• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Cal Newport podcast: Digital Minimalism

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by Andy Black, Feb 10, 2019 at 4:22 AM.

1. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $174,765
    Kinda scary what we’re doing to ourselves and our kids:

http://www.tropicalmba.com/calnewport2/

What’s your biggest takeaways?

What will you do differently going forward?

2. PureA

PureA Winners never quit Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,317
    I am huge on this topic at the moment! Big fan of Cal Newport. I was counting down the days to his recent book launch.

(with help from Atomic Habits) I have set up my whole life to avoid tech/phones and engage in more deep meaningful work (and play).

What some actionable things you can do to reduce your tech time and engage in more fulfilling activities?

- Use an alarm clock, not your phone - do not start your day by checking your phone (puts you straight into reactivity not proactivity.)
    - Use 'distraction free' chrome plugin. This blocks your youtube homepage feed, suggested videos and comments if you wish. (now you don't have to battle supercomputer algorithms who's job is to keep you watching) - this probably saves me 2 hours a day.
    - Facebook news feed eradicator plugin (no fb newsfeed)
    - Delete iMessage from your mac. (or at least switch off notifications and close the app)
    - Delete social from your phone.
    - If you work with your phone in your field of vision, stop. Put it in another room, turn it off. Just having your phone in your field of vision has your brain working overtime to stop yourself from checking it.
    - Turn off ALL push notifications on your phone.
    - Use software (Cold Turkey Blocker) to lock my mac at 9.30pm so I have to wind down for bed (there's no way to get around it).
    - Set up greyscale (black and white screen) on your phone, your brain loses 80% of interest, its crazy!
    - Block sites on phone that you frequently derp around on (for me this is youtube/reddit)
    - Block sites/add time limits to your chrome browser with the 'wastenotime' plugin. (e.g. I get 1 min a day of facebook/whilst certain forums are perma-blocked and other sites I can only use between leisure hours).

That's all I can remember for now, il add more as they pop up.

Seems a lot? It's up to you how far you want to go. But by making these decisions ONE-TIME you literally claim pieces of your life back as a by product of an earlier decision. Certainly for me, hours a day (this adds up fast - imagine the cumulative effect over a decade).

Another guy to check out if you find this topic interesting is Tristan Harris (specifically his interview with Sam Harris)

MC Hammer, daru, RazorCut and 3 others like this.
  3. iizu

iizu Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $752
    I listened the newest TMBA podcast, and in that one he mentioned many times that we are now beyond tips, tricks and lifehacks.

Basically, you need to: Get completely rid off the digital world, face the temporary void, go out and connect with people.

[​IMG]

4. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $22,378
    Interesting podcast (not finished it yet).

For me it’s all about having things in moderation. I haven’t posted to Facebook in years. In fact I recently set up a new account so I could join some marketing related groups, and have only a very limited number of people on it (I can count them on one hand, which probably makes me look like Billy no-mates )

I use momentum for Chrome as my default home page which ties in with my daily goals. There is no news feed or anything like that.

I shut the PC down between 3 and 4pm when I leave to hit the gym. It doesn’t go back on till the morning.

My daily gym session and sauna afterwards removes any stress the day may have created.

I don’t feel overwhelmed by technology nor do I feel a slave to it.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.