The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Cold calling, where's the middle ground?

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've recently been trying many different cold calling scripts and after calling a bunch of people and doing many tests, I've found a recurring problem.

When I call with a very short, generic, non-personalized script (with the intent of getting an appointment) I go through a lot of "no's" but I can do a decent amount of volume (calls) and eventually get a yes.

However, when I call with a personalized script, meaning I checked their website, wrote down problems on their website that may cause them from losing potential customers and provide a custom solution, the probability of getting a "yes" to a meeting is much higher but it takes me FOREVER to gather the information, I still get no's (but less) and waste a lot of time.

So my question is,

Is it better to do a bunch of research on a company, figure out their specific problems and call less people with higher quality calls

OR

Is it better to be a little less personalized, do a ton of volume and use a shorter script?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I've recently been trying many different cold calling scripts and after calling a bunch of people and doing many tests, I've found a recurring problem.

When I call with a very short, generic, non-personalized script (with the intent of getting an appointment) I go through a lot of "no's" but I can do a decent amount of volume (calls) and eventually get a yes.

However, when I call with a personalized script, meaning I checked their website, wrote down problems on their website that may cause them from losing potential customers and provide a custom solution, it works better but it takes me FOREVER to gather the information, I still get no's (but less) and waste a lot of time.

So my question is,

Is it better to do a bunch of research on a company, figure out their specific problems and call less people with higher quality calls

OR

Is it better to be a little less personalized, do a ton of volume and use a shorter script?
Outsource the data collection

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Just like you said: find the middle ground.

Put a blank area in your script, which you fill with the personalized bits. Try to minimize steps. Ideally you wouldn't even write down anything, you'd just look & talk.

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I've recommended that to my before. I think he's going to do it fairly soon.

But in the event where he doesn't, which would you pick over the other?
My general rule is quality over quantity for big ticket items.

Other factors come into play as well. If the group you're selling to is active on social media, I'd personalize more even if it's lower ticket.

You can measure the average time per YES, on each extreme and work inwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom