The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Candy Crush Brings In $633,000 Per Day

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Candy Crush Brings In $633,000 Per Day, Analysis Finds

I’m not alone in my addiction. About 45 million people play Candy Crush on Facebook each month, making it the most popular game on the site. It’s the most downloaded mobile game on both Android and Apple devices, and it’s the top-grossing mobile app. Think Gaming estimates that Candy Crush brings in around $633,000 a day—more than $230 million a year—for King, its British creator.

jeez.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Shit, I heard people talking about how they've spent money on this app but had no idea it was this huge.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I'm not surprised, I see so many people playing this on Facebook.

"Caroline just saved a life...." playing Candy Crush

O Really!

They've even had TV ads for it over here.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Social cocaine...
I must admit, it's a fun game lol

As you have played this what do you think makes Candy Crush stand out from the thousands of less popular Facebook games?

Is it the clever marketing?

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
As you have played this what do you think makes Candy Crush stand out from the thousands of less popular Facebook games?

Is it the clever marketing?
I found out about it through my friends. Why does it stand out? Most likely the marketing and how it makes the user feel / how it is rewarding.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'll look into this further but I will never get hooked to these games haha. I quit video game addiction the day my PS3 broke years ago.

That guy who created the app must be a happy man! Great success story though :eusa_clap: I wish I could develop apps

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I'll be honest. It has saved me from many boring lectures in class. I think what really made it popular is simplicity, social interaction, and the system where you have to wait or ask for lives.

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Jeez indeed, thats alot of cheddar! I havent played it but I think its so successful because for whatever reason it appeals to so many different types of people. Beyond the random game of Solitaire my girlfriend doesnt play video games but she plays this. I have friends who dont play video games but play and spend real money on this game.... Its insane. Then there is everyone on Facebook that play it. As Capital said, social cocaine!

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I found out about it through my friends. Why does it stand out? Most likely the marketing and how it makes the user feel / how it is rewarding.

I've wondered the same thing. I like games but I stay away from anything Facebook-related due to my hatred of the site. From everything I've seen, it's just like Bejeweled, so what makes people want to sink money into it?

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I've wondered the same thing. I like games but I stay away from anything Facebook-related due to my hatred of the site. From everything I've seen, it's just like Bejeweled, so what makes people want to sink money into it?
The game can become very frustrating, especially when you only get 5 lives to start with. After the lives are depleted you have to wait 30 minutes for each one to recover, have your friends share them with you on FB, or buy them for $0.99. Being such a low price point, I'm assuming most people won't even think about it. Also, if you are stuck on difficult levels, you can buy powerups or extra moves to help you complete them. All of these different things come together to create a FANTASTIC monetization system.

Really, either pay money, or wait for a while to play again. Genius.

Last edited:

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
The came can become very frustrating, especially when you only get 5 lives to start with. After the lives are depleted you have to wait 30 minutes for each one to recover, have your friends share them with you on FB, or buy them for $0.99. Being such a low price point, I'm assuming most people won't even think about it. Also, if you are stuck on difficult levels, you can buy powerups or extra moves to help you complete them. All of these different things come together to create a FANTASTIC monetization system.

Yep, you think "Oh, only a dollar" but then you keep doing it over and over until it is many dollars.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
The game can become very frustrating, especially when you only get 5 lives to start with. After the lives are depleted you have to wait 30 minutes for each one to recover, have your friends share them with you on FB, or buy them for $0.99. Being such a low price point, I'm assuming most people won't even think about it. Also, if you are stuck on difficult levels, you can buy powerups or extra moves to help you complete them. All of these different things come together to create a FANTASTIC monetization system.

Damn, these micro-transactions in mobile games seem like they are the next big thing in the entertainment industry. I've often thought about attempting something myself, the only restriction being that I would need to sink down and buy a Mac to develop for that platform. ;)

Of course, mobile apps are a tough nut to crack. It's just so hard to tell which way the market is headed. One day it's Words With Friends and everyone is developing scrabble look-alikes, and now it's Bejeweled meets candyland... crazy.

All of this makes me want to go read Allen Wong's book...

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
People love time killers. Go to the iTunes app store on any given day, and take a look at the top 10 paid apps and top 10 free apps. At least 50% of them are in the "games" category. If you can offer another person an escape that is literally at arms' reach at any moment of the day, then you will make that person very happy. It makes sense if you think that the antithesis of finishing one's work, or taking on extra responsibility is procrastination. How many times have you, or your friends said, "I'm just not in the mood to do ______ right now..."

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The game makes so much because:

1. It's polished as hell. The game is slick. Very slick. It looks professionally made.

2. It's socially integrated and encourages peer pressure by sending lives and helping each other out. The game even has "stop points" requiring people to send you "boarding passes" to advance to further levels.

3. The game is hard enough and restrictive enough to REALLY encourage buying behavior. If someone doesn't send you a life when you run out you have to either sit there and wait a while for a single of your lives to return, or just buy one. Same with powerups - hit your head against a wall or buy helpful items.

So you have a very fun, professional looking game with built-in high levels of peer pressure and microtransactions.

I'm really, really not surprised at the income being generated here.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Why pay 99 cents for more lives when you can just forward your phone clock?

It is interesting to see TV ads coming out for mobile phone apps now, and that is how they are penetrating older demographics at the same time they are getting smartphones and facebook.

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Combination of game play/strategy, social integration, hypnotic music.... DELICIOUS! DEVINE!!! TASTY!! LOL.... All the addictive aspects of a game wrapped up into one mega color bomb. They recently launched similar puzzle game on Facebook. I'm wondering if it will fair as well as Candy Crush.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My girlfriend plays this. It is a mind F*ck. It builds your confidence up and then shits all over you and lets you buy your way through to the next level which will inspire confidence again. Overall a brilliant game.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.