The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy a float tank. Change your life.

handog

Believing Is Seeing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 3, 2018
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I've never tried this but am going to now - thanks for the post. I have some meditation audio I'd love to try in a tank. Too bad they don't make submersible bluetooth earbuds. I've done the silva mind control method before and it would be interesting to see how this combines.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I've never tried this but am going to now - thanks for the post. I have some meditation audio I'd love to try in a tank. Too bad they don't make submersible bluetooth earbuds. I've done the silva mind control method before and it would be interesting to see how this combines.

The tanks have speakers, whether or not you could play your own audio if you were renting one for an hour though I’m not sure

Jm10k

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 16, 2019
Bronx, NY
They are all over NYC. There's an older gentleman that apparently rents one out at his apartment downtown Manhattan.
I gotta try this!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I am late to this thread but I float religiously once a week, for mind and body.

Back when I was 19, I obliterated the L4-L5 disc in my back resulting in permanent nerve damage. I had spinal decompression surgery when I was 21 and couldn't really walk until I was 25 again. Sitting at 29, I now snowboard and surf again, but my favorite thing is being able to walk around Costco completely pain free.

Last year I slipped 8 discs in my back wakeboarding. I booted it to flats once and was crippled in pain again. My doctor did what they did before and suggested I take a full dose of Oxy Codone to kill the pain. Instead, I continued with my physical therapy program and took up floating twice a week. Three months later, I went in for another MRI and confirmed I had completely healed all 8 disc slips and was free of sciatica. My theory was that taking the pressure off of my spine would allow for natural decompression. Apparently, it worked.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Last year I slipped 8 discs in my back wakeboarding. I booted it to flats once and was crippled in pain again. My doctor did what they did before and suggested I take a full dose of Oxy Codone to kill the pain. Instead, I continued with my physical therapy program and took up floating twice a week. Three months later, I went in for another MRI and confirmed I had completely healed all 8 disc slips and was free of sciatica. My theory was that taking the pressure off of my spine would allow for natural decompression. Apparently, it worked.

I thought float tanks were bullshit, but tried one once. My back hurt a lot before the session, didn't hurt after.

I'm still skeptical, but not as much as before.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I get cold very easily and my body temp is below average. Am I going to be comfortable in there or cold? I know it's suppose to = my body temp, but I suspect I'll be cold. I take showers with boiling water. :p

i have the exact same problem with body temp, do you found some solutions to get "warmer" besides hot showers ?

btw: did someone buy the ZEN tent?

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I built a float tank many years ago; it helt temperature by electric heating as I adjusted it. After some years, noone used it no more. I put it away than!

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
I've been floating a couple of times now. It's a neat experience, but I found it a little gimmicky. Both times I ended up just falling asleep because it really is that relaxing once you get the hang of it, but I can do that at home for free.

There are probably some therapeutic benefits to it for those with injuries, so there's value there, and the sensory deprivation part could aid in one's meditation.

The float place I go to recently introduced "couples tanks" where two people can fit in one tank. I don't know how that would work in practice since there's not much you can do in there other than talk (unless you like getting that super salt water all over your face and stuff).

Still I think it's something everyone should try at least once to see if it has benefit for them. If nothing else it lets you say that you've tried it.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I've tried it twice and still unsure. I really wanted to like it. I meditate frequently and find it quite easy to calm my mind, however in the tank I just couldn't seem to relax and go with it.

Probably need to try again.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I've tried it twice and still unsure. I really wanted to like it. I meditate frequently and find it quite easy to calm my mind, however in the tank I just couldn't seem to relax and go with it.

Probably need to try again.
what kind of meditation u do?

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
So I have a chance to buy a float tank from a gym that is expanding and they are throwing in 500 of the most recent float clients as well... $5000 bucks total, wonder if I can put it in another gym and lease it out to them.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Found out the other day there’s one down the road from me, going to give it a try in the next few weeks!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My experience with a float tank was interesting but negative.

When I meditate, I do it in a dark room in silence and I focus on being present, feeling my body, and experiencing the moment. You cannot be "present" and also be in your thoughts because thoughts place awareness in the past or the future. You either ruminate over things that happened, or you speculate about what's to come.

Float tanks are not designed to support being present. Float tanks are designed for sensory deprivation. The problem with sensory deprivation is that it removes the elements necessary to be anchored in the present, and leaves you alone in your mind with your thoughts. If racing thoughts are a problem for you, then this does not solve the problem, it amplifies it. At least, that's what happened for me.

While floating in that tank, all I could do was think about how annoying it was. How long I had left before I could exit and feel I got my money's worth. Why I chose to do this annoying salty bath in the first place. And then there were all of the other normal racing thoughts that wouldn't go away.

Afterward, I reflected on the experience and concluded that float tanks are probably a valid option for those who are more emotionally- or physically-oriented, but aren't a good relaxation tool for analytical types who already struggle to get out of their heads. To solve that problem, you need to be anchored in the present. You'd be better off washing the dishes or going for a run to clear your mind.

This only speaks to the mental aspect. I have no experience with float tanks for other purposes such as physical healing.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
While floating in that tank, all I could do was think about how annoying it was. How long I had left before I could exit and feel I got my money's worth. Why I chose to do this annoying salty bath in the first place. And then there were all of the other normal racing thoughts that wouldn't go away.

I'd say this is normal the first time. I only did it three times but my second session was waaaay better than the first one because it was no longer a strange experience to me. The third one was again worse because I could hear traffic outside and couldn't relax - which proves that, at least for me, sensory deprivation is helpful.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I recently learned there's a floating center in my city. They actually opened the center last year but it seems like the lockdowns and/or their marketing skills prevented me from learning about them (and they're located in a building I usually pass a few times a week).

