The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying and Selling Locally Craigslist

whatsappstart

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 21, 2019
Anyone here involved with buying and selling?

I'm currently making $10k+ monthly buying/selling phones using offerup, craigslist, facebook, etc.

I was on the search of more products to sell and I came across this forum.
Anyone have any suggestions on what they flip?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phil K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Dec 29, 2016
Massachusetts
How are you making such a good return? Is there any one phone and/or model you're looking for specifically? And do you have better luck specifically buying on one platform and selling on another?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You think the profit on phones is high? You should try selling them and see all the liability! You can't go in to phone sales half stepping it. It's a very complicated business. If whatsappstart can make $10k from selling phones, whatsappstart can sell anything!

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
How do you make sure you are buying low enough to make profit? How do you check if the phones imei is black listed or stolen? Which type of devices are you searching and buying? How much profit % are you making on average?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
A close friend does this, makes a few thousand a month. I did this for my own hobbies, buying/selling whatever it was I'm into at the time. He does it for ANYTHING he knows that can make money, that isn't clothes or books. Since I have familiarity with it and a passing interest in the flip (I love American Pickers!), we talk a lot about his side hustle.

The way to find out what makes money in a flip is to just know what stuff goes for. Research ebay/Craigslist/Amazon relentlessly. Come across something interesting? Look it up. Eventually you develop expertise in various niches and categories and can tell on the spot if you can make money on something.

For example, I was a serious amateur photographer at one point. I researched everything about lenses. I purchased my lenses used so I had to be very familiar with prices. It got to the point where I could browse my Craigslist and instantly tell if a lens was being sold for well under price, and if I could snag the lens I would then sell it on Ebay or through niche camera forums for profit.

Fun story. I once saw a lens that was criminally underpriced. I reached out, but was too late. I then saw the lens listed AGAIN, clearly from the new buyer, for a slightly higher price. Still a good deal, so I reached out. Missed out again. Then I saw the lens listed on a camera forum (from the last buyer) for an even HIGHER price. It was nuts. I was probably the only person who saw the entire journey of that lens through Craigslist and then on the forum.

My friend has done this with basically any household item you can think of that is not clothes or books. Tools? Appliances? Toys? I actually consult him on a regular basis when I want to buy something used to see if I'm being ripped off hard.

Pick a category. Become expert on prices. Seek out deals and snag. Flip.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
A close friend does this, makes a few thousand a month. I did this for my own hobbies, buying/selling whatever it was I'm into at the time. He does it for ANYTHING he knows that can make money, that isn't clothes or books. Since I have familiarity with it and a passing interest in the flip (I love American Pickers!), we talk a lot about his side hustle.

The way to find out what makes money in a flip is to just know what stuff goes for. Research ebay/Craigslist/Amazon relentlessly. Come across something interesting? Look it up. Eventually you develop expertise in various niches and categories and can tell on the spot if you can make money on something.

For example, I was a serious amateur photographer at one point. I researched everything about lenses. I purchased my lenses used so I had to be very familiar with prices. It got to the point where I could browse my Craigslist and instantly tell if a lens was being sold for well under price, and if I could snag the lens I would then sell it on Ebay or through niche camera forums for profit.

Fun story. I once saw a lens that was criminally underpriced. I reached out, but was too late. I then saw the lens listed AGAIN, clearly from the new buyer, for a slightly higher price. Still a good deal, so I reached out. Missed out again. Then I saw the lens listed on a camera forum (from the last buyer) for an even HIGHER price. It was nuts. I was probably the only person who saw the entire journey of that lens through Craigslist and then on the forum.

My friend has done this with basically any household item you can think of that is not clothes or books. Tools? Appliances? Toys? I actually consult him on a regular basis when I want to buy something used to see if I'm being ripped off hard.

Pick a category. Become expert on prices. Seek out deals and snag. Flip.

But.... for the people thinking about doing this..... don't buy something for $3 and flip it locally for $20 and think you made a great profit of $17. While you can do this at first, if you don't have any money..... work your way up to the $100-$200 item that you can make a minimum $100 profit on. Once you start making $100 profit on items, you might have a side hustle that will soon over-take your regular job if you work a regular job. By the time you bring $15 an hour home, you make maybe $500 a week...... just think of making only 5 sales at $100 profit a week. But on the flip side.... no pun intended.... if you are going to go in to phones, you better know your stuff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.