.com. I see they’ll do all of this for me for the cost of applying + $100. I say screw it, I can definitely do this myself and save some money. So I buckle down and fill out the application at work.
Cost: $100

After I submitted the charge to my credit card, I was kind of stunned. I just set up my first company. I didn’t set it up under a generic name either. It’s just my store name with LLC on the end. If I move away from this niche, it’ll look kind of silly setting up unrelated stores unless I register a new LLC. Oh well!

I also searched for an application for a sales tax ID number. What I found for my state (VA) was an employee identification number, which the IRS website made it seem like is the same thing as a sales tax ID number. (Can someone confirm this?)
There was no cost to apply for this.

When I got home from work, I decided to start getting my website set up. I decided to go with bigcommerce. It seemed to be pretty powerful, and it handles on site SEO very well, which I know helps out a lot. Now, I listen to Leo Laporte’s TWiT.tv network, and he advertises his promo code (leo) which will get you a 30 day free trail from them.

At first I put in his code, but some text on the page said that if I ordered a plan outright, I’d get $500 free adsense credit. I decided to just sign up for a plan.
Cost: $25

Now, when I signed up, I got the $50 adsense credit that the pricing page advertises. I’ll have to email someone about the $500. I ended up messing around a bit with some settings. I chose a simple built in layout and logo. I eventually got to my payment options. I set up Paypal business (just the standard free one) and Google checkout and told my store to use those.

I also went ahead and set up Google apps. With name.com, you can simply log in and turn on Google apps for your domain with the press of a button. You can also go to google.com/a to sign up for it. Once you’re signed up, there are instructions to tie your google apps to your domain. I set up an admin@ email for my store.

Now, I needed a credit card payment portal.

The only website I knew off the top of my head is authorize.net. So I went there, and saw a $100 set up fee. I got a little discouraged, as this is turning out to be a little more expensive to set up than I had in mind. Then, I learned about authorize.net’s resellers. If I sign up through them, I can get better rates and possibly a waived sign up fee.

So I opened all of the reseller’s websites and compared rates. I picked the one I wanted and started filling out the application. I got down to the end and it asked for banking information. Crap. I need to set up a business checking account at my bank. I’ll put this on hold for now.

Day 4 (Thursday):

Turns out I was wrong before, a sales tax ID isn't the same as the EIN. I was reading the website wrong. I filled out the application for my sales tax ID. It was free and didn't take very long at all.

I ended up having name server issues and had trouble accessing my store. I had to log in to name.com to change the nameservers to point to bigcommerce. Once I did that, I had access to my store again. I finalized the layout for now, and got some more stuff set up with the store.

I was a little busier than I thought so I didn't get to email any dropshippers. I decided that I would focus on one dropshipper that specifically says it's okay if I'm actually setting up a store and don't have a fully functional one. Now that I have a store up with some demo products, that will show them that I'm ready to go once I get some product info from them.

Once I get some product from them, I'll set my store up with real product and contact other dropshippers.

Day 5 (Friday):

Today I'll be setting up my business checking account after work, and then emailing my first dropshipper when I get home.

I’ll update this as I go on. These are the steps I have left to do:
  • Set up business checking account.
  • Set up online payment gateway (authorize.net).
  • Email dropshippers.
  • Set up store (design, add products).
  • Set up adwords campaign.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Now, I needed a credit card payment portal.

The only website I knew off the top of my head is authorize.net. So I went there, and saw a $100 set up fee. I got a little discouraged, as this is turning out to be a little more expensive to set up than I had in mind. Then, I learned about authorize.net’s resellers. If I sign up through them, I can get better rates and possibly a waived sign up fee.

So I opened all of the reseller’s websites and compared rates. I picked the one I wanted and started filling out the application. I got down to the end and it asked for banking information. Crap. I need to set up a business checking account at my bank. I’ll put this on hold for now.

Why not go just with Bigcommerce's credit card processor?

BTW, before you sign up for a credit card processor, read the fine print. Most of them require 2-3 year contracts and they never tell you about them.

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
Why not go just with Bigcommerce's credit card processor?

BTW, before you sign up for a credit card processor, read the fine print. Most of them require 2-3 year contracts and they never tell you about them.

