The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Consumerism Rant

Anything related to matters of the mind

bbar97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I chose the one that seemed the most relevant.

So I just want to point out/rant about some aspects of consumerism. Some of these are pretty big pet peeves of mine and I was curious if others have the same opinion.

First, deceptive product advertising. A lot of people (especially sidewalkers) don't think about things like this, but things like the fact that juices are sold as "100% juice" when really water is added to them bother me. (Just a simple example) Or, when products say "real x flavoring" Does that mean that x is actually used in flavoring it, or just that it tastes like its real?
Also, car commercials are atrocious. "YOU CAN GET ANY NICER NEWER CAR FOR ONLY XXX DOWN!" Like seriously? Is america really at the point where the actual price of the car doesn't matter, only the montly payments? No wonder we have so much debt.
The whole idea of credit card debt? There are very few situations in which you should ever have standing credit card debt. Thats like reverse investing. Even before I started reading unscripted I was bothered by this stuff. Does anyone know why more people don't realize spending more than you make isn't the way to live? I just don't get it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The debt industry is one of the most lucrative industries in our economy.

It means you can have something you cannot afford by lying to yourself that you can afford to make the monthly payment.(Instant gratification or an event)

We live in a world were its better to LOOK hip and successful than to actually be.

I stopped being materialistic when I realized the most important things CANNOT be seen. And I really didn't want to base my self-esteem on something external cause cars get old and "stuff" get replaced every damn year.

I guess its cause people think they won't be accepted or admired without anything luxury in their ownership but as you get wiser you will see that people judge you more based on who you are as a person. Again back to the idea that the best ownership you can have is internal qualities.

Your number one goal in pursuit of freedom should be to overhaul your mind so you can think and act in a manner that most business people can't. Not finance a 3 series BMW while working at walmart.

meridian_blue

Eternal Student
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Jun 11, 2017
Texas, United States
A lot of these problems really stem from two issues. The first is that people, consciously or subconsciously still believe that happiness can be bought through things. The second is a lack of proper financial education.

As for the first, a lot of advertising is really just appealing to people's most base tribal instincts. 'Increase your physical/sexual attractiveness through this product!' or 'You will reach the top of your tribal hierarchy by displaying this luxury car!'. Subconsciously, this is why people buy these products and even though advertisers don't explicitly express these mottos it's ultimately what they are selling, and the core reason people buy.

As for financial education, you really need to look at the system. Even well-educated people are tied to SCRIPTED, Slowlane beliefs. The situation is even worse for uneducated people. People don't realize how damning credit card debt can be, or can't extrapolate from "Lease for $500 a month!" into "This is a massive loan with an atrocious interest rate that will impact my future".

It is a difficult system we live in...

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Nothing is the same when you have shifted your mindset from consumer to producer. When I see ads, I try to learn from them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And that's why they're called "the 99%"

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Nothing is the same when you have shifted your mindset from consumer to producer. When I see ads, I try to learn from them.

I've also found that applying a productocratic mindset to said ads provides immediate opportunity for perfecting a product/service, since the lies in the ads automatically gives way for how and why a better product with the real deal and real benefits can be established.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A very wise and successful man once told me this...

“There are people who make real money and people who spend real money, it’s very rare to find someone who does both”

It stuck with me.

To me it alludes to the fact that those of us who were there for the sacrifice mature out of wanting to blow money, instead, protecting and or growing what we have built. The average American would kill the golden goose for a quick thrill.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
... Does anyone know why more people don't realize spending more than you make isn't the way to live? I just don't get it.
I guess that all those years and years of intense cultural programing hasn't worked very well on you... What? You don't blindly believe what the ads say? You don't want to keep up with the Jones'? How can you fit in with the beautiful people? No one will want to hang out with you IF you don't buy or use _____. What's wrong with you? You are so out of step with everyone else. Shame on you for NOT being properly trained! You could be drowning in debt to make your proper contribution to our consumer society! And blaw, blaw, blaw...

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
Yup, just last night met a guy who financed exhaust pipes for his financed Harley. Meanwhile I have a 10 year old bike that is cheaper then his pipes paid in cash. We both make around the same income.

bbar97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
Yup, just last night met a guy who financed exhaust pipes for his financed Harley. Meanwhile I have a 10 year old bike that is cheaper then his pipes paid in cash. We both make around the same income.

That's ridiculous. Like other people have been saying, we're in a culture of immediate gratification, we want things now and don't want to work or wait for them. Thankfully I've been blessed to have awesome parents who raised me right. I was taught that things are much more satisfying when you wait or work hard for them. I wish more sidewalkers would read Unscripted but ironically it's probably mostly people who want to be fastlaners that read it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
After that 4 years or so, when you are getting another new car, would you be happier you picked a nice sensible car or a car that impressed people and wasted what you earned?

Not too long ago I saved up my first $10k. Maybe not impressive but I felt like a baller:rofl:.

My buddy offered me for sale his 2011 BMW X6(depreciated;)). It was nice for sure and I have never owned a car that would make me feel like hot shit:happy:.

But I was definitely at a crossroad cause I had a choice to: Put all my savings in a car or invest it in a hustle?

Once you have money saved up its definitely tempting to buy "stuff".

But I realized money saved up, even if its not "a lot" it represents something.

It represents an "edge" a "competitive advantage" a "potentiality of capital".

In other words it puts you in a position to MAKE more money. It's easier to turn $10k into $100k than it is to turn $47.87 into $100k all things equal.

That money saved up means you can pursue your dream rather than constantly pursuing your next pay check at a job you hate.

Long story short I kept my 200k miles SUV.

Delay consumerism until you get an entrepreneurial income going then buy stuff you can actually afford.

I mean think about it. Most americans can't even save up $1,000 cause they are drowning in payments. Save a few bucks and see if that can grow into an income.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Today he's one of those totally cool people who have it all. In the end, he'll be bitching about not getting enough in his monthly social security deposit to live on -- IF social security is still around then...

D

Deleted52409

but things like the fact that juices are sold as "100% juice" when really water is added to them bother me. (Just a simple example) Or, when products say "real x flavoring" Does that mean that x is actually used in flavoring it, or just that it tastes like its real?

I'm very concerned about this issue myself. I highly recommend every american here research about what actually gets put into our food. I would even go as far as making the assumption that the food your average american eats is very negatively impacting his (consumerist) decision making capabilities. You eat bad, you feel bad, right?

RANDOM ARTICLE I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:
Does America Have the Worst Food Quality & Safety?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.