Finished TMF and Unscripted some weeks ago. Thought of some ideas and (field) researched them a bit. Nothing solid though.
In the meantime my focus at work has suffered. I'm not putting in my full 100%. Which is somewhat to be expected I guess. But doing a sub par job is causing me stress (not being on the ball is causing a back up and a feeling of lack of control). And spreading my attention too thin (between work, searching a business idea, social life) is making me feel constantly overwhelmed, trying to keep track of all the balls I'm juggling.
This week I started thinking this:
Maybe it's better to just fully focus on my job. This way I regain focus. Continue to build skills, reputation and a network. Then I can uncover opportunities in the space and start selling some of those skills. All while being paid for it and thus keeping everything afloat.
Background: Studied psychology. Then started working at a big venue (cafe/restaurant/bar/night spot) in town. First year: Bartender. Second year: Team leader. Third year (now): Senior management, focusing on marketing (social media management, publications) and events (booking/organizing).
I'm content with hospitality as a field. Looking to shift to the health side of the spectrum if I can (think vegan or juice companies vs. night clubs), just to have a positive and conducive environment that fits my personal values right now.
Does all of this make sense? Or am I just justifying staying in my comfort zone? This plan feels a bit like I'm postponing entrepreneurship, or is this just what MJ calls process? Would really appreciate some external input from people whose opinion I respect.
In the meantime my focus at work has suffered. I'm not putting in my full 100%. Which is somewhat to be expected I guess. But doing a sub par job is causing me stress (not being on the ball is causing a back up and a feeling of lack of control). And spreading my attention too thin (between work, searching a business idea, social life) is making me feel constantly overwhelmed, trying to keep track of all the balls I'm juggling.
This week I started thinking this:
Maybe it's better to just fully focus on my job. This way I regain focus. Continue to build skills, reputation and a network. Then I can uncover opportunities in the space and start selling some of those skills. All while being paid for it and thus keeping everything afloat.
Background: Studied psychology. Then started working at a big venue (cafe/restaurant/bar/night spot) in town. First year: Bartender. Second year: Team leader. Third year (now): Senior management, focusing on marketing (social media management, publications) and events (booking/organizing).
I'm content with hospitality as a field. Looking to shift to the health side of the spectrum if I can (think vegan or juice companies vs. night clubs), just to have a positive and conducive environment that fits my personal values right now.
Does all of this make sense? Or am I just justifying staying in my comfort zone? This plan feels a bit like I'm postponing entrepreneurship, or is this just what MJ calls process? Would really appreciate some external input from people whose opinion I respect.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
