The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College Dilemma

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Guys, lately I've faced a pretty tough dilemma, I'd really appreciate any help and advice.
A year and a half ago I got accepted into a very good university and a very prestigious program, out of the thousands that apply only 100 get accepted each year, it's basically a program that awards two degrees; B.Sc in Economics and B.B.A in Accounting, the workload is unreal and also it's very stressful and leaves very little time for anything.
So far I've paid for everything and been living on my savings but it's running out very rapidly and I don't want my parents to pay for my education because I have 2 sisters and 1 brother that are probably attending college which may make it very hard on my parents, the problem is that there's absolutely no time for finding a job even part-time, plus I always wanted to start my first business while in college, so that leaves me with the question, do you think I should give one of the degrees (been considering giving up accounting, I did for the knowledge I could gain about finance, I don't wanna be a CPA, but I can take some accounting courses if I took Economics only), which would leave me more time for working\starting a business and paying my education, or should I just go on with what I'm doing let my parents pay for my education for the sake of more future (J.O.B.) opportunities given the additional major?
Any insight is really appreciated, thank you in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
If this helps any...

I took 2 majors in college. Accounting was one of them. Most of what I learned in the accounting classes I've forgotten by now. I mean you pick up certain things you remember, but for the most part unless you're going to be an accountant a lot of what you'll remember as important you don't need to have a major to learn them. Take some accounting classes as electives while doing 1 major, then you get to pick the accounting things you'd like to pick up. Doing things like auditing classes, etc... just because I had to take them felt like a big waste of time for me towards the end since I knew I wasn't going to be an accountant, so having 2 majors on my resume since I knew I'd probably end up working for myself didn't really matter.

werbl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
May 3, 2008
Racine, WI
I really like Snowbank's reply. To add to that though, you might want to at least consider borrowing some money from your parents. It sure could make things a lot easier and take a little stress off your shoulders. Then, once you're able - once you get a business up and running or you graduate / get a job, pay them back and then some. Of course this depends on the ages of your siblings. If they're looking to go to college as well within the next few years, borrowing money now might not be the best idea.

One of my best friends was in a similar situation. He was attending an expensive private school and wasn't receiving any financial help. He decided to go to school full time and work 40 hours per week. He managed to pull it off his first 2 years, but then his grades started to suffer and he just became mentally burned out. After some consideration he decided to take a year off school to concentrate on work and saving money. This ended up being a much better option for him. For his last year or so he can now concentrate fully on academics, with a lot less stress.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
Two questions for you to consider:

1. Ultimately, which route do you want to be on: the entrepreneur route or the employment route? Not a rhetorical question, it is an honest question that you should think long and hard about.

2. Which of these majors do you think will be THE MOST useful to you in whatever career steps you take? Do you think you absolutely need both of them? Are you interested in both of them? Or are you only trying to make yourself more marketable to prospective employers. If the latter is the case, accounting alone is a great major to have as far as future job possibilities.

I took two majors as well...are you gunning for a four year graduation? Maybe it would be easier for you to take a little bit more time to graduate. You'll be able to have more time to get a job or build a business.

Regardless, you should probably seek some form of help from your parents to make it easier on you.

Hope that helped, good luck! :)

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
werbl and snowbank, thank you so much for the response, I appreciate that.

Two questions for you to consider:

1. Ultimately, which route do you want to be on: the entrepreneur route or the employment route? Not a rhetorical question, it is an honest question that you should think long and hard about.

2. Which of these majors do you think will be THE MOST useful to you in whatever career steps you take? Do you think you absolutely need both of them? Are you interested in both of them? Or are you only trying to make yourself more marketable to prospective employers. If the latter is the case, accounting alone is a great major to have as far as future job possibilities.

I took two majors as well...are you gunning for a four year graduation? Maybe it would be easier for you to take a little bit more time to graduate. You'll be able to have more time to get a job or build a business.

Regardless, you should probably seek some form of help from your parents to make it easier on you.

Hope that helped, good luck! :)

Thank for taking the time to answer.
I pretty much like to think that I'd end up being an entrepreneur, I sure wanna go down this route than the job-until-retirement.
I found myself enjoying Economics more than Accounting, however as I said I took accounting for the knowledge it would provide about analyzing numbers and financial statements, I realized I don't need to go school for a couple of years to learn that (btw, this program is a 3-year-degree, only 4-year degrees we have in Israel is Engineering and Law, but you are not allowed to stretch it more than 3 years under any circumstances, stupid rules I know) and I really have no interest to be an accountant.
I don't really have a problem with my parents helping me with my education, but the less they help me the better I'd feel!

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on the situation.
I just dumped my accounting major, will stick to an Economics major and take some accounting courses I may find useful, this way I'll have more time to work and hopefully launch my first business venture!
Thanks again for all the help, hopefully this was a good decision and will pay off in the coming years!

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I just dumped my accounting major, will stick to an Economics major and take some accounting courses I may find useful, this way I'll have more time to work and hopefully launch my first business venture!
Thanks again for all the help, hopefully this was a good decision and will pay off in the coming years!

good luck!

if I could just make one recommendation: take as many communication, speaking and writing courses as possible. Make yourself an excellent communicator and you'll be able to selll anything.... good luck in school

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
good luck!

if I could just make one recommendation: take as many communication, speaking and writing courses as possible. Make yourself an excellent communicator and you'll be able to sell anything.... good luck in school

Thanks for the advice, I'm taking some public speaking courses, writing courses and next semester I'll be learning a 4th language to help improve my communicative skills which are a most to succeed not only in business but in every field!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
They don't do student loans in Isreal?

Also don't you have to serve in the miltary for a year?

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York

Based on your previous post, I think that is best. You kind of answered your own question when you said you have absolutely no interest in being an accountant. Its good to know you came to the realization and moved forward with it. I think economics can be a very useful business type of major and I hope you continue to enjoy it. I remember taking an international economics course and I absolutely loved it.

While there may be some money or career future in accounting, if you hate the discipline, you are better off not going for it. You may need to pursue some economics-related jobs for income and seed money in the interim, but I think you made a great move in pursuing the topic that interested you the most.

Best of luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.