The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crap. domain names are all gone

J P D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 6, 2007
Chicago, Il
I went to register some domain names I had picked out for my future business just to make sure they would be available when the time comes and guess what... they are all taken except one. I figured that some of them would be taken but some were really obscure combinations of abbreviations and they were gone too. So out of curiosity I got out my dictionary and started trying word after word and guess what, they are all gone it seems. I don't want to start having to ad numbers to the end of my domain like an email address.

I did have one idea that I thought of and it is still available. It is a six letter domain name with three consecutive two letter abbreviations. sorta like INEDYO.com. my company name would be "inches edition your", doesn't make any sense in this example but you can get the idea. My idea does flow like a word that someone could say out loud like my example which could be brand-able. it could catch on, look at google. what are your thoughts?

also, should I sign up for an email account for my domain at the time of registration or is that something I could do later on when I begin building the site?

thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I went to register some domain names I had picked out for my future business just to make sure they would be available when the time comes and guess what... they are all taken except one. I figured that some of them would be taken but some were really obscure combinations of abbreviations and they were gone too. So out of curiosity I got out my dictionary and started trying word after word and guess what, they are all gone it seems. I don't want to start having to ad numbers to the end of my domain like an email address.

I did have one idea that I thought of and it is still available. It is a six letter domain name with three consecutive two letter abbreviations. sorta like INEDYO.com. my company name would be "inches edition your", doesn't make any sense in this example but you can get the idea. My idea does flow like a word that someone could say out loud like my example which could be brand-able. it could catch on, look at google. what are your thoughts?

also, should I sign up for an email account for my domain at the time of registration or is that something I could do later on when I begin building the site?

thanks

Haha yes, finding a good domain is very hard!

It was so hard for us that we actually went to a different language, LATIN!!!

Apto means "adaptive" in Latin, so maybe you could check out some other languages and that may help.

By the way, when you get a domain name you will be entitled to an email address with it..Or at least you will if you host with aptohosting.com.

For example my email address is tom@aptohosting.com...you will be able to do the same thing.

Hope it helps,
Tom C.

www.aptohosting.com

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
I was actually reading earlier today that as of Nov 2nd all of the 4 letter .com domains had been registered. It'll be interesting to see how the value of junk .com domains move in the next few months.

Oh and Apto kicks more a$$ than a Transformer-esque a$$ kicking machine. Seriously, if you're new to this whole domaining/site building thing, having the support and customer service that Tom provides is priceless.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
The secondary market is worth considering, I picked up two really good ones last week for a few thousand dollars.

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
I wouldn't fret over it... While a good DN is nice, IMO t's not necessary.

Having the perfect name is overrated. How many people own good names and have no business savvy? I'd take a second rate DN with a great business strategy, in a hungry market, with a competitive service / product and a dose of experience anyday..

Look for a .org DN or add a little twist to the name.

Check the aftermarkets and sites like www.namepros.com

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
My idea does flow like a word that someone could say out loud like my example which could be brand-able. it could catch on, look at google. what are your thoughts?

This idea - picking a name for a company - is discussed in the book, Art of the Start. It is worth the read, btw. Here is a review.

It actually talks about picking a name (short, catchy, made up word) that could sound like a verb. Insert the name into this sentence.... __________ it. (For example: Google it.)

You want a name that could become a part of the english language... get integrated into our thoughts and the way we speak. That is ultimate name recognition!!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
This idea - picking a name for a company - is discussed in the book, Art of the Start. It is worth the read, btw. Here is a review.

It actually talks about picking a name (short, catchy, made up word) that could sound like a verb. Insert the name into this sentence.... __________ it. (For example: Google it.)

You want a name that could become a part of the english language... get integrated into our thoughts and the way we speak. That is ultimate name recognition!!
Heck they just added google to the dictionary last year. Thats pretty much a household name for reasons you just described.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I believe there are still a few 4 letter domain names available. I looked at buying a few 6 months ago. They were all like: XIJQ or IIRZ or PQZT.com. I didn't buy any cause I don't feel that just because they are 4 letters they are better than a five or six letter name that makes some sense.

Even if your company was called Xray Infinite Joke Quids. XIJQ.com may not be better than XrayJQ, or XrayJokers.com... etc...

I still think there are many many good domains out there. They just have to make some sort of sense. Try getting a Two word, two syllable domain name.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
I believe there are still a few 4 letter domain names available. I looked at buying a few 6 months ago. They were all like: XIJQ or IIRZ or PQZT.com. I didn't buy any cause I don't feel that just because they are 4 letters they are better than a five or six letter name that makes some sense.

Even if your company was called Xray Infinite Joke Quids. XIJQ.com may not be better than XrayJQ, or XrayJokers.com... etc...

I still think there are many many good domains out there. They just have to make some sort of sense. Try getting a Two word, two syllable domain name.

I agree that there are many good domains left. I'm just interested to see how supply and demand will drive prices in terms of web real estate.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I disagree that there are no good names left. With a little creativity and due dilligence, you can still create a needle in a haystack. I just picked up investorshill.com, moneyjustice, and stressanxietykiller a few weeks back. I would suggest creating a master DN idea list on paper, as I did. I spent about 2 months carrying a pocket sized notepad. Throughout the day when I would think of business ideas, I would write down a domain name that fit the script. Often I would find myself getting out of bed in the evenings before I fell asleep to add to the list. When it was time to register, I had a categorized list of about a thousand DN's so I wouldn't get discouraged when my top choice was already taken. I also searched google for some of them to see if anyone submitted a sitemap for any of my potentials. By all means, listen to everyone else here that says do NOT search on godaddy and others for your domain names. I have been shanked numerous times by them.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I find that I get about 1 in 15 of the domains I try. Not to bad considering trying names is free.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY

:iagree: and :thankyousign:

I've been going through some of the older posts in the ebiz section and came across this thread. Great stuff.

I particularly liked this response from ATW.

About six months ago I *invented* a word - yes, I make things up, words included - that fits the criteria listed above:
  • short,
  • catchy,
  • could be used as a verb,
  • very brandable
  • AND, since it remains only in my head, is available in a .com domain :hurray:
I have been working since then to develop a business around the word. It has been quite the experience. I have created a definition for the word, am developing a plan on how to market it and more importantly, am coming up with products and services to sell along with it.

I wonder how many businesses start out with a name and then the business is built around it?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I've been going through some of the older posts in the ebiz section and came across this thread. Great stuff.

About six months ago I *invented* a word -

Thank you for bumping this. I had forgotten about lessons learned from 'Art of the Start.'

It comes at a timely time....
Need to go make up some names ;)

memenode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 22, 2008
Europe
It's funny last night when I was trying some domains I actually thought "wow, there are some good domains available". :D

Of course though, they're combinations of words or something made up, but still fairly short, brandable etc. I even found domains with two dictionary words separated by a dash that actually make sense! :D

I can't tell you which since I didn't got them... yet.. I've got lots of domains already...

ZenSatori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Sep 2, 2008
Marietta, Georgia
Don't forget the creative use of numbers as well, for example I checked and INFO4MILLIONAIRES.COM is available, or something like GR8INFO4U.COM (taken, but you get the idea). Remember that because of the increased use of texting, abbreviations like GR8, 4U, 2ME, etc... are very recognizable. Several of my domain names capitalize on this concept.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.