It was my first float after two years and by far the most unpleasant one. Perhaps I was too tired after an almost 3-hour long swim before, I might have been dehydrated a little, or floating after a 20+ hour fast isn't a good idea (or a combination of the factors).

Either way, the humidity was so high that for roughly the second half of the session I was suffocating. There were a few times where I thought I wouldn't be able to withstand it any longer but I somehow managed to spend the entire 90 minutes in the tank. Throughout the entire session my heartbeat was also very elevated (and you hear it beating all the freaking time and it feels like you're about to have a heart attack). Needless to say, not a particularly pleasant experience.

I never had such trouble breathing before. I may try again just to see if it was me having a bad day or if it's something wrong with their tank setup.

SPM_ENT

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Aug 1, 2017
Los Angeles

Check link....

I think this is an incredible fastlane tool.

I started floating about 3 months ago(at float centres) and I just purchased a float tank and use it for relaxation, problem solving and creativity.

Best 22k CAD that I've ever spent.

I can't even begin to explain the benefits.

It will change your life.

This is for athletes, for business minded people, for psychonauts.

The self improvements to me far surpasses mediation. It puts u in the theta state and keeps you there without falling asleep.

This is the state where your mind is most receptive.
Used for super learning, self improvement and many other things

They say one hour in the tank is like 5 hrs sleep.

The relaxation I can't even explain. The stress relief is incredible. This is a great tool.

Croman

I've been floating for about 2 years now on and off. I go to "Just float" in Pasadena. I've tried a few other places all around LA but I like Just Float the best. Originally I started with meditation classes then moved into floating.
I'm glad I started with the meditation it was helpful for jumping into floating.

Floating was extremely helpful when things were chaotic in my life. I go in relax and my brain figures everything out for me as if it were a separate entity.

The first few times I went I had visions of meeting my future self, sitting/laying across from the devil himself, drifting through space and time, it was awesome!

Lately, now that things in my life are more decided and there is a clear path I've found it a bit boring. I'm considering taking an edible next time but maybe I should start with caffeine

Have you or anyone else had this experience?

Also, how is the solution for your hair? Negative side effects from soaking in it?

Side note: Anyone else have a scratching noise in their brain? At first, I thought it was a bug but have since convinced myself it's sinus noises.

o.jpg

Croaker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jul 21, 2020
UK
Have nothing of value to add except an observation from a non-user that from the sidelines, it looks like float tanks are a fad.

Never used one as I've mentioned, but I remember hearing about them a decade ago as this new way of relaxing and thinking and then the conversation just slowly withered away.

Though even then my dad mentioned that there was a time in the 90s when they were also popular, but never had legs to stay.

McAdam

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 11, 2022
Canary Islands
@ChrisV and I mentioned some of Ekhardt Tolle's work which is the idea that our REAL SELF is suffocated by what's called the EGO.

I had the privilege of meeting ET Several times when I was living in Berlin (close friend of the crowd I was hanging around with)
His work is epic at "translating" old philosophies into western ideologies. Nothing is ever technically "New" - its just shared from a different perspective.
If you think spirituality is "Mumbo Jumbo" then look at his work from a scientific point of view!

------

For float tanks; I have never experienced one - but have found a local one (will require a day trip :( )
BUT
For entering the Theta state of mind, its the most epic thing ever!

Ever had a "Shower thought" - that was the Theta state of mind.
Ever been driving on the highway and your mind is going somewhere else? Theta!

Theta state of mind differs significantly from what we in the west call "Meditation".
What's actually taught here is a subtype of Zazen Meditation - a clearing of the mind to not process thoughts and be fully in the moment.
But this is just one subtype of the many types of meditation.
(Source; I spent 1 year in a Spiritual retreat following and learning about many budhist practices which is where I met ET)
Some people will teach to process thoughts, which is closer to theta than zazen!

Theta state is often the complete opposite of zazen - its about not feeling your body at all(even breath), clearing your senses, switching off from the current moment and not being present - Its like being absent :)
Zazen teaches to let thoughts come and go like a butterfly.
Theta teaches to let thoughts come, stay as long as it wants and go wild like kids playing in a field.

When the mind is no longer processing all the signals from the world, its able to go wild (wildness can be amplified by other substances)!

I like to think of it as "Switching off your consciousness, to observe your sub consciousness".

One amazing boost tip for a productive theta session; before starting, choose a challenge, problem or idea - make this your theme/aim/intention.
Enter the shower, highway or tank and start to think about a solution - slowly slowly let your thoughts wander and go wild!

p.s. my water and gas bills are wastefully high because I use both regularly to enter the Theta state.

Rafael Gervásio

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2020

Check link....

I think this is an incredible fastlane tool.

I started floating about 3 months ago(at float centres) and I just purchased a float tank and use it for relaxation, problem solving and creativity.

Best 22k CAD that I've ever spent.

I can't even begin to explain the benefits.

It will change your life.

This is for athletes, for business minded people, for psychonauts.

The self improvements to me far surpasses mediation. It puts u in the theta state and keeps you there without falling asleep.

This is the state where your mind is most receptive.
Used for super learning, self improvement and many other things

They say one hour in the tank is like 5 hrs sleep.

The relaxation I can't even explain. The stress relief is incredible. This is a great tool.

Croman
I don't have the money right now, but I'll for sure try this in the future.

Thanks!

Mavsen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 5, 2022
Mexico City
This sounds super interesting. I love meditating, but going this deep does sound like something incredible.

I'll try this out for sure. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Financial_Femme

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 11, 2023
I've seen a gradual rise in clinics/spas and holistic retreats offering this in our area, always been intrigued.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.