The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Competitive Advantage

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Practically every product on Alibaba is listed on Amazon and eBay at more or less that same price, or at 10% or less profit margins.

I don't understand how you're able to succeed with importing, especially with the delivery costs that stack up.

And even if you find a goldmine, won't it be short-lived once others catch on and see the opportunity? How are you supposed to build a real, sellable business in such an environment with such low barriers to entry?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Its also getting easier for factories to sell directly on amazon and ebay and skip the importer/reseller.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Some of the companies you find on Alibaba will offer customized versions of their existing product.

Also branding is huge. There are multiple listings of the exact same product all over Amazon. The difference between them are the names, descriptions, and pictures. To most consumers, although the product looks EXACTLY the same, they seem different because they have two different names and descriptions.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
There are always products you can find with demand and a great margin.

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Some of the companies you find on Alibaba will offer customized versions of their existing product.

Also branding is huge. There are multiple listings of the exact same product all over Amazon. The difference between them are the names, descriptions, and pictures. To most consumers, although the product looks EXACTLY the same, they seem different because they have two different names and descriptions.

Thanks, I'm looking into this... sounds like a good idea, though I'm thinking you'll need more than just a logo to differentiate yourself. Still, this is something I'm going to think about. I just watched StartupBros' video on importing.

There are always products you can find with demand and a great margin.

You obviously didn't read all of my post...

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Yep. And for a quick example, look up "Safety Razor Stand" on amazon.

There are about 3-4 listings on the first page that are the exact same product. The difference between them (outside of pricing, although they're all priced pretty similarly) are the names and descriptions.

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks. If I'm going to embark on anything, I want to build something that's sellable and not have to go from product to product, trend to trend. I was actually considering starting a preppy clothing brand, but maybe that'd be too risky... ultimately I've had a bad history selling products that turned out to be illegal in the UK (dental whitening products) and so now I HAVE to avoid using Amazon/eBay etc. as I pretty much have a lifetime ban (a little silly, but there you go).

So I need something to build a brand around, with my own store and so on. The benefit of clothing is the high margin potential, high brand potential and the limited regulations (not edible, no substances, etc.) BUT I bet a LOT of clothing brands never gain traction... should I choose something lower-risk or go for it?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Use alibaba to determine a manufacturers ability to manufacture what you are looking for. Don't sell off the shelf stuff!

QLADisciple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 5, 2014
If I were to build my own clothing brand, absolutely it would all be custom and quality... I just don't know whether I should go for a clothing brand, or just choose another product and brand it... I've always had an idea for a quality clothing brand capturing a certain market, but concerned about the risks associated with fashion companies. It wouldn't be crazy innovative, more of a classic, "preppy" brand, but still. Undecided! Does anyone here have any experience in fashion?

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
IMHO, ebay is missing out on huge growth by not enabling product specific feedback like Amazon does. It is the lynch pin of credibility to have verified buyers rating and giving feedback on products. There is a WEALTH of information on all that Amazon product feedback that could be used to make improvements to existing products. Ebay is still stuck in generic vendor feedback which has some value showing the reputation of a seller. But little or no product feedback. Decent sellers can sell some crap products. Especially now that manufacturers and reps overseas are selling direct.

I rarely buy anything, especially of value from ebay because there is really not a consumer friendly cost effective way for customer service/returns, especially for the influx of overseas direct sellers. Simply providing feedback would slash the riff raff and crap on ebay and bring many more loyal buyers. Maybe there is an API and application opportunity to provide this.

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
If I were to build my own clothing brand, absolutely it would all be custom and quality... I just don't know whether I should go for a clothing brand, or just choose another product and brand it... I've always had an idea for a quality clothing brand capturing a certain market, but concerned about the risks associated with fashion companies. It wouldn't be crazy innovative, more of a classic, "preppy" brand, but still. Undecided! Does anyone here have any experience in fashion?

They are a few people on this forum trying to start a clothing company - 1) https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-f-startup-3-fend-streetwear-clothing.44359/ 2) https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/help-with-clothing-manufacturing.49758/. Maybe you might want to get in touch with them.

Also, check out books by Daymond_John (founder of FUBU) and Marc Milecofsky (founder of Ecko Unltd) to see how they hustled and got their brand off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Believe it or not there are manufacturers who refuse to sell directly to Amazon, and also strictly enforce MAP. These are the brands you should go after.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Any schmuck can order a manufacturer's standard products on alibaba easily. Buying those products is a surefire way to either make little to nothing or get stuck with product. Raise the bar by innovating, customizing, branding, etc. Work a little harder.

Like @Kak said, basically just use that site to source manufacturers. The barriers to entry with any business (in your case importing/ecomm) are not standard across the board. Executing things better (i.e. raising the bar) also raises the barriers to entry for people who want to have a chance competing with you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you go read the china travel thread I started I go into this a little dealer. How to find manufacturers etc...

It doesn't require Chinese travel, but it does require a keen eye.

At the very least you need to be private labeling. I still recommend physical changes in the design specific to your brand. I would also make sure your manufacturer will play ball and not sell your new design to other buyers. This doesn't need to be groundbreaking shit that requires prototypes etc, it just needs to be unique to your company.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
If I were to build my own clothing brand, absolutely it would all be custom and quality...

Its hard... very hard to bootstrap with clothing. You need a tonn of cash to start. Like 50k+. MOQ are high, quality is hard to get and have to get lots of samples. Dont bother unless its your passion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.