The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Control > ENTS

A post of a ranting nature...

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
a Twitter tool making $1M+ ARR was recently shut off overnight by their API overlord:

4B6MGUw.jpg

Access has since been restored, but this serves as yet another reminder to never have your business lie solely in the hands of any:
- API
- License agreement
- Affiliate merchant
- eCommerce platform/vendor
- Third-party distributor

Control is the foundation you build your empire on. Don't leave it on sand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
If we were to pick 1 commandment to rule them all, it would be NEED.

No control, weak entry, bad scale, time dependent can still be profitable, at least in the short run. Wouldn't recommend trying this experiment though.

But without NEED, there are no sales, which means no business.

This is the most important commandment, the heart of any business, and the first thing entrepreneurs should focus on when looking for new opportunities. Everything else can be adjusted.

Edit:

As for the commandment of CONTROL, it's not an on/off switch. But rather a spectrum. The only question is how much risk are you willing to take in exchange for convenience and/or extra profit.

In the modern economy you will always have to rely on third parties to some extent (manufacturers, suppliers, logistics, payment processors, search engines etc.), unless you're a multi billion dollar corporation that controls the entire ecosystem / supply chain.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
a Twitter tool making $1M+ ARR was recently shut off overnight by their API overlord:

4B6MGUw.jpg

Access has since been restored, but this serves as yet another reminder to never have your business lie solely in the hands of any:
- API
- License agreement
- Affiliate merchant
- eCommerce platform/vendor
- Third-party distributor

Control is the foundation you build your empire on. Don't leave it on sand.
There is no real control. As @BizyDad said it’s a gradation. But you never have full control. If the government doesn’t like you, they put a lock on your business and take you to jail. And that’s more or less true, even in democracies.

You will always be dependent upon other people and other businesses. If you’re an industrial manufcaturer, there wl be key components you need for what you produce. If there’s only a few suppliers in the world for what you need, they hold you in the palm of their hand.

And so on. You only ever have the illusion of control. But yes, some business offer greater control than others!

Edit: @heavy_industry you gotta change that pfp ffs, I confused you woth Bizy

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

No control, weak entry, bad scale, time dependent can still be profitable, at least in the short run. Wouldn't recommend trying this experiment though.

This is the most important commandment, the heart of any business, and the first thing entrepreneurs should focus on when looking for new opportunities. Everything else can be adjusted.

Edit:

As for the commandment of CONTROL, it's not an on/off switch. But rather a spectrum. The only question is how much risk are you willing to take in exchange for convenience and/or extra profit.

In the modern economy you will always have to rely on third parties to some extent (manufacturers, suppliers, logistics, payment processors, search engines etc.), unless you're a multi billion dollar corporation that controls the entire ecosystem / supply chain.
There is no real control. As @BizyDad said it’s a gradation. But you never have full control. If the government doesn’t like you, they put a lock on your business and take you to jail. And that’s more or less true, even in democracies.

You will always be dependent upon other people and other businesses. If you’re an industrial manufcaturer, there wl be key components you need for what you produce. If there’s only a few suppliers in the world for what you need, they hold you in the palm of their hand.

And so on. You only ever have the illusion of control. But yes, some business offer greater control than others!
Hey @heavy_industry we somehow fooled 2 in one day. :rofl:

Guys, I'm the light bulb, he's the gearhead. Seems like everyone only looks at our "assets".

thats-right-thats-correct (1).gif

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Guys, I'm the light bulb, he's the gearhead. Seems like everyone only looks at our "assets".
I usually differentiate you guys because of your bios.
If: Mentions Bizydad = Heavy Industry
Mentions Heavy Industry = Bizydad

Anyway, I think all commandments are equally as important for running a successful business; there's no hierarchy.
If you have all but no Control, how do you expect your platform to be truly yours? (and thus, receive the profits?)
If you have all but no Entry, how do you expect your platform to shock the market? (and thus, sell?)
If you have all but no Need, how do you expect to sell?
If you have all but no Time, how do you expect to not have a job? (and thus, lose out on the time to use your money?)
If you have all but no Scale, how do you expect to make millions?

There IS no most important commandment. They all should be followed. But you do make a great point about Control being a spectrum. I think it's what commands urgency in having a liquidation event at some point in the lifecycle of your business. That, and maybe Need, as time changes.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Hey @heavy_industry we somehow fooled 2 in one day. :rofl:
I think this is the first time we've got 2 in a single day. :smile:

I might create a list of users tricked thus far.

I usually differentiate you guys because of your bios.
If: Mentions Bizydad = Heavy Industry
Mentions Heavy Industry = Bizydad
That's some out of the box thinking :rofl:

Guys, I'm the light bulb, he's the gearhead.

I considered in the past creating some new pictures with a bigger lightbulb / industrial gear.

Will send you a message later. ;)

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Hence why I used the word "solely" in the original post, and used the example where the business in question was 100% reliant on an external factor.

It goes without saying you will never have full control, that's why you mitigate your risks with diversification/backup options.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Successful business > getting @BizyDad & @heavy_industry right.

