The lady and I were at a restaurant for lunch today.
There was a homeless guy outside, sitting by a telephone pole with some poorly drawn "artwork". I should note that he was young, able-bodied, clean-shaven, and wearing clean clothes.
The guy mumbled something about wanting to draw us a picture for 2 dollars. I had (an untouched) half of a veggie burger wrapped up with me.
Me: Hey, here's half a veggie burger.
Sidewalk Guy: What's in it?
Me: It's a veggie burger.
He starts picking through the thing with a disgusted look on his face. Not a single thank you, nothing.
Sidewalk Guy (in a shockingly condescending tone): Yeah, but can I have two dollars?
This kind of thing has happened LITERALLY EVERY TIME I have given food to a homeless person on the street. Not once has there been a simple thank you. Always some kind of attitude.
Now, you might counter that he was mentally ill or a drug addict, which is certainly possible. But he was certainly sane/sober enough to hang out by the beach and make snarky comments to strangers.
I don't know. It just really hammers home the idea that your circumstances are a result of your mindset more than anything else. If you think people just owe you money for nothing (or for your shitty drawings), you're going to have a bad life.
The incident also reminded me of this, from the 48 Laws Of Power---
Law 13
When Asking for Help, Appeal to People’s Self-Interest, Never to Their Mercy or Gratitude.
There was a homeless guy outside, sitting by a telephone pole with some poorly drawn "artwork". I should note that he was young, able-bodied, clean-shaven, and wearing clean clothes.
The guy mumbled something about wanting to draw us a picture for 2 dollars. I had (an untouched) half of a veggie burger wrapped up with me.
Me: Hey, here's half a veggie burger.
Sidewalk Guy: What's in it?
Me: It's a veggie burger.
He starts picking through the thing with a disgusted look on his face. Not a single thank you, nothing.
Sidewalk Guy (in a shockingly condescending tone): Yeah, but can I have two dollars?
This kind of thing has happened LITERALLY EVERY TIME I have given food to a homeless person on the street. Not once has there been a simple thank you. Always some kind of attitude.
Now, you might counter that he was mentally ill or a drug addict, which is certainly possible. But he was certainly sane/sober enough to hang out by the beach and make snarky comments to strangers.
I don't know. It just really hammers home the idea that your circumstances are a result of your mindset more than anything else. If you think people just owe you money for nothing (or for your shitty drawings), you're going to have a bad life.
The incident also reminded me of this, from the 48 Laws Of Power---
Law 13
When Asking for Help, Appeal to People’s Self-Interest, Never to Their Mercy or Gratitude.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
