The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cigar smokers thread

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Are any of you brothers of the leaf?

I love my cigars. I love smoking, collecting and even talking about them. I'm not a big time collector, but currently have about 6 or 700 sticks in my various humidors.

My favorite pairings are black coffee, water, and single malt scotches. Sometimes I like the lime flavored carbonated water too.

Nothing like relaxing with a cigar. I have also found that when I smoke a cigar alone, I am able to concentrate and think better. I feel like one day I will come up with my Fastlane idea while smoking a cigar and sipping on a coffee.

Let's share our love of the leaf on this thread.:patriot:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cloaked_Isotope

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 19, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I too enjoy a good stogie. My dad used to sell to liquor stores and gas stations around here and I loved going on the customer visits with him. Can't say that I have that many in storage as I only smoke 1-2 a month, but nothing like a good whiskey with a smoke to relax.

There is a local guy I know around here that started a shop and its half humidor & half smoke/billiards lounge. Some great characters hang out there and it's one of my favorite hang outs in the winter (can't smoke inside in MN).

What brands do you enjoy?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Padron 1926 80th anniversary. Love that cigar!

In HK I have picked up a few montecristo Cubans. Doesnt even come close to the padron. I also order my special boleros from Mexico.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Padron is probably my favorite brand. But I recently got access to a large quantity of legit Cubans for a good price so I've been smoking a lot of those lately, thankfully.

I like the Liga Privada line very much as well. Liga #9, feral flying pig, UF 13, Undercrown, etc.

I'm a big fan of medium bodied smokes so the Flor De Las Antilles by My Father is definitely one of my favorites. I am probably going to get a box of those soon.

For anyone on a tight budget, I highly recommend Nica Libre 1990. Great sticks and some people call them the poor mans padron lol. Definitely better with some age on them though. I have 3 1/2 boxes aging in my coolidor :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Other cheaper but good cigars I enjoy include Arturo Fuente the Hemingway line specifically. La flor domincana and oliva make good cigars. Another one that is kind of less known is Sancho Panza.

I generally prefer both padron and AF to Cubans. Also Cubans are overpriced hype when I am overseas, they dont even carry the American market selection products that are for the most part better.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I always wondered why people accept cigar smokers but not cigarette smokers.

A ton of reasons:

- Cigar smoke smells better
- Cigar smokers don't bother everyone about needing a smoke every half hour
- Cigars are appreciated for their complexity and enjoyability in ways cigarettes just simply are not.
- Cigars are more of a hobby while cigarettes are more of an addiction.
- Cigars have communities of people discussing them (see above).
- Cigars are a symbol of prestige, relaxation, and luxury.
- Cigars are a premium item. Cigarettes are a discount item.

It goes on.

Bottom line is that the perceived value and experience of a cigar is vastly, vastly different from that of a cigarette.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Great points by JAJT! Also, premium hand rolled cigars are not loaded with all the chemicals that cigarettes are. All natural baby!

I love the Fuente line too KAK. Not a fan of Olivas at all and still haven't tried a Sancha Panza.

I love the distinct taste of Cuban tobacco. I am getting the cigars for about $10 a stick right now so price wise it's working out great. Monty #2, Bolivars, Hoyo double coronas and some RyJ Churchills. Got my hands on some Cohiba Sigo VI that look like great fakes but taste legit. Disappointed as hell about that though.

Do you guys order your cigars online? I'm a pretty religious user of cigarsinternational.com. Always great service and I belong to their cigar of the month club too.

I'd love to get a locker at a lounge, but the closest one is 30 mins away and the one I'm really interested in is 45 mins away. At this point it just doesn't make sense to pay monthly for something I will barely use. Hoping to build a walk in humidor when my wife and I eventually buy a new house :)

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Hey all, I'd like to keep this thread about Cigars and for the people who enjoy them only, please. I realize there are health risks with smoking cigars. Just like there are health risks with bad diet, cigarettes, skydiving, etc.

Let's focus on cigars: how, why and when we enjoy them. Anyone with negative comments about cigars, please start a seperate topic. I'd like to keep this one for the brothers and sisters of the leaf only.

We are all Fastlane brothers and sisters, so let's not argue. Thanks.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
What's everyone's favorite profile? Mild, medium, full cigars? My favorites are medium bodied cigars, but I do enjoy mild and fuller cigars as well. Sometimes a nice mild cigar with coffee is a great way to start the morning.

Now that it's cold again here in NJ I will be smoking a lot less cigars. I was smoking anywhere from 2-10 a week. Now I'll be surprised if I smoke more than 1 or 2 a week because I don't smoke inside the house. Boooo

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I call bullshit on that.

I've never, ever, heard anyone say "Ohhh, is someone smoking a cigarette? I just love the smell of cigarettes. I don't even smoke but I love cigarette smoke!".

I have heard the same about cigars quite regularly though.