More commandments met > fewer commandments met.

Healthy & Wealthy > poor & unhealthy

Captain obvious award goes to…

Yup.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
All of the commandments are a spectrum, and you can improve all of them in your business as you grow. You can treat them similar to other metrics you may look at like churn or cpa.

Control: as you grow start to build your own platforms and infrastructure, grow an email list so you own the customers etc. eg. An Amazon business that starts collecting email addresses and selling on its own store.

Entry: pull the ladder up as you go. Eg Maybe you start dropshipping with a generic product, no brand and one product. As you make money you invest that in a custom product, add other products to increase ltv, and get a nice brand built. Now even though your entry was dropshipping, someone who wants to compete would now need to invest in brand custom product etc to compete with you, rather than just stealing your ads and dropship the same thing as you.

Need: creating a need is hard but you can educate a market over time to create more demand

Time: maybe you start out doing all the work yourself, as it grows you hire people

Scale: maybe you start out local then franchise or expand globally. Maybe you start out selling $500 websites, get better and then start selling $50,000 websites (impact)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Edit:

I like your post a lot, but disagree.

I NEED air (water, sleep)… You have no control over air that I get for free. You have no business.

@MitchC is right, it’s both a matter of spectrum & all commandments are important, none rule others. As businesses progress, they accumulate more on each of commandments.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Successful business > getting @BizyDad & @heavy_industry right.

More commandments met > fewer commandments met.

Healthy & Wealthy > poor & unhealthy

Captain obvious award goes to…

Yup.

image (1).png

Receive > Asking

or is it

Asking > Receiving

maybe

Asking = Receiving

I don't know where we are on the spectrum now, but making this image was fun

You have no control over air that I get for free. You have no business.

Furiously writing in my idea journal...

AIR! Learn to control AIR!

Pros
Big need.
Yuge need.
No competition.
Big market.

Cons
No control (yet)
No entry (yet)
No delivery system.

Wait... Bottled Air is already a thing...

The business model for bottled water already exists. Maybe I could do flavored air? Alkaline air? Mountain spring air? Caffeinated air?

Ok, just need to convince people living in polluted cities to use my air instead. Maybe I can start by making masks fashionable. Hmm. That might be a non-starter.

Maybe start by targeting vapers.

Possible company name/tagline.

Vapers. Use Vapors

I think there's potential here. Tanks will need to be refilled, so bonus! Built in recurring revenue.

Make people schedule service appointments too.

Have little tanks of air at convenience stores and charge 5x what they're worth.

So many revenue streams.

I don't know how you do it @Antifragile these good ideas just pour out of you even when you aren't trying. You, my friend, have a gift.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
They’re all important. Every. Single. One.

Stop trying to make this “easier” by choosing favorites or letting some slide.

In the long run adhering to them ALL will make your career in entrepreneurship “easier.”

CENTS might be the easiest way to define proper entrepreneurship ever devised.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
View attachment 48328

Receive > Asking

or is it

Asking > Receiving

maybe

Asking = Receiving

Pros
Big need.
Yuge need.
No competition.
Big market.

Cons
No control (yet)
No entry (yet)
No delivery system.

The business model for bottled water already exists. Maybe I could do flavored air? Alkaline air? Mountain spring air? Caffeinated air?

Ok, just need to convince people living in polluted cities to use my air instead. Maybe I can start by making masks fashionable. Hmm. That might be a non-starter.

Vapers. Use Vapors

I think there's potential here. Tanks will need to be refilled, so bonus! Built in recurring revenue.

Have little tanks of air at convenience stores and charge 5x what they're worth.

So many revenue streams.

I don't know how you do it @Antifragile these good ideas just pour out of you even when you aren't trying. You, my friend, have a gift.
Bizy …
Get people in a room, like a party. Suck air out and charge for opening a window! Instant millionaire!

The prison sentence after is a bit of a bummer…

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
View attachment 48328

Receive > Asking

or is it

Asking > Receiving

maybe

Asking = Receiving

Pros
Big need.
Yuge need.
No competition.
Big market.

Cons
No control (yet)
No entry (yet)
No delivery system.

Vapers. Use Vapors

So many revenue streams.

I don’t understand what that picture is but it should be your profile picture

Bizy …
Get people in a room, like a party. Suck air out and charge for opening a window! Instant millionaire!

Those pesky ethics interfering with our get rich quick methods again

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Furiously writes in idea journal...

Prison evasion service?

Talk about identifying a pain point!! Striking gold again AF.

Hey mods, can we move this thread to the speedway? This is getting good. Lolololol.

Those pesky ethics interfering with our get rich quick methods again

Fill the party room with evil rich people, especially the get rich quick kind, and they will need my air service and prison evasion service.

Mental note, must discuss further with BD43.

Win win! Fortune favors the prepared...

Thanks for idea.

I don’t understand what that picture is but it should be your profile picture

View: https://youtu.be/Am3FjwsNqXc

There's a whole series of commercials with this guy...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.