The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Could you kill an animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Had a thought in my head last night biking through the trails and seeing some ducks bathing in the river.

In China it's common to eat duck and goose while in Chinada these animals are protected under wildlife acts, and the thought of killing one to eat is something I'd never do.

Yet by eating meat we support the mass murders of other animals for our food, so I wanted to ask the forum and get a rough idea of what other people think and feel. I'll say I do eat meat and have been my whole life although the vegan thing is a possibility for the future... (I can't imagine a life without pizza or chocolate)

My answer is no, as harming an animal would psychologically damage me most likely, I can't even kill a spider and always put them outside. I'm not trying to start a debate on vegan and meat eaters, just want to see the psychology aspect of other people that eat meat.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Don't dare to kill or touch any animal unless you consider tiny ants. But I do believe humans are omnivores and the "don't eat meat" thing is another of those new age liberal movements that are sweeping the west, such as the PC disease, 10+ types of genders and toxic feminism but that's a story for another day lol

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll say I do eat meat and have been my whole life although the vegan thing is a possibility for the future.

My answer is no, as harming an animal would psychologically damage me most likely,
So you can't kill an animal but you are ok with eating meat.

In China it's common to eat duck and goose while in Chinada these animals are protected under wildlife acts, and the thought of killing one to eat is something I'd never do.

Yet by eating meat we support the mass murders of other animals for our food,
But eating ducks and goose aren't ok to you.

So you continue to support mass murderers (as you call it) and are ok with it, because you can't give up eating meat?

The logic in your thoughts make absolutely no sense at all.

loop101

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Yet by eating meat we support the mass murders of other animals for our food,

Not necessarily. Financial support via patronage is not the same thing as ethical support. There are also a lot of people who kill their own meat, its common in the South.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So you can't kill an animal but you are ok with eating meat.

But eating ducks and goose aren't ok to you.

So you continue to support mass murderers (as you call it) and are ok with it, because you can't give up eating meat?

The logic in your thoughts make absolutely no sense at all.

There's no logic in my brain at all, it's just a thought I had in my head about how personally I'm unable to harm an animal despite being a meat eater, the blood isn't on my hands at all and by eating traditional foods, it falls under ''out of sight out of mind'' type thinking.

You could say the vast majority of people on earth are indoctrinated to believe certain things, i.e in the USA & Canada it's a very popular meal to have a burger, fries and a nice ice old Coca Cola, meanwhile in another part of the world like India they worship cows.

So I'm just curious as to how many people are like myself with an inner conflict.

@Odysseus M Jones Mosquitos... yes I happily squash them and leave them for the spiders in my room to eat

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Don't dare to kill or touch any animal unless you consider tiny ants. But I do believe humans are omnivores and the "don't eat meat" thing is another of those new age liberal movements that are sweeping the west, such as the PC disease, 10+ types of genders and toxic feminism but that's a story for another day lol

Apart from health reasons I think the main thing vegans are on about is the cruelty in farming, although if you go by religions, animals are on earth for us to eat.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Had a thought in my head last night biking through the trails and seeing some ducks bathing in the river.

Yet by eating meat we support the mass murders of other animals for our food, so I wanted to ask the forum and get a rough idea of what other people think and feel. I'll say I do eat meat and have been my whole life although the vegan thing is a possibility for the future... (I can't imagine a life without pizza or chocolate)

My answer is no, as harming an animal would psychologically damage me most likely, I can't even kill a spider and always put them outside. I'm not trying to start a debate on vegan and meat eaters, just want to see the psychology aspect of other people that eat meat.
Lol, I kill animals all the time.
In fact the next one, a young calf, will be in about 2 weeks.
There is nothing wrong with it especially since you understand what eating meat is.
People in the west seem to forget that we are walking sacks of meat too and a hungry carnivore wouldnt think twice about eating us if given the chance.
Your fear stems from the western move away from nature.
Embrace your animal nature.
Just because we wear shoes and posses an intellect doesnt mean we are not animals or that we are somehow above nature.
More importantly, if you kill, you dont waste the kill.
When I think about the amount of food in the form of meat wasted in the west and the arrogance of people who think they can somehow live outside of the death/life cycle makes me mad.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Interesting that you don’t eat duck in Canada, we eat it in Australia and it’s delicious, I just assumed every western country ate it

D

Deleted78083

Nature is cruel, it gives birth to millions of living beings every minute while taking the lives of millions of others every minute as well.

For something to live, something else has to die (and btw, plants do feel stress and pain as well).

The question is not "can you kill an animal", but "how can you respect the animals' dignity as much as you can in the killing?"

Unless you live off salt only, you're gonna have to eat a living organism you or someone else killed.

Such is life.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
(I can't imagine a life without pizza or chocolate)

It's easy to find both vegan pizza and chocolate. Pizza dough is by default vegan and every good pizzeria should have at least one vegan pizza (for example traditional pizza marinara). You can also easily find vegan cheese.

As for chocolate, dark chocolate is already vegan. There are also tons of vegan choices in both white and "milk" chocolate.

As for the discussion, you'll find this book interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9TGIME/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

although if you go by religions, animals are on earth for us to eat.

Actually, this is only or mostly the view of Christianism, Judaism and Islam.

Vegetarianism (eggs not allowed, dairy is allowed) is very common in Hinduism. Roughly 35% of India alone (450 million people) is vegetarian. Buddhism also suggests vegetarianism. There are also smaller religions like Jainism that are strictly vegetarian/vegan.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I’m personally not vegan. But I’m very aware of my body to how it “responds” to certain foods. And I’ve slowly drifted away from meat. And certain things have improved. I’ll probably have to become vegan eventually because of my health issues.

But yes, I agree that nature does exhibit cruelty between organisms in their striving to survive. But it’s also helpful to remember that intelligence and morality does manifest itself differently in nature. It’s not all the same. And it’s really not a sufficient excuse to just go around killing every living thing just because lions do.

If you look closely into nature. Apart from brutal things , it also exhibits compassionate things. Like an avocado grown on a tree. It’s actually a gift from nature to you and me. No killing involved.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada

People can lawfully hunt and eat both ducks and geese in Canada. There are specific hunting seasons here for it in many zones. Though I am not certain of each provinces laws.

I've personally eaten both duck and goose. And I have also killed more birds and animals than I can count. I am happy to answer any questions you may have if you wish to further understand the perspective of someone who grew up on a farm and around a community of hunters, fishers and trappers.

Interesting that you don’t eat duck in Canada, we eat it in Australia and it’s delicious, I just assumed every western country ate it

People do eat duck in Canada. It's not as popular as beef, chicken or pork of course.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
People do eat duck in Canada. It's not as popular as beef, chicken or pork of course.

Yeah it’s the same here, the original post made it sound like you can’t eat duck in Canada

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Apart from health reasons I think the main thing vegans are on about is the cruelty in farming, although if you go by religions, animals are on earth for us to eat.

Those grass munchers are denying many truths. The more people that go vegan, the more land needed to be cleared and flattened to grow more crops for these grass munchers. This results in the destruction of entire ecosystems - animals big and small. And because non-meat diet is less filling, there needs to be a ton of land freed up to fill up the bellies of these grass munchers. This is far worse than eating animals. Destroying entire ecosystems is the best way to wipe out and send many animals into endangered and extinction status.

Also, it's impossible for anyone to be "vegan". Ok, so they use vegan soaps and eat vegan food. But what about the processes indirectly involved to make those vegan products? Is every single step of the process vegan-certified? LOL

IMO, whether people accept it or not, veganism is a form of 21st century virtue signaling (e.g: ugh, I'm a kind and holy person because I don't eat animals).

D

Deleted78083

Those grass munchers are denying many truths. The more people that go vegan, the more land needed to be cleared and flattened to grow more crops for these grass munchers. This results in the destruction of entire ecosystems - animals big and small. And because non-meat diet is less filling, there needs to be a ton of land freed up to fill up the bellies of these grass munchers. This is far worse than eating animals. Destroying entire ecosystems is the best way to wipe out and send many animals into endangered and extinction status.

Also, it's impossible for anyone to be "vegan". Ok, so they use vegan soaps and eat vegan food. But what about the processes indirectly involved to make those vegan products? Is every single step of the process vegan-certified? LOL

IMO, whether people accept it or not, veganism is a form of 21st century virtue signaling (e.g: ugh, I'm a kind and holy person because I don't eat animals).
If anyone wants to further know how destructive veganism is for both health and ecosystems, check out the book "Sacred cow" by Robb Wolf and Diana Rogers.

#billgateswantsyoutogovegan

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Nature is cruel, it gives birth to millions of living beings every minute while taking the lives of millions of others every minute as well.

For something to live, something else has to die (and btw, plants do feel stress and pain as well).

The question is not "can you kill an animal", but "how can you respect the animals' dignity as much as you can in the killing?"