Thanks man. To be honest I didn't even see that they had one. That or I saw it and it just didn't register. Newbie mistake. I'll probably stick with that for simplicity's sake then.

Congrats on taking action!

Just an FYI, Steve Chou's blog has a lot of good info on setting up an online store @ Starting An Online Business When Your Wife Wants To Stay At Home With The Kids | MyWifeQuitHerJob.com.

I'm in the middle of creating on online store myself (among other things), just though I'd share.

Yea I've read probably most of his posts. I wanted to make this in order to get the business stuff down too.

Speaking of which, I did some googling and the EIN I got isn't the same as the sales tax id number. The EIN you get from the IRS, and the sales tax id you get from your state's office of taxation. So I'll update and be sure to clarify that in the post.

I have the sales tax id now, and tonight I'll be contacting the dropshippers.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Paypal Pro. Easy to use except paypal is sketch

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
Short answer: no, as far as this thread is concerned.

Don't take that as me giving up. I've been busting my butt getting my store running. Turns out it's not the 1-2 week process I thought it would be, at least for a newbie like me.

But that's my point, I'm still new at this. I created this thread thinking I had some value to give. Maybe I do, but honestly my time is better spent OFF of these forums for now. Once I learn more, I'll come back and either update this thread or re-do it properly to give people the realistic time and money costs associated with this, cause it's a HELL of a lot more than I thought.

I do enjoy the work, however. My fiance visited her parents last weekend and I spent almost the entire weekend working. I have about 50 products in my store now (with multiple options for each, making it a couple hundred easily really), I started doing SEO, and last night my adwords campaign went live so I'm looking forward to seeing if my work pays off now.

In addition to the costs listed above, I've paid $20 for 2 articles (Elance), ~$130 on SEO, and probably some other odds and ends. Right now I have $100 adwords credit so thankfully that wont cost me anything out of pocket if somehow my store doesn't convert.

Anyways, there you have it. I spend days at my job and nights on my business, so posting here isn't a high priority. I still lurk every now and then though!

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
I'm glad it's taking you longer then 2 weeks to set up. I'm a newbie as well and I've been at mine for almost 3 months now with not a penny earned, but I do hardly have time. I work two jobs and go to school (which I just recently finished) and am now in the process of moving. Don't feel bad that your not set up, as long as your making progress and learning, then your headed in the right direction.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I'm glad it's taking you longer then 2 weeks to set up. I'm a newbie as well and I've been at mine for almost 3 months now with not a penny earned, but I do hardly have time. I work two jobs and go to school (which I just recently finished) and am now in the process of moving. Don't feel bad that your not set up, as long as your making progress and learning, then your headed in the right direction.

What is that saying Misery loves company.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
#1 You don't need hostgator if you are using bigcommerce. I also hope you plan on trying this for more than a month, because it will certainly take longer than that to start making money.

#2 what area of Virginia are you in? You need to file with the county as well (good ol commonwealth) but a reseller ID which is required also requires you to file monthly sales tax reports (which suck). That number is different from your FEIN.

#3 On set up fee's and all that... pick up the phone and call people. I get most of those types of fees waived just by talking to people. It's best to call the suppliers first before applying as well. most of the time they will fast track your application while you are on the phone.

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
#1 You don't need hostgator if you are using bigcommerce. I also hope you plan on trying this for more than a month, because it will certainly take longer than that to start making money.

#2 what area of Virginia are you in? You need to file with the county as well (good ol commonwealth) but a reseller ID which is required also requires you to file monthly sales tax reports (which suck). That number is different from your FEIN.

#3 On set up fee's and all that... pick up the phone and call people. I get most of those types of fees waived just by talking to people. It's best to call the suppliers first before applying as well. most of the time they will fast track your application while you are on the phone.

I don't need them, but they gave me $100 in adwords credit so I went ahead and signed up with them. And I've been doing this for about 2 months now. I have a set budget and if by then I've made no money, that's it for this idea.

I'm in the Richmond Area, yea I left that out of my original post but I have filed with the county.

Thanks for the tip with set up fees. Stuff does seem to get done faster "face to face", so I'll try calling next time.

