The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can a T Shirt Business still be fastlane?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 21, 2011
Hi fellas

I'm interested in starting a business selling t-shirts online and eventually bringing other types of apparel on board.
Just wanted to find out what people think about a tee biz. I've been going through the forums quite a bit and there
seems to be some debate whether a t shirt biz can a fastlane biz.

There are 2-3 big guns in the niche I'm thinking of going into but like every other indie t shirt designer out there, I'm thinking of adding a different twist to what's available. Why I think it could work is that there's a few proven brands out there, the market is a hot and growing market and based on my knowledge of the niche, I can definitely add a different twist on things.

Some of my concerns are that there might be a reason why no one has done what I'm thinking of doing, the ability to scale and whether the entire t shirt thing is just extremely over-done.

I've got 2 questions.

1) Do you guys think a t shirt biz is fastlane or slowlane. Anybody know of any success stories besides Johnny Cupcakes?

2) Regardless of your opinion, how would you go about taking a tee biz fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
At least once a month someone comes on here and asks almost the same question about the t-shirt biz...

Weird.. Seems like a lot of people want to jump on that bandwagon..

I have a friend that makes t-shirts for schools and such,, he grinds out 50k a month I would say and makes 15k..

Not a bad biz.. I just dont think making a brand is the way to go.. Think aboout how many different clubs that have all different t-shirts there are in a middle school.. Then think how many middle schools are there.

But go ahead do it the hard way and try to create your own brand.

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
Yes it can, although it would be hard because the t-shirt business is very crowded. You would have to cater to a specific niche though, unless you have a lot of capital and can get someone famous to wear your t-shirts. I wouldn't really get into it unless you know the fashion business in and out.

Marion

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 15, 2012
T-

I think you really have to know your market. Depends on your location, your designs, your niche. But , like what the guy below said, creating a brand is not really the best way to go. T-shirt printing as a product will not likely make you rich. But the t-shirt biz as a service can.

We do shirts for bands since we do CD duplication as well. Many bands who come to us for duplication also ask us for posters and tees. The t-shirt biz works if you attach it to another business.

If you need shirt packaging, printing, and other materials, we can team up. Just visit our site CD/DVD Manufacturing, Creative CD/DVD Packaging, Duplication, Blu-Ray Replication, USB Vinyl Pressing- Unified Manufacturing and contact James.=)

Leary

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 29, 2012
Victoria, Australia
I had an idea of creating a line of tees that are robust and comfortable (and moderately stylish), and donating them to homeless/outreach shelters for the needy. Get a couple of hundred thousand homeless guys wearing the shirt, have your website/message printed on there somewhere and that could be good marketing. Especially if the media gets hold of it.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I had an idea of creating a line of tees that are robust and comfortable (and moderately stylish), and donating them to homeless/outreach shelters for the needy. Get a couple of hundred thousand homeless guys wearing the shirt, have your website/message printed on there somewhere and that could be good marketing. Especially if the media gets hold of it.

How would you fund the 400K it would cost to do that?

SPX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 31, 2012
I think it can be still be possible, just look at the guy who started johnnys cupcakes. Might take a while to build it up but put work into it and you can do it to.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Violates the entry commandment I believe...As soon as everyone else can do it the ride is over for new entrants....IMO. Doesn't mean you cant grind out a decent living if that's what your seeking, but "fastlane" now probably not.

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California

Sorry, I don't think that'd be a great branding move. You don't see TV ads featuring homeless people as a spokesperson for a brand.

Anyways, I think it's possible, but as InMotion said, it does violate the commandment of entry. Check out the story of ooShirts (Inc. article)

Suhaib Alam

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 16, 2011
London, UK
Yes it can be FastLane but not as a tshirt business... Tshirts can be sold thru your company on the subject only if they are innovative and have smashing designs.

Check the way its done at Inspyur, a movement for inspiration and they have come out with the Steve Jobs tribute tshirt
Inspyur | Inspiring Lives

So dont make your business tshirts, start another valuable business, give valuable information, maybe an info-business like a blog, mag etc. give away valuable information and sell products not just t-shirts on your niche, ofcourse you have to make them look stunning.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hi fellas

I'm interested in starting a business selling t-shirts online and eventually bringing other types of apparel on board.
Just wanted to find out what people think about a tee biz. I've been going through the forums quite a bit and there
seems to be some debate whether a t shirt biz can a fastlane biz.

There are 2-3 big guns in the niche I'm thinking of going into but like every other indie t shirt designer out there, I'm thinking of adding a different twist to what's available. Why I think it could work is that there's a few proven brands out there, the market is a hot and growing market and based on my knowledge of the niche, I can definitely add a different twist on things.

Some of my concerns are that there might be a reason why no one has done what I'm thinking of doing, the ability to scale and whether the entire t shirt thing is just extremely over-done.

I've got 2 questions.

1) Do you guys think a t shirt biz is fastlane or slowlane. Anybody know of any success stories besides Johnny Cupcakes?

2) Regardless of your opinion, how would you go about taking a tee biz fastlane?

What is the simple definition of a fastlane business?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
i have a friend who runs a t shirt company. they own all the machines needed to make them. their business model is not like a fashion company. the need they target is specific clubs/fraternities/sororities/groups in college that need group t shirts. every year/semester these groups need new t shirt designs for their specific group. they design the t shirts themselves and they show it to the group and then they make them. you can go to their website and submit a form and wham! they show you a pro design based on your groups philosophy and they print them out! THIS is fastlane. it follows all the commandments. if you are starting a fashion t shirt business i would say that is very tricky as the need is not clearly defined(do people really need this?), the barriers to entry suck, hell i can call up a t shirt company and make a bunch of custom t shirts myself. the commandment of control is a little shaky as most fashion companies do not own the manufacturing machines.

i would say to take a t shirt business fastlane is to target a specific group and know as much about them as possible. because this is basicly a fashion company which i would say is KINDA fastlane, but the hard part is identifying the NEED. i have another friend who started an off road clothing company and he is BALLING, he just bought himself a bugatti grand sport. he was telling me that the way he started it was motocross/off road is HUGE in southern california. he devised a great marketing plan and brand image and targeted the off road/motocross consumers/junkies.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
In my opinion,

If three biz have done it yet ... why you can't?

Bring something with more value (service, product, price or something like that and you should get a part of the market)

In every business that are already in a market, in my opinion, you can bring something more valuable to get a part of the market you just got to start and do it.

Bosstradamus

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
im wondering the same. i actually started things rolling before i read tmf and found this forum. the shirt market seems saturated but i think i found niche thats blowing up right now and i can offer some things others dont so im going with it still despite it breaking the entry commandment

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
At least once a month someone comes on here and asks almost the same question about the t-shirt biz... Weird.. Seems like a lot of people want to jump on that bandwagon.....

I'd say this is because young guys like tee-shirts. It becomes more a love-affair for them. They love their teeshirts and the companies they promote by wearing them. So, in turn, they decide to go into business and "do what they love". A big no no according to TMF .

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Personally if you think you can make it then do it, get 100 t-shirts made in the design and quality that you think will sell. Worst case scenario is you lose all your money $800? depends on marketing.

Most likely you will atleast break even or 80% of your money back on the deal and you will learn the ropes.

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
@tafy is right. Try it. Start with a test sample and see how it goes. Keep it mind that automation is key. The more you automate the less time spent working "in" the business. Automation + Sales = Free Time

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.