The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can this thread save your life, and perhaps countless others? Yes.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Even if we humans are the most intelligent animal on the planet
Surely this number is dwindling by the second. Only 0.00000001 are intelligent the rest are mostly useful idiots and or oxygen wasters

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Yes, I also don't trust this institution at all.
However all the data points in the same direction: alcohol is one of the most dangerous substances used by people today.
Most dangerous only because its legal to buy.
If government would forbid alcohol, the numbers of alcohol accidents would go down immediately.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
If government would forbid alcohol, the numbers of alcohol accidents would go down immediately.
As @Jadus pointed out, you can't stop people from doing something by making it illegal. People will proceed regardless. And the alcohol prohibition had plenty of unintended consequences and overall did more harm to the society.

I don't think governments can or should prohibit alcohol use. It's ultimately a personal choice. If you want to do it that's fine, but it's your responsibility to educate yourself on this topic and understand the risks.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Unfortunately, the person this thread was started about apparently didn't show for the court date and went on the run.

It can be a life sentence for the negligence involved in the accident alone without being on the run. Likely to be problematic when caught and sentenced.

Probably making a bad decision even worse for all involved.
I did not know DUI resulting in death could end up with life sentence.

In my impression it is very short sentence (2-3 years at most), from the cases I read in my country, Singapore.

Serve the sentence quickly and F off is a far better option.

Paying civil damages to the victim family is a separate matter.

A quick google in U.S. I realized indeed you can get charged with murder and gets sentenced for decades in prison.

Last edited:

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
I did not know DUI resulting in death could end up with life sentence.

A quick google in U.S. I realized indeed you can get charged with murder and gets sentenced for decades in prison.

2nd degree murder can be life in California. It depends on background. I have no idea if that would apply in this case. I'm not a lawyer, not even close.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
2nd degree murder can be life in California. It depends on background. I have no idea if that would apply in this case. I'm not a lawyer, not even close.

I see. I didn’t know it could be so serious in some states in U.S.

In singapore is maximum 7 years for DUI causing death, as I just read the statutes again. 5 for negligence causing death, +2 for DUI. So for someone with no criminal record and good behavior in prison it is expected to get out of prison with 2-3 years.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
I see. I didn’t know it could be so serious in some states in U.S.

In singapore is maximum 7 years for DUI causing death, as I just read the statutes again. 5 for negligence causing death, +2 for DUI. So for someone with no criminal record and good behavior in prison it is expected to get out of prison with 2-3 years.
Singapore is a strange place. Seven years for killing someone while drunk driving and yet they threaten you with the death penalty for drug trafficking.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Singapore is a strange place. Seven years for killing someone while drunk driving and yet they threaten you with the death penalty for drug trafficking.

Driving without license + consuming Brandy before driving + killing someone as a result = 4 months in prison (in this case).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Looks like 5 seconds of behavior will change his next 50 years of life...

I would take from the old man’s point of view, and avoid unecessary conflict with strangers.

You never know when you will meet someone with anger management issue or high on drug, and they could be with a weapon.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Unfortunately, the person this thread was started about apparently didn't show for the court date and went on the run.

It can be a life sentence for the negligence involved in the accident alone without being on the run. Likely to be problematic when caught and sentenced.

Probably making a bad decision even worse for all involved.

An update:

The person was re-captured and is in jail now facing additional charges for running.

It's a shame to have taken a life and also to have destroyed much future self success.

The event of drowning some sorrow with some booze destroyed the process being followed.

As MJ said in the kickoff post, massive negative asymmetric returns.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
As @Jadus pointed out, you can't stop people from doing something by making it illegal. People will proceed regardless. And the alcohol prohibition had plenty of unintended consequences and overall did more harm to the society.

I don't think governments can or should prohibit alcohol use. It's ultimately a personal choice. If you want to do it that's fine, but it's your responsibility to educate yourself on this topic and understand the risks.
The big problem with alcohols is that it blurs boundaries, and that you start to overestimate yourself.

All good intentions disappear!

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I am guilty of text driving - sometimes with my kid at the back...

This thread is the perfect reminder of how STUPID and CARELESS I have been.

I promise to do my very best to remember the D.A.R.E. concept every time I am behind the wheel.
Same here, I now keep my phone in the trunk while driving.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What happened to Britney Griner is another sad DARE story with bare minimum culpability, but still enough to spark the fires of consequence ... of course she's not to blame for being a pawn in a Russian chess game, but she could have prevented the whole thing from happening if she took a few moments to understand Russian laws, especially if she planned on spending some time there in a work role. Her case is a great example how DAREs can lurk in the most simple of situations. Hopefully she don't need to serve the whole 9.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I write this with a heavy heart.

It has come to my attention that a forum member with some pretty good post history was recently involved in a tragedy that resulted in the death of innocent person due to this person's alleged negligence. In short, alleged drunk driving and driving the wrong way on a freeway. The result of this poor decision was someone was killed, and this person arrested and possibly charged with some serious offenses.

In short, many lives have been destroyed due to ONE POOR DECISION.

While it is difficult for me to write this post, it needs to be done because it just might SAVE LIVES. And if it saves lives, it will save a lot of other lives from the tragedy and turmoil that will certainly follow -- not just for the victim and his family, but the person who made the poor choice.

This was a topic in my recent book and had its own chapter.

I called it a Downside Asymmetric Risk Event... how 1 bad choice can erase 100s of good choices, and irrevocably change your life forever. And others.

I'm going to post the chapter here for your reading.

Again, I wasn't sure if I should post this but then thought, if this thread can SAVE ONE LIFE (and many others) then it is worth it.

D.A.R.E stands for "Downside Asymmetric Risk Event" -- here is the chapter.

As for who this is, I will NOT post this person's real name or username simply because it won't change what happened. If that information is important to you, you are welcome to seek your own channels for that information. Please don't post it here, news reports, or anything else. Again, it won't change what happened and put things back to normal.

Bottomline, our actions and their consequences can extend to other people beyond ourselves. THINK before you ACT. When I think about this incident and how many lives that will never be same, you truly learn to respect the gravity of our choices.

A truly sad, devastating, and tragic situation.

Be smart people, stay safe, and learn how to spot DAREs that can fire because of ONE bad choice.... one day it might save your life, or someone else.

EDIT: Here is a link to the memorial fund for the victim. If you feel it in your heart, please donate a few dollars.

Thank you, MJ, I'm sure this post have already saved or certainly will save at least 1 life, so we are greatful that you went through pain to post this.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
An update:

The person was re-captured and is in jail now facing additional charges for running.

Said in the same southern accent of "Oh, bless your heart" ..... Oh, I love this for him.

(I typed a whole lot below this & have deleted it.... let's just summarize and say that I hope justice is served. For a very, very long time.)

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
My supervisor was riding to work from another district. He was at a low speed. Well, he decided to look at his phone, like to see the time. He found himself knocking a road sign and tossing over. Was picked up by strangers.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
On the subject of motorcycles here’s some tips that have kept me safe for 50,000 miles on 2 wheels…
-Ride aggressive, cruising will get you killed. Take up your whole lane, have loud pipes. Accelerate hard then chop the throttle. Basically ride like a dick. (This does not mean riding like an idiot, lane splitting at 100mph) you will be noticed by people. I’d rather them think I’m a dick, than not be seen.
-When stopping, always stop towards the center divider, this leaves room for a car, so you won’t get pancaked if someone is texting behind you. (Seen several YT vids where this has saved lives)
-When sitting in traffic better to leave it in gear, so you can drop the clutch if you see someone coming up on you fast.
-Assume everyone will cut you off, either have your fingers ready to brake, or don’t give them the chance.
-last one, ride loose! Have fun! Stretch! I like to weave my bike around imaginary cones in the road. Keeps you loose and focused.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
When I see this kind of article I always remember that I was this person in the past when I was young. But now I stopped drinking altogether. Instead of judging these people, I empathize a lot. I was such an idiot in the past but I am glad the coin flip was in my favor. This was criminal behavior that I did.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
One thing I didn't notice mentioned is tiredness.

It can be wicked, because you think you're more capable then you are.
You may even be a very responsible driver, thinking "alright, I need to take a nap, next town is just a few miles away, we'll make a pause there".

But sleep sneaks up on you and takes you out in a split second.
One part of the second you're awake, next part of that same second you're asleep!

How will you wake up?

Will your passenger notice just in time to shake you up and steer the wheel before you hit another car?
Will it be to the truck from the other side honking and flashing lights into you?

Why even take a chance?
Whatever you think you will lose if you don't get somewhere in time,
is probably worth much less than losing everything.

This is a place for ambitious, and I know many of y'all are skimpy on sleep.
I respect you for it. It's badass.

But it's even more badass to get your priorities right.
Please take care.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
On the subject of motorcycles here’s some tips that have kept me safe for 50,000 miles on 2 wheels…
-Ride aggressive, cruising will get you killed. Take up your whole lane, have loud pipes. Accelerate hard then chop the throttle. Basically ride like a dick. (This does not mean riding like an idiot, lane splitting at 100mph) you will be noticed by people. I’d rather them think I’m a dick, than not be seen.
-When stopping, always stop towards the center divider, this leaves room for a car, so you won’t get pancaked if someone is texting behind you. (Seen several YT vids where this has saved lives)
-When sitting in traffic better to leave it in gear, so you can drop the clutch if you see someone coming up on you fast.
-Assume everyone will cut you off, either have your fingers ready to brake, or don’t give them the chance.
-last one, ride loose! Have fun! Stretch! I like to weave my bike around imaginary cones in the road. Keeps you loose and focused.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I understand why you say to have loud pipes (so other drivers/riders hear you coming) but they are annoying and illegal in some places. Here in Thailand, that can get your bike confiscated.

Weaving around may not be the best idea either. It will get you noticed but may also get you pulled over for suspected drunk driving.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
One thing I didn't notice mentioned is tiredness.

It can be wicked, because you think you're more capable then you are.
You may even be a very responsible driver, thinking "alright, I need to take a nap, next town is just a few miles away, we'll make a pause there".

But sleep sneaks up on you and takes you out in a split second.
One part of the second you're awake, next part of that same second you're asleep!

How will you wake up?

Will your passenger notice just in time to shake you up and steer the wheel before you hit another car?
Will it be to the truck from the other side honking and flashing lights into you?

Why even take a chance?
Whatever you think you will lose if you don't get somewhere in time,
is probably worth much less than losing everything.

This is a place for ambitious, and I know many of y'all are skimpy on sleep.
I respect you for it. It's badass.

But it's even more badass to get your priorities right.
Please take care.
You're right about this. I was once on a one lane road and the guy ahead of me was weaving all over the place. I thought he was drunk and so I stayed back a ways. Several times he weaved into oncoming traffic.

We got to a stretch of the road on a hill where there is a center divider and he finally hit it. Thankfully he pulled over to the side of the road after that. I pulled over behind him and started calling 911. He got out of his car and when he saw what I was doing, he got upset. He said he wasn't drunk, just sleepy. Either way, he shouldn't have been on the road.

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
I am guilty of text driving - sometimes with my kid at the back...

This thread is the perfect reminder of how STUPID and CARELESS I have been.

I promise to do my very best to remember the D.A.R.E. concept every time I am behind the wheel.
Several years ago, I was taking my kid back to her mom's house after an outting. I could not get her into the car as she wanted to stay and have fun. Finally got her in the car and texted her mom, finally on the way, had to get her home by 400 and it was already 3:55.
About 8 minutes from the house- a 18 minute ride depending on traffic, I started getting text noise. I did not answer it and there was no place to pull over to look at it.
I finally got my daughter home @15 minutes late. He aunt, who also lives there, started screaming didn't you get my text? Where were you and other things. I looked at her and honestly said. I texted her mom when we were leaving and I DO NOT look at texts while driving, ESPECIALLY WITH MY DAUGHTER in the car. She looked at me very sheepishly and said "Sorry. Thank you for that."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.