As for my site, it's up and operational. I've done some SEO, I have an adwords campaign, and I'm actually getting decent traffic, but it hasn't translated to a sale yet. I'm a little worried cause I've been getting decent hits for a week now. I just made a few changes so I'll see if that helps. Also considering opening an ebay store because bigcommerce makes it easy to list your stuff on there.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
I don't need them, but they gave me $100 in adwords credit so I went ahead and signed up with them. And I've been doing this for about 2 months now. I have a set budget and if by then I've made no money, that's it for this idea.

I'm in the Richmond Area, yea I left that out of my original post but I have filed with the county.

Thanks for the tip with set up fees. Stuff does seem to get done faster "face to face", so I'll try calling next time.

As for my site, it's up and operational. I've done some SEO, I have an adwords campaign, and I'm actually getting decent traffic, but it hasn't translated to a sale yet. I'm a little worried cause I've been getting decent hits for a week now. I just made a few changes so I'll see if that helps. Also considering opening an ebay store because bigcommerce makes it easy to list your stuff on there.

How many hits are you getting? Also, the hardest part about e-commerce is the product. You can get all the traffic in the world but if that product is a dud, you are going to have a hard time squeezing juice out of that lemon

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
Visits: 226

Unique Visitors: 196

Pageviews: 602

Pages / Visit: 2.66

Avg. Visit Duration: 00:01:34

Bounce Rate: 50.88%

% New Visits: 85.40%

This is from June 7th, about when I started my adwords campaigns to today. Here's the website:
Scented Candles

Maybe there's something obvious that I'm missing and not seeing. Right now I've stopped my adwords. I really don't want to pour money into it if it's not converting. I think I can find another $50 in credit and rethink my campaign and target keywords. Either this weekend or next week I'm going to set up an ebay store and see if I can generate something from that. Might look into amazon as well.

I bought a gift basket from the dropshipper for my mom for mothers day. I got the chance to see the product itself and it's actually quite nice, and the scents are wonderful. Maybe I can get my mom to write a few reviews for the candles she got.

My fiance's mom and her friends have been waiting for me to go live, so maybe once they purchase it'll get the top sellers looking more active (the 2 there now are bogus transactions I made).

Thanks for the help so far guys. I know this isn't a GREAT 'niche' but I figured if I could drive traffic I could sell.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You are not converting anything because you are just selling stuff.

What i mean by that, is your store is just a standard shop with stuff to buy. There is nothing that makes it different from the thousands of other candle stores out there. You dont provide any above and beyond info, you dont present anything in a cool new way, there are no crazy deals going on to get my in the door. etc etc

You see where i am going with this? To really make a store convert in a niche market you have to really stand out. Otherwise it is easier for me to buy from amazon where they already have all my info stored and i know they will take care of me. I dont feel the compelling need to shop at your store because nothing makes it different.

be different, make money

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
Thanks for the honesty. I had the idea for some sort of subscription service for candle refills. Since the product is conveniently designed to be destroyed, I figured it would add convenience to pay a flat rate to have refills shipped every month. Maybe it's time to implement that. I could add reed diffusers and do the same thing for the fragrant oil.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You might want to take the time to make some really nice product descriptions. everything is so plain jane on there. People want to read unique content. You can't stand out with factory descriptions that don't actually describe anything. Take the time to make the site worth using, describe how the candles smell, add photos of pictures that remind you of the smell, etc.

Do a search for your product in google, look at the top 10 sites in google, then look at yours.... if you were a customer... would you overwhelmingly want to purchase from you rather than the other 10 guys selling the same thing?

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
I'll admit they have me beat on product descriptions. So I'll definitely overhaul those this weekend. But honestly, other than obvious ones like yankee candles, the top websites are a navigational nightmare. I think mine is pretty good on ease of use.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
I'll admit they have me beat on product descriptions. So I'll definitely overhaul those this weekend. But honestly, other than obvious ones like yankee candles, the top websites are a navigational nightmare. I think mine is pretty good on ease of use.

