The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I succeed as a tech blogger?

Hubble

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 23, 2019
Hi all,

this is my first real post here. I've read TMF on the advice of a colleague at work, and have got the bug since. I've also read FU Money and listen regularly to Dan Lok.

I never thought of having a business, I grew up with this mentality I was afraid of taking responsibility for other people's lives, that being a millionaire was just not achievable by normal people, that I did not have any good idea. Pretty lame mindset, if you ask me.

Instead, I banked on a good education, frugality and "safe" investments. Despite that, I live a comfortable life in my early 40s, but not, of course, with any financial independence nor any where close to my dream house, dream vacations, dream hobbies, etc. TMF was a revelation to me.

And so it is that I decided to make this year different, and achieve something significant. I had started a blog last year, following the advice of John Sonmez. I did his blogging course and started writing about my area. The idea was to use the blog to get a job in Blockchain, but in reality I got the job before I even started blogging about blockchain. I kept the blog ever since. My company republishes my posts in their website (with my name) which gives me some recognition and gives them some content. But after 1 year, I don't quite know how to proceed.

I think I have now enough content to start monetizing my blog. For now, I'm going to try ads, affiliate links and possibly a job board. But my company now seems to expect me to write posts for them, when that is not my job and I do it on my spare time. They also gave the idea of me writing an e-book (necessarily free) for them, but that was something I intended to use later for monetization. And on top of this, I don't manage to have the time to both write posts and administer the blog (implement SEO, review old posts to add links, enrol to some ad scheme) because I don't want to take too much time from my family.
My blog has an audience but not massive. I only passed the 1000 views/month in January, and am on course to about 600 this month. On the other hand, I got a consulting job because of the blog, that gave me over 3k for a work that took a few weekends and nights. But that was a one-off, so far. On the other hand, people simply don't write comments on my blog (but there are a few scattered ones on the media channels where my company posts). It seems that all the links and reaction are on those sites, and few trickle down to my blog.

So, I have several questions. Is it feasible to make a living out of a blog like this?
How should I deal with sharing my posts with my company? How should I keep my IP and reserve the right to make money from it? How should I organize my process to be able to blog, administer and still keep my work at the same time? I don't feel ready to drop it right now, also because I can blog about things I do at work.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really inexperienced at this and could use some help. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Hi all,

this is my first real post here. I've read TMF on the advice of a colleague at work, and have got the bug since. I've also read FU Money and listen regularly to Dan Lok.

I never thought of having a business, I grew up with this mentality I was afraid of taking responsibility for other people's lives, that being a millionaire was just not achievable by normal people, that I did not have any good idea. Pretty lame mindset, if you ask me.

Instead, I banked on a good education, frugality and "safe" investments. Despite that, I live a comfortable life in my early 40s, but not, of course, with any financial independence nor any where close to my dream house, dream vacations, dream hobbies, etc. TMF was a revelation to me.

And so it is that I decided to make this year different, and achieve something significant. I had started a blog last year, following the advice of John Sonmez. I did his blogging course and started writing about my area. The idea was to use the blog to get a job in Blockchain, but in reality I got the job before I even started blogging about blockchain. I kept the blog ever since. My company republishes my posts in their website (with my name) which gives me some recognition and gives them some content. But after 1 year, I don't quite know how to proceed.

I think I have now enough content to start monetizing my blog. For now, I'm going to try ads, affiliate links and possibly a job board. But my company now seems to expect me to write posts for them, when that is not my job and I do it on my spare time. They also gave the idea of me writing an e-book (necessarily free) for them, but that was something I intended to use later for monetization. And on top of this, I don't manage to have the time to both write posts and administer the blog (implement SEO, review old posts to add links, enrol to some ad scheme) because I don't want to take too much time from my family.
My blog has an audience but not massive. I only passed the 1000 views/month in January, and am on course to about 600 this month. On the other hand, I got a consulting job because of the blog, that gave me over 3k for a work that took a few weekends and nights. But that was a one-off, so far. On the other hand, people simply don't write comments on my blog (but there are a few scattered ones on the media channels where my company posts). It seems that all the links and reaction are on those sites, and few trickle down to my blog.

So, I have several questions. Is it feasible to make a living out of a blog like this?
How should I deal with sharing my posts with my company? How should I keep my IP and reserve the right to make money from it? How should I organize my process to be able to blog, administer and still keep my work at the same time? I don't feel ready to drop it right now, also because I can blog about things I do at work.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really inexperienced at this and could use some help. Thanks.

It seems like you got a lot of problems you’re trying to solve.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Before doing anything you need to clear up with your employer exactly where your blog and posts come into this.

You might find that there is a stipulation in your contract that says anything you create or invent whilst in their employment belongs to them, this makes your blog a very grey area. You might find you're handing it all over to them legally without realising it.

For sure though if you write that e-book for them you won't be able to use it for your own cause.

To answer your question, can you make money from a blog? yes of course.

But before considering how, you first need to figure out how deep you are in with your employer and if it's not too late then set some ground rules to keep your blog separate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.