(Only my opinion and experiences, of course).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What's everyone's favorite profile? Mild, medium, full cigars? My favorites are medium bodied cigars, but I do enjoy mild and fuller cigars as well. Sometimes a nice mild cigar with coffee is a great way to start the morning.

Now that it's cold again here in NJ I will be smoking a lot less cigars. I was smoking anywhere from 2-10 a week. Now I'll be surprised if I smoke more than 1 or 2 a week because I don't smoke inside the house. Boooo

It all depends for me. I love a super light Connecticut wrapper for hot summer days on the golf course or boat. If I am smoking in a lounge or relaxing nothing beats a super strong maduro.

I enjoy everything in between. :D

I rarely smoke in the morning.

My boleros are a twist of light and dark.
3u7e9ete.jpg

pcharles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 1, 2013
New York

I love my cigars. I love smoking, collecting and even talking about them. I'm not a big time collector, but currently have about 6 or 700 sticks in my various humidors.

My favorite pairings are black coffee, water, and single malt scotches. Sometimes I like the lime flavored carbonated water too.

Nothing like relaxing with a cigar. I have also found that when I smoke a cigar alone, I am able to concentrate and think better. I feel like one day I will come up with my Fastlane idea while smoking a cigar and sipping on a coffee.

You could also use it as your fastlane idea...

fukrs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 8, 2013
I am smoking right now.

Going to cigar lounges is bringing very good contacts because a lot business owners smoke cigars. And a lot of the times you can evaluated ideas there too.

Happy smoking fastlaners!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Fired up a BOSS Cigar (www.bosscigar.com), a Flor de las Antilles, and a Drew Estate BOTL this weekend. Went hunting with my dad but came up deer-less. Still a good weekend away and had some nice smokes.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
After a long winter and not too many cigars, I look forward to many smokes this spring, summer and fall. One day I'd love to waste time at my own cigar shop, while collecting a ton of passive income through other businesses. I will make it a reality!

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
@LeftBench , have you been working on your fastlane opportunities? If so, how's it going?

I'm a cigar-lover as well and often think about sitting on a beach, with a cigar and a drink. Have you thought about creating a fastlane opportunity based on your passion? Obviously, passion is not always where the money is, but you could evaluate the market - I'm sure there are ideas in the cigar industry that pass the N-E-C-S-T principle. I know nothing about the market, and I am sure it's crowded, but maybe there's room for a new cigar brand, humidor design, cigar subscription service, etc.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Hi Nick,

Glad to see another cigar lover. I've been working on a few Fastlane ideas, although I haven't thrown myself into them like I really should. I guess I've been working too much overtime with my Slowlane job. I've studied the cigar market, and it is definitely a crowded one. But there are millions of cigar lovers out there... so once I do find an idea that passes the CENTS principle, there is billions to be made.

Till then I'll be smoking and brainstorming. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
Come on @LeftBench. You've been a member for 8 months! Quit waiting for the idea to come along and just do something! I've been stuck in analysis paralysis, research forever mode, for years, waiting for a good idea to come along. What's holding you back?

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
What's holding you back?

Honestly, I've been holding myself back. At least I can admit it. I've been making excuses as to why I don't have enough time, or that I haven't found a need. Bottom line is that I haven't been looking hard enough for needs out there. And I can always make more time.

On a good note, I've been more productive in the last week than I have in the last 5 months.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@LeftBench, where are you in NJ? There's a cigar lounge in Yardley, Pa. I've never been, but I have heard good things. Plus, there is a lot of money in the area....just saying!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Hey @IAmTheJeff. I am in Northern NJ, Passaic County. I've been to Cigars International in Hamburg, PA before... awesome place. You guys have a ton of great cigar shops and lounges. There is definitely a ton of money to be made in cigars... I'll have to check out Yardley for sure!!

Do you smoke? What brands do you enjoy most?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
On a rare occasion, I'll grab a cheap R&J, but I'm not an avid smoker. I don't smoke alone, and very few friends enjoy the leaf. I'm sure I'll find more time after I escape the 7a-10p Slowlane life.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

I love coffee with my cigars, and my buddy thinks that's disgusting. It's good to hear I'm not the only one.

tstick

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 8, 2020
Started smoking with my wife when we were dating. I love the ritual of cutting and lighting a good cigar. Lot of great memories with friends and my wife since then. A particular cigar can take me back to a great experience. I remember distinctly smoking an opus x after hunting with my dad some years ago, and every time I see or smell one, I instantly am reminded of that day. Same thing with graduation, moving, etc. It helps align me with important moments in my life

Joseph1986

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2020
Canada
I am a smoker. I never forget my cigarettes and my lighter. For me, the cigarette is enjoyment, reassurance, a necessity. In terms of health, I feel fit and healthy, I don't need any medication, the cigarettes are my medication.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.