The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Convincing Parents

Anything related to matters of the mind

StepBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 4, 2023
USA
Hi all, when I used to talk to my parents about my future and what I want to try to do they usually shut down the idea and say the conventional go to college get a safe job etc and I would try to say why I want to do for a career is a good idea. I did stopped talking about them with it for the past month since as much as I argue I am not getting anywhere with it. I have been taking actions talking to people who work in the fields and getting part time jobs that teach me skills and did have a business this summer. My parents have scheduled college visits, trying to get me to go to college fairs, and so on. I don't just want to say F*ck you to them and have a bad relationship with them but I can't see a way where I do what I want with my career and they are happy. (What I've been working towards is corrections and military reserves and with the money from that start buying properties and renting them out). I am just lost and have no ideas on how to handle the situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Hi all, when I used to talk to my parents about my future and what I want to try to do they usually shut down the idea and say the conventional go to college get a safe job etc and I would try to say why I want to do for a career is a good idea. I did stopped talking about them with it for the past month since as much as I argue I am not getting anywhere with it. I have been taking actions talking to people who work in the fields and getting part time jobs that teach me skills and did have a business this summer. My parents have scheduled college visits, trying to get me to go to college fairs, and so on. I don't just want to say F*ck you to them and have a bad relationship with them but I can't see a way where I do what I want with my career and they are happy. (What I've been working towards is corrections and military reserves and with the money from that start buying properties and renting them out). I am just lost and have no ideas on how to handle the situation.
You can polite tell them about your idea and see what happens

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Can you at least make a little tiny profit from a business/freelance? Something that you don't have a boss to answer.

Then show it to your parents as a way to convince them.

Or the alternative is to start a side hustle in college. You can ask money from your parents. Just say it's for your studies. Use it to fund your side hustle.

Considering the way you write, however I think you do need college. Making your sentences into a paragraph for sure doesn't need college. But, who knows in future you might send a business proposal, or making guidelines for employees, writing emails to prospective clients etc.

Overall, I wish you good luck. And I leave you with this quote:

Let's say you're miserable and unhappy. Here's a cure. Find what's valuable and let it go. So maybe we can say maybe relationship thing. Maybe it's a relationship with your parents. —Jordan Peterson​

chknlady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 25, 2022
It's not easy wanting to go down a different path than your parents. My advice is to keep talking to parents, adult to adult. Take the emotion out of it, and present the facts. You may have to make some difficult decisions based on what you want to do with your life. Don't incur the debt of college (you or parents) if you don't want to be there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.