The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can the Fastlane Forum Really Be Slowlane..?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
No - I'm not just trying out different copywriting headlines.

Let me start off by saying I love MJ's book, the forum, the great people I've met on it, the people I have met in person as a result of meeting them on the forum, the contacts that have been passed along, the lessons I have learned, yadda, yadda, yadda...

But I have found it is also a bit of a two-edged sword. It's very easy on this forum to get distracted from your real work. The stuff that will add value to your life, the lives of others and the customers throughout the world.

The people who are killing it - zen*******, Vigilante, MJ, ICK, Jack Edwards and so many others, are very generous with their time and I know we all appreciate it. But for those of us who are building businesses, it is very easy to get distracted. Often I find myself:

• Reading all the motivational posts and watching the videos
  • Posting motivational stuff, articles, etc.
  • Checking my profile to see how many likes I get, watch my rep bank growing, hoping for speed points etc.
  • Letting my ADD kick in when I see someone with a great idea on the forum that is taking off and starting to research how I could learn how to code/copywrite/outsource on elance/hire a VA to make me bank
Please don't get me wrong. I don't write this to criticize the forum in any way. I have learned so much here. I am writing this because I think a lot of newbies (myself included) can easily get distracted and veer a little off their course with the crazy ways to live life in the fastlane.

I thought I saw somewhere on here that Jack Edwards gave some advice about 'Sticking with something to the end, no matter how dumb it seems at times'. Seems like great advice. Part of sticking with it is using the forum to build the line of work you are into. Ask for help, solicit advice and read others who have gone down a similar path. But watch all the exit ramps. Those 'Stuckey's Pecan Log Rolls' signs can be awfully distracting. Stay on that highway until you reach your destination. The sooner you get there the better for everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The forum is just another possible tool in your toolbelt.

Some people take the hammer and build a house. Others take the hammer and say they are going to build a house.

It's all in the execution.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Totally agree.

Maybe it's me. But there are so many distractions and little voices inside your head saying 'don't take a risk. Be content with what you have.' It's easy to rationalize that I am reading the forum, and therefore I am doing fastlane activities. I just wanted to point out that once you have what you need from the forum, go out and execute!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The forum is just another possible tool in your toolbelt.

Good analogy.

It indeed is a tool. However, I'd modify your analogy a little differently.

The forum is tool, like a hammer.

Some people will use the hammer to build great things with it.

Other people will use the hammer to hit themselves over the head with it.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I think most fledgling entrepreneurs get here (myself included) and get so excited by being surrounded by so many intelligent, creative and just flat out cool entrepreneurs, that they confuse activity (talking about their ideas/business) with productivity (working on their ideas/business). Getting distracted happens--just don't let the distraction turn into a derailment. :)

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I agree with you, but the only fault is our own for reading and not taking full advantage. If you come here to learn and study seriously, things will happen. If u browse thise site to read nuggets after work because u r tired and lazy, and then dont write them down, it is slowlane (I am criticizing myself here, cuz thats what I do). Is it better than watching Ellen? Yes. Do either of those get me to same pt? Yup. You can either use this forum as a tool like mentioned above, or u can choose to make it a slowlane habit...which you and I are currently doing

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
At first, I spent A LOT of time on the forum. Probably the first 6 months. At one point, I realized that maybe I'm spending too much time on the forum and not getting enough shit done. That's when I started cutting back and only checking the forum once in a while or to update my progress thread.

But that was AFTER I was ready. I absolutely DO NOT think that the time spent on the forum was a waste. In fact, just the opposite. It was wellllllll worth it!

Not only did I interact with so many great people, but I learned a lot of what to do, and what not to do. I read through all the great articles, chatted back and forth with some of the well regarded members (Even spoke to some over the phone), and bounced ideas back and forth. It also led me to the B&P which, as anyone who has gone knows, can be LIFE-CHANGING!

Spend some time on the forum. Read up. Especially the Gold threads. Meet some new people. Make friends. Get feedback.

And then when your ready, cut back and GET TO WORK!!!!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This forum for me is another networking tool. I don't spend time checking my rep bank or caring about any of that.

I network here and use it as a platform to meet new people and grow relationships. I can see your point of you just read for years and never meet a soul or take any action, it's just a huge action fake.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Spend some time on the forum. Read up. Especially the Gold threads. Meet some new people. Make friends. Get feedback.

And then when your ready, cut back and GET TO WORK!!!!

Yes ^^!

ForumFan management of fastlane forum time (rotate, mix n match):
  • Nose to the grindstone, business takes priority.
  • Only post on a certain day/s of the week.
  • Stay out of the 'outside' forum for ___ days.
  • Stay out of the 'INSIDERS' forum for ____ days.
  • Only reply to posts that address you by name.
  • Only reply to threads in your expertise or current focus.
  • Only post in your progress thread.
  • Set timer and limit forum time to ___ min per day.
  • No forum time til ____ goal/s achieved.
  • No forum time when you are in your peak performance part of the day.
  • Reward yourself with forum time when you hit _____ units sold.
  • Identify which poster needs the most help and reply to that specific thread.
  • Spend ____ days in dribs and drabs, while you're doing other things, outlining and pondering what flagship meaningful post you could write to contribute to the forum. Then, once it's assembled, put it out there to benefit the community.
  • Dive into a cold turkey 30-day No Forum Time challenge (no sneaky, sneakey peeks allowed).
  • None of the above.
  • And, there's always: Ask @Runum for a 6-month ban.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I get where your coming from, as in a distraction. But this website has opened my eyes up to alot of new things and ideas for which I am grateful.
It just depends on how you use the resources on this website I guess.
You can just be here mental masturbating daily or you can be planning your goals and taking vital steps towards your future.
The powers in your hands quite literally.

UniversalMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 24, 2011
United States
Use all the brilliant ideas and knowledge that is provided on the forum by the generous members, and use these as guides in coming up with your own idea for your fastlane plan. It all comes down to focus and determination. Pick one idea and stick with it, regardless if you think it is perfect or not. There is no such thing as the perfect idea or plan. It's all about making mistakes and learning along the way.

D

DeletedUser2

I do what I do. because of who I am.
I mostly ignore speed and Rep etc. cool but does not add alot of value to my life. apparently it does to others. so awesome!

you have to understand when your are in LEARN mode, and when you are in ACTION mode.

Learn mode can take a while.

and its a cycle. learn, practice, do, analyze repeat.

Being in learn mode is ok, just as long as you set limits to it. (not 4 yrs) pick a time that makes you feel comfortable, then do.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
All of these responses were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone!

I just wanted to help people to hopefully see that sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Many of you responded with posts that said it better than I could. I just find myself sometimes spending too much time here and not taking action. Hopefully this will help others avoid the same thing.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
There is a good side and bad side to everything. The yin and the yang.

Keep balanced and you'll do fine. I will admit it's tough though. At one point, I was spending 2 hours a day writing posts then another 2 hours on the phone helping people sort out their thoughts...had to quit that when biz got busy.

I like the forum because it's the only place I've found where people don't think I'm insane. That's why I'm here. Most people's eyes glaze over when I start talking about business.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Couldn't agree more ICK. My wife didn't even want to hear my latest business idea! I find it is better to just work on your business by yourself, along with whatever team you assemble, than tell people about it who are not directly involved. When you start achieving success, all of a sudden people are interested:)

TBreezy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Feb 20, 2014
MA
I like the forum because it's the only place I've found where people don't think I'm insane. That's why I'm here. Most people's eyes glaze over when I start talking about business

haha. thats close to what i was saying to you earlier.

Couldn't agree more ICK. My wife didn't even want to hear my latest business idea! I find it is better to just work on your business by yourself, along with whatever team you assemble, than tell people about it who are not directly involved. When you start achieving success, all of a sudden people are interested

I think a lot of us are in this same situation. Your wife just doesn't understand how much this means to you. I don't think others have that same fire that we do, that fire that makes us different and leads us on paths that may seem to them , unrealistic.I can't speak for all of you , but it's just who i am.

I'm not talking about the random friend , but i think we should give the people close to us a break. We can't blame them for not being able to understand. Instead of bringing them an idea , that they will have no idea how to respond to , bring them success.

---Edited to see if i could explain what i was trying to say better

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.