The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business cards...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I'm looking to get some business cards but I'm having trouble finding a great printer online. I want a business card that is very unique and that stands out among others. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Andrew

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hit the Google links below your post and make me some bread!! Ha Ha ... my advice: Don't go cheap. Cheap business cards ... well ... look cheap.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
you can get all sorts of unique stuff these days. i got thermographed cards. you can get pearlecent cards you can get anything these days. be creative and it will stand out

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Generally, if you have the budget for it, do not go to a place that advertises themselves as a "great one stop internet business card shop"...they're the printers who may "specialize" in printing business cards, but it may be because they don't get work printing other things.

Go to a regular printer (open your phone book) and talk with them. Are you just looking to fill your name in a form online and receive a box of cards in the mail? Or are you taking getting business cards seriously? If that's the case, you need to get them designed and then printed by a real print shop.

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
OK, I'm going to throw in my .02 on this subject....

90% of business cards hit the trash within the first day. Don't blow a huge amount of $ on having the most elaborate cards made because you are literally throwing money away.
Keep it Simple and Clean!
Card's are only a small part ( and the most expendable item ) of marketing and should be kept simple with only basic information as those few that are kept will be placed in a roll-a-dex and used strictly for contact information.

When was the last time you compared cards side by side to choose who you were going to use?.....
The card is for contact information, thats it. Save your money for better marketing material that will actually get you business.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
OK, I'm going to throw in my .02 on this subject....

90% of business cards hit the trash within the first day. Don't blow a huge amount of $ on having the most elaborate cards made because you are literally throwing money away.
Keep it Simple and Clean!
Card's are only a small part ( and the most expendable item ) of marketing and should be kept simple with only basic information as those few that are kept will be placed in a roll-a-dex and used strictly for contact information.

When was the last time you compared cards side by side to choose who you were going to use?.....
The card is for contact information, thats it. Save your money for better marketing material that will actually get you business.

That number highly varies on wehter or not you are B2B or B2C. that is not a standard number

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Interesting how this could go both ways... I wonder where that threshold is. How unique (expensive) does a card have to be to stay out of the garbage can?

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Interesting how this could go both ways... I wonder where that threshold is. How unique (expensive) does a card have to be to stay out of the garbage can?

In my experience, there are 3 classes of cards that get noticed:

1. The extremely unique cards - unconventional size, plastic (see-through), etc.

2. The extremely cheap cards - Have perforated edges from your home printer, look generic, mis-spelled words, etc.

3. Cards from someone that you know you will need to contact.

I have been told that bold colors are the way to go because, if done right, it doesn't look cheesy AND it stands out. However, my cards are the opposite: off-white linen stock, simple design, small logo.

Now that I look back, and I know this isn't "correct," but I will typically look down at someone if their cards are too cheap looking, but I won't think better of the person that has the over-the-top expensive cards.

The task of keeping the card out of the garbage is the job of the person who's name is on the card. I don't believe that someone will use my services if my card looks better than the next guy's, they will use my services because of me.

In my opinion, the business card is one small part of your corporate identity/image and like most things, a good card typically goes unnoticed, but a poor/sloppy card brings unneeded negative attention.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
One of the coolest marketing tools I found as a Financial Planner was Imediapro Multimedia Cards.

These are full blown documentaries, commercials, and testimonials on you or your business. They also offer a great tracking/marketing program that lets you know when someone watches your "card" and gives you immediate follow up opportunities.

However, these will set you back a chunk of change, so the payoff needs to be there.

The guys that used these had a huge advantage over someone handing them a paper card.

Lance

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Legacy Dad,

I can't tell from the website but is it the size of a business card? I've only come across one of those. It was the size of a business card and the front looked like the regular business card, very plain but you popped it in your computer. I'm going to have to see if I can dig up that card now and take a closer look!

Syphonius

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 14, 2008
Oregon
Legacy Dad,

I can't tell from the website but is it the size of a business card? I've only come across one of those. It was the size of a business card and the front looked like the regular business card, very plain but you popped it in your computer. I'm going to have to see if I can dig up that card now and take a closer look!

You may be thinking of those business card mini-CDs: size/shape of a business card but could actually play in (most) CD drives. I've only seen one of those and it's been years. Would be neat if they made a comeback...

Cmbilt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 25, 2008
VistaPrint.com has the best deals on quality business cards. If you have your own logo you can upload it and print those on any kind of card, I used glossy. Word of advice, go quality on business cards. First impressions lager on the business card you give someone.

Tyler Davis
www.cmbilt.com

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
My dad had those mini CDs for his start up a decade ago. Where have they gone? I like linen with raised black lettering. (see also Patrick Bateman) And your NAME should be the largest print on the card (centered), not the company name.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I think vista print is pretty good too but their shipping and handling prices are a rip off. Does it cost that much to ship and handle cards?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.