No offense but man that site is bare as hell. The product descriptions are extremely weak. Also, I would refrain from posting your site in an e-commerce thread such as this. Easy way for people to steal you niches. I can create a store that looks ten times better and it will take me a week and probably get 10 times more traffic then you would ever get. Not to boast but if you put your heart and soul into something don't post it on a forum. Rule number 1 of internet marketing.

You don't want all your hard earned work to go to waste by being careless. It happens man. I never divulge my niches especially ones that are making money.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
The reason your analytics data looks thin is because your site needs a better design, pictures, and product descriptions I'm guessing...

A high converting eCommerce site will have visitors onsite for around 10:00 minutes, and a bounce rate of around 20 percent.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
The reason your analytics data looks thin is because your site needs a better design, pictures, and product descriptions I'm guessing...

A high converting eCommerce site will have visitors onsite for around 10:00 minutes, and a bounce rate of around 20 percent.

Really 10 minutes? And a bounce rate of 20 percent?? I think you are talking about Amazon here. I have never had a site even close to being an average of 10 minutes, that is insane! And 20 percent bounce rate? Come on, you have got to be kidding me!

My sites look dope and have done my research. Average bounce rate is around 50 percent. 20 percent is rare and 10 minutes on a site is rare as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

These numbers seem high to me as well. Industry data shows alot lower numbers.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Visits: 226

Unique Visitors: 196

You've have only 200 visitors and you expect a sale? Conversion rates are about 1% so statisically you should have 2 sales by now. But your sample size is so small.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I bought a gift basket from the dropshipper for my mom for mothers day. I got the chance to see the product itself and it's actually quite nice, and the scents are wonderful. Maybe I can get my mom to write a few reviews for the candles she got.

My fiance's mom and her friends have been waiting for me to go live, so maybe once they purchase it'll get the top sellers looking more active (the 2 there now are bogus transactions I made).

You missed a golden chance here. When you got that gift basket you should have took photos of each product and the gift basket to use for your site.

What do you mean waiting for you to go live? Aren't you live?

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
I could show you a screenshot... :p

Dude, I dont doubt that you have that. You could I am just saying your site does not mean all sites. There are some really profitable sites out there with high bounce rates and low time on site. I would like to see a screenshot if you don't mind :)

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
No offense but man that site is bare as hell. The product descriptions are extremely weak. Also, I would refrain from posting your site in an e-commerce thread such as this. Easy way for people to steal you niches. I can create a store that looks ten times better and it will take me a week and probably get 10 times more traffic then you would ever get. Not to boast but if you put your heart and soul into something don't post it on a forum. Rule number 1 of internet marketing.

You don't want all your hard earned work to go to waste by being careless. It happens man. I never divulge my niches especially ones that are making money.

No offense to you but come on, this isn't exactly a golden niche. You can throw up a better candle site? There are already plenty of those :)

I didn't explain this very well in my thread, but this isn't supposed to be my fastlane. This isn't supposed to replace my job. This is me learning. I have a very small budget set aside for this site, and once it runs out, I better be making sales or it's dead. This is a tool for me to learn, and I've learned a lot as it is. Those 200+ I've driven to my site is the most traffic I've ever had, and I'm really glad when I see that number. I've created a business for the first time, done SEO for the first time, and tried adwords for the first time. My goal is to learn and I think I'm doing great there.

So go ahead, get into the 'niche' if you really want to!

And yea I'm live now, the word just hasn't spread yet to family.

jpass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 3, 2012
Virginia
You've have only 200 visitors and you expect a sale? Conversion rates are about 1% so statisically you should have 2 sales by now. But your sample size is so small.

You missed a golden chance here. When you got that gift basket you should have took photos of each product and the gift basket to use for your site.

What do you mean waiting for you to go live? Aren't you live?

Yea, it is my first 200 visitors but yea I always heard to expect around 1% conversions. I guess I was hoping for A sale, but after pointing out poor item descriptions I wouldn't even buy from my site. :)

I missed a golden chance? Are you saying I shouldn't use the pictures I have on my site? Yea they're the manufacturers but I thought they were pretty. A few people have mentioned me lacking pictures when I think that's one thing I'm really not (soy candles are lacking, though).

And I haven't missed anything. Yea the basket itself has been opened, but she hasn't burned any of the candles yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.