Unless you live off salt only, you're gonna have to eat a living organism you or someone else killed.

Such is life.

Nature is indeed very savage, some weeks ago I ran into a couple of deer (which I fed one lol) and a racoon, and there have been cougar sightings in my area.... haven't seen the deer at all lately....

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
Yes, I would kill (and have killed) an animal and I'm pretty sure even the most die-hard of vegans would do the same if they were in a survival situation and it was literally kill the animal and eat or die of starvation. The human desire to survive and stay alive would soon over-ride any other feelings someone might have. We are all animals at the end of the day and life in the natural world is a ruthless game of survival.

That said, I would never kill an animal just for the sake of it or purely for "fun", I would only do it if I intended to eat it.

Veganism is a choice but it's not for me. I personally do eat a plant based diet but I do include some meat/fish as part of it, and love eggs which I would find harder to give up than meat.

The thing that riles me most about some Vegan ads is the message sometimes promoted that farmers are all animal abusers. Having grown up on a farm and lived in the industry, I can safely say most farmers care for their animals. My dad would even be often seen stroking his cattle and feel a tinge of sadness on the day they were to go to market, but at the same time he knew this was the reality of his business and life. There are exceptions of course - just like there are doctors that like to kill their patients, there are farmers that abuse their animals and treat them like garbage. But most farmers, just like most doctors, are good people.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Yes, I would kill (and have killed) an animal and I'm pretty sure even the most die-hard of vegans would do the same if they were in a survival situation and it was literally kill the animal and eat or die of starvation. The human desire to survive and stay alive would soon over-ride any other feelings someone might have. We are all animals at the end of the day and life in the natural world is a ruthless game of survival.

That said, I would never kill an animal just for the sake of it or purely for "fun", I would only do it if I intended to eat it.

Veganism is a choice but it's not for me. I personally do eat a plant based diet but I do include some meat/fish as part of it, and love eggs which I would find harder to give up than meat.

The thing that riles me most about some Vegan ads is the message sometimes promoted that farmers are all animal abusers. Having grown up on a farm and lived in the industry, I can safely say most farmers care for their animals. My dad would even be often seen stroking his cattle and feel a tinge of sadness on the day they were to go to market, but at the same time he knew this was the reality of his business and life. There are exceptions of course - just like there are doctors that like to kill their patients, there are farmers that abuse their animals and treat them like garbage. But most farmers, just like most doctors, are good people.

The last bit is the main point of vegans mostly I think, there have been some protests here in Vancouver, well.. just a small group of people standing on the side of the road with pictures of cows or pigs being killed in the middle of the day.

I talked with a farmer at a chicken farm showing thing and asked if you can kill a chicken ethically to which he said killing is killing, although I do think there's a difference between a small family farm and mass farming like Mcdonalds uses, hearing about how animals are basicially tortured before death is pretty disgusting, but if it's an instant death at least you can ''feel'' better about it.

Just watched a video on how chickens are kept in cages, quite disturbing.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
I have killed an animal with my bare hands: I pulled the head off of a mouse to try to get my pet snake to eat. And I was a vegan at the time.

I was a vegan for about 11 years, in the camp of "I'm either going to kill my own food or stop eating meat". I don't regret it, but now I happily eat steak and I let other people get involved in the killing.

Although I am very interested in hunting and fishing (and have been since I was a kid), I made a decision to not kill anything, because I've made a lot of progress in meditation over the past few years and I don't want to make meditation or life in general more difficult by exposing myself to unnecessary trauma. Killing animals does cause you trauma, I think any mature hunter can admit to feeling a pang of remorse - not that it's wrong for them to kill, but killing is serious stuff, it shouldn't be taken lightly.

I quit being a vegan because I finally realized for myself what it means when people say "animals are not part of the moral community". Pigs might be cute and smart, but a pig would also eat me without a second thought if given the opportunity.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
The last bit is the main point of vegans mostly I think, there have been some protests here in Vancouver, well.. just a small group of people standing on the side of the road with pictures of cows or pigs being killed in the middle of the day.

I talked with a farmer at a chicken farm showing thing and asked if you can kill a chicken ethically to which he said killing is killing, although I do think there's a difference between a small family farm and mass farming like Mcdonalds uses, hearing about how animals are basicially tortured before death is pretty disgusting, but if it's an instant death at least you can ''feel'' better about it.

