The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Copy / Steal Ideas

Idea threads

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
What's up Fastlaners! I'm pretty new here on this forum and it's my first created thread. I appreciate all the feedback and advice from everyone. It's a great feeling to be able to communicate with like minded people but with different roads and pursuits. I'm 24 recent engineer graduate that don't want to rely on a job because I can't stand not having control of my freedom and time. So I want to use my college education and education after college (life education) to solve needs. Majority of students in my field in my age range just want jobs for there whole life. But I want to have businesses and solve problems with the knowledge and mindset I have. But back to the topic

I have found a need in the medical industry that I found by reading reviews about this piece of technology that can be used in the industry. One person was throwing around different ideas that can be used with the technology around on the reviews that gave me an idea of innovating off of it. I also have a few people that I can get quick assistance with it immediately and take action. There's a quote by Piccasso that says " great artists copy but great artists steal". How do you guys/gals feel about that quote as well as me approaching the process of the getting the idea that's not used in the world yet but innovating off of someones idea which they haven't took action on it probably because they just were throwing around ideas. Ideas are only 1% and the process is 99%. MJ and many fastlaners on this forum stress this important concept alot.

I just would appreciate the advice and feedback from you peeps :happy:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Yeah it's fine, go for it.
Ideas aren't worth anything.

The person that thought of that brilliant idea?
They're not the first.
Often times ideas develop independently at the same time.
There's probably a dozen+ people out there with the exact same idea.

But they're not going to do anything with it except bitch when YOU do something with it.
you're totally morally in the clear.
Don't drag your feet on it though.

Those other people I mentioned with the idea might have a bright friend like you willing to take action.

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
Agree with @DennisDuty

Ideas aren't worth shit. Implementation and process are.

Did Apple invent the phone? No, but they sure as hell made it better.

Generally speaking, ideas come from other ideas. I think most entrepreneurs look at other products and figure out ways to improve them.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Did he copyright the idea? Did he patent the idea?

If not, then go for it. Especially if he posted it on a public forum.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Did he copyright the idea? Did he patent the idea?

If not, then go for it. Especially if he posted it on a public forum.
If he patented it, get the patent, study it, improve it, and register your own.

Think about licensing rather than mfg & marketing too. Check out Vigilante's "licensing game" thread.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Emulate best practices. Don't steal anything. Erase the word steal from your vocabulary.

Sam Walton did not create mass market retail. He simply emulated K-Mart's best practices, but did not repeat their mistakes.

If you study copywriting and make a kick a$$ sales page based on what you learned, that is emulation. If you go to a web page, take the code, and cut and paste it to your "own" sales page, that's stealing.

You can become great without stealing anything.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
Yeah I see where you guys coming from. What I'm doing is kind of similar but with a different application basically. I guess you can say that im innovating.

"Innovate" could be another word that @Vigilante concept was just describing.

Emulation/innovation is actually powerful tool that can probably make a difference in staying in the game of being a successful entrepreneur and running out of business due to competion, not innovating, etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
Yeah it's fine, go for it.
Ideas aren't worth anything.

The person that thought of that brilliant idea?
They're not the first.
Often times ideas develop independently at the same time.
There's probably a dozen+ people out there with the exact same idea.

But they're not going to do anything with it except bitch when YOU do something with it.
you're totally morally in the clear.
Don't drag your feet on it though.

Those other people I mentioned with the idea might have a bright friend like you willing to take action.

Yeah people do complain alot about having ideas that they are not embracing the opportunity and taking action. It's pointless to complain when you just sitting watching tv all day everyday lol

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
What Vigilante said is what I agree.

In fact, there is a very direct and entertaining book on the subject called "Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative". It is available for Kindle.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
What Vigilante said is what I agree.

In fact, there is a very direct and entertaining book on the subject called "Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative". It is available for Kindle.

Thanks for the reference to the book! I just read the summary on amazon and it seems like a great book. I'm going to get it. It's saying using the ability to collect ideas and remixing the ideas can create something else that can take it to a different and deeper level. Innovation and other words related to it is the real deal :rockon:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.