The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Control your thoughts

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing good.
Here is the situation: I want to change my thoughts. I want advices as per your experience and book recommendations if you have any.
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing good.
Here is the situation: I want to change my thoughts. I want advices as per your experience and book recommendations if you have any.
Thanks
Man...this is EXACTLY where I was years ago, so I really relate.
I wasn't able to control my wandering mind...and it liked to wander to all the wrong places.

For me, it was a massive, automatic problem that was affecting everything. So much so that I've gone down so many rabbit holes, changed my psyche and learned so much, that I am fascinated by it - I'm building my business out of everything I've learned.

For you, well I don't know you. If you share more details you can get more specific advice. But for now I'll suggest you start where I started: meditation. Just trust me and start. Make it a habit. If you want to literally change how your mind is working then meditation is where you come face to face with it.

You can try to overwrite it in certain scenarios but eventually those deep beliefs and our past experiences that drive our thoughts will eventually bubble back up...and then you're back to square one.

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
Man...this is EXACTLY where I was years ago, so I really relate.
I wasn't able to control my wandering mind...and it liked to wander to all the wrong places.

For me, it was a massive, automatic problem that was affecting everything. So much so that I've gone down so many rabbit holes, changed my psyche and learned so much, that I am fascinated by it - I'm building my business out of everything I've learned.

For you, well I don't know you. If you share more details you can get more specific advice. But for now I'll suggest you start where I started: meditation. Just trust me and start. Make it a habit. If you want to literally change how your mind is working then meditation is where you come face to face with it.

You can try to overwrite it in certain scenarios but eventually those deep beliefs and our past experiences that drive our thoughts will eventually bubble back up...and then you're back to square one.
Thank you for your time.
I practice mindfulness meditation every day. It helps me boost my mood and stay more relaxed, but my thinking stays the same.
Here is an example:
-Thought number 1: I eat food for satisfaction.
-Thought number 2: I eat food for energy.
Thought number 1 is ingrained in my subconscious. What I want to do is that I want to make Thought number 2 be ingrained in my subconscious, overwriting Thought number 1. Now, the result is: Instead of me eating for satisfaction, I eat for energy as this is what my thought is, this is how I am programmed.

Another example:
-Thought number 1: I cannot win big.
-Thought number 2: I win big.
Thought number 1 is the thought which is currently in my subconscious. I want to input Thought number 2 in my subconscious to overwrite Thought number 1.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Contrary to the title of your thread, it’s not possible to control your thoughts, in fact it’s not even desireable.

Much of your thinking is automatic, simply a reaction to your environment, a selection and processing of relevant information that may be useful for you.

You CAN however develop focus, for example. That is the ability to stay concentrated on one stimuli, without getting distracted by other thoughts or stimuli.

That is what you learn through mindfulness. But as you correctly noticed, mindfulness does NOT change your thoughts.

Now it sounds like one of the things you lack is confidence. Confidence is developed through experience. If you’ve never bench pressed anything, you won’t be confident you can bench press 100kg. Nor should you be confident, because you lack experience.

So you’re never going to feel confident until you gain experience and get good at whatever task you’re dealing with. There is no way to skip the hard work and endurance of tough emotions and get the confidence. The confidence isn’t there at the beginning, it’s the end result of learning a new skill.

I’m confident that I can grow digital agencies. Why? Because I’ve done it for myself and many many other people. The confidence isn’t a result of my mindset or other bullshit, it’s a result of my experience. The first time I did it, I wasn’t confident.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I agree with @Black_Dragon43 and @RayAndré here. Thinking is automated with your current beliefs and biases. You can't control your thoughts as they are affected by your environment e.g. the people around you, the friends you have, the social media you consume, etc.

What you can do however is to develop habits that are positive and good. Meditation is a great example and a habit that you're doing right now, it increases focus and mindfulness but it doesnt really help you CONTROL your thoughts. Workout often as working out does wonders to your mind too. Increases confidence, mental capacity, critical thought etc.

I suggest asking yourself if the environment that you're in is affecting you? Any friends that share the same thoughts as you?

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Sadly, my environment is bad for sucess. I am not able to move to another location due to lack of money.
Thanks for the reply.
That's not what I mean when I say environment, it's not only the physical places, it can be the people around you too. Elaborate more, what do you mean by your environment is bad for success? Are people being too pessimistic towards life? Are the sun not shining enough? Be a little more specific

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
No, the weather is fine. It is about the people. They are 'jealous'. They do things to prevent me from doing my things. They are bad influence. They want me to have a low-status life.
How are they doing that? Do you have any examples? How are they preventing you? How do you now they want you to have a low status in life?

Are the people physically stopping you to pursue your dreams? Is it your parents? Coworkers? Friends?

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
One thing I DO want to say though - is YES you CAN change the automatic thoughts.

Automatic (negative) thoughts come from old beliefs formed at early ages, mental habits that we thought over and over and over again (for any reason).

And I think, NO you shouldn't live with your mind this way.
I did for along time, until I decided enough was enough. An uncontrollable negative mind is one of the worst most crippling things.
I'm grateful to say I've done the work enough to have changed my internal script.

You CAN change it - BUT, like both @Black_Dragon43 and @Lawtiti mentioned, "mindfulness" meditation will not change your thoughts. You need a better tool than "mindfulness" for that.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Why does the Prime Minister care enough about you to actively try to sabotage your life?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.