Just watched a video on how chickens are kept in cages, quite disturbing.
Yeah I come from the perspective of being in the UK and having raised sheep and cattle, never chickens. I think the agricultural industry, like many industries/businesses can sometimes fall prey to "over-capitalism" (a word I'd not come across until I read MJ's books!) which in the case of the chicken industry could mean churning out eggs and meat on a mass scale with scant care for the chickens themselves and therefore little care for the quality of the end product too. As you say, mass produced for Mcdonalds where quantity is all that matters is very different to family farms. Where quality matters, there is more of a financial incentive to look after the animals involved as it has been proven that stressed animals (even being stressed at the time of slaughter) reduces the final meat (or whatever the product is) quality.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

So, this is kind of sad, but yes I could and I have.
If you've ever been hunting, you know that sometimes the animal doesn't die cleanly. You want it to, but sometimes it doesn't.
When dove hunting, if the bird isn't dead when you pick it up, you normally have to twist its head off.
It's always been sad to me. But it's what you do when you want to end its pain and have meat for dinner.
IDK - lots of people have different feelings about this stuff and I respect that, but my feeling is this is how it has been for thousands of years, and if anything happened to the artificially abundant urban world we are in today, you're going to end up hunting and gathering for survival again. It's not "wrong," just natural. Like the coyote killing the rabbit.

My family has a farming background (great grandparents and prior lived on a farm with no running water or electricity). We also have land with cattle farmers on it. I don't have qualms about eating meat, about agriculture, etc. I've been pretty close to all of those things for most of my life, and I don't see it the way PETA shows it online... Not at all.

Keep in mind most of what PETA says is bullshit. For example, the one about wool showing a bloody dead sheep... Lol. Shearing the wool off of a sheep doesn't hurt it. It grows back; it's like a haircut.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Interesting to see alot of votes for yes

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I can and have (one time for a class dissection that I'm not 100% sure would be legal here in the US...)
Certainly not an enjoyable experience, and I haven't bought a hunting license in about 10 years.

How can this be true? How can it be more efficient to convert plants > meat > human energy than from plants > human energy directly?
I'd be interested in actual studies on this. All I can find via Google search is obviously-biased articles.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

I tried a vegan sandwich today, still feel quite hungry after finishing it.. hmm

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I guarantee what you all seem to know about veganism is purely based on what you WANT TO KNOW to maintain/confirm your bias and your worldview.

Not based on any facts.

Kinda like how people practice religion on this planet-- not based on exhaustive research into the world's theologies, but based on tradition and cultural programming. Wow, just because you were born a Mormon in Utah, you were blessed with the truth? How convenient, and I must say, lucky of you!

Interesting in my own research, I found the topic of veganism nearly identical to that of religion. People believe what they want to believe solely based on either cultural programming, or based on tradition. Arguments are always rooted in FEAR, like one is seeking to take away a child's favorite toy.

Don't threaten my meat!

Your meat?

It was never your meat to begin with as much as my family dog is not your meat either.

Bottomline, trying to convince religious nuts that their selected God in the Sky is not the truth is like a "grass muncher" like me trying to convince a meat-eater that sentient life with a nervous system, fears, and a deep instinctual will to live is not within their rights for the taking.

But that's OK, I'm not here to convince anyone just as I'm not here to argue such ignorant statements like "God put animals on the planet for us to eat" -- LOL, says who? The Biblical book your Roman emperors transcribed and translated three hundred times?

BTW, I'm an accidental vegan and came across it writing Unscripted as I sought to expose "scripts" that were universally accepted based purely on tradition or cultural programming, things like religion, "go to college" and other universally accepted maxims.

That said, I didn't let my biases and desire for flavor bury the truth.

How can this be true? How can it be more efficient to convert plants > meat > human energy than from plants > human energy directly?

It's not.

Unfortunately, that clown isn't interested in any truth and it doesn't matter what I (or anyone) posts here.

Like many outspoken and fearful carnivores who desperately cling to old ideas, he's only interested in confirming his biases while calling anyone who doesn't agree with his narrow worldview a "grass muncher" --- belittling and pejoratively labeling vegans (grass munchers, soy boys, et. al.) is the new institutionally supported racism.

I'm OK with it, but I'm not going to have my forum advance anti-vegan propaganda and @Xeon 's knee-jerk ignorance, which has been plastered on this forum many times. I just hope when the aliens who finally visit earth and claim advanced intelligence as their reasoning for eating humans, he's the first to land on their dinner plate. I just hope he's "humanely" killed, you know, a quick slashing of the throat so those aliens could sleep well at night.

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.