Hey everyone.
It has been a while since I initially posted and introduced myself and in those 4 years, I have grown so much from a personal standpoint.
This post will be a bit more of an introduction post to catch up to the current day and following that my plan for the year.
I plan on posting update posts once a week and chatting in between if people are here.
Introduction (part 2)
Business overview
I run an accountancy practice with myself as the sole employee. Last year I turned over £25,000 and won a couple of new clients for myself. Towards the end of the year, I let the work get on top of me and was consistently running right up to the client deadlines.
Plan for 2021
Overall goals:
It has been a while since I initially posted and introduced myself and in those 4 years, I have grown so much from a personal standpoint.
This post will be a bit more of an introduction post to catch up to the current day and following that my plan for the year.
I plan on posting update posts once a week and chatting in between if people are here.
Introduction (part 2)
I was one of those kids who *wanted* to be an accountant because he loved numbers and money… I took an accounting course in college alongside business studies as well because I always thought I would want to run my own business.
I tried just hard enough to get B’s throughout college whilst also spending a lot of time on football manager. The night before results day I told my family I wouldn’t be going to university and I wanted to go straight into work.
Through a friend, I managed to get into a top 10 accounting firm in the UK. I flew through the AAT course level 3 and level 4 completing these in 6 months each and then went straight onto the ACCA course. I finally became exam qualified in January 2020 before resigning from ACCA the day after receiving my exam results.
In 2018, I tried something different with web design with Fox (which failed for a couple of reasons, I didn’t put the effort in to generate sales, introvert, and also I don’t have a creative bone in my body right now). Following this, I moved to a team of management accountants, where it solidified what I wanted to be doing (working with business owners throughout the year rather than just at the year-end). In 2019 I got a new job with a tax specialist dealing with landlords who I knew from my time at the top 10 firm. This taught me a lot about the accounting/tax side of property investment, which is also something I have been wanting to get into when money allows.
In 2019 I also married the love of my life after just short of 10 years together we finally got married. The day was special and I would live it over and over if I could.
In January 2020 we decided to end the employer/employee relationship but continue on as a subcontractor. I would handle the accounts/personal tax for his clients while taking a % of the revenue. This was a win for me as it meant a fairly low-risk entry into being my own boss. It turns out, it also made me lazy as I didn’t take many risks and mostly just went along with the clients passed along and the work I was doing for him without trying to grow my own business.
In September 2020 we welcomed our baby daughter into the world, who is just the most amazing little girl I could ever have hoped for and has given me a renewed sense of purpose for my business.
So here we are at the start of 2021 - with the personal tax deadline at the end of this month.
I tried just hard enough to get B’s throughout college whilst also spending a lot of time on football manager. The night before results day I told my family I wouldn’t be going to university and I wanted to go straight into work.
Through a friend, I managed to get into a top 10 accounting firm in the UK. I flew through the AAT course level 3 and level 4 completing these in 6 months each and then went straight onto the ACCA course. I finally became exam qualified in January 2020 before resigning from ACCA the day after receiving my exam results.
In 2018, I tried something different with web design with Fox (which failed for a couple of reasons, I didn’t put the effort in to generate sales, introvert, and also I don’t have a creative bone in my body right now). Following this, I moved to a team of management accountants, where it solidified what I wanted to be doing (working with business owners throughout the year rather than just at the year-end). In 2019 I got a new job with a tax specialist dealing with landlords who I knew from my time at the top 10 firm. This taught me a lot about the accounting/tax side of property investment, which is also something I have been wanting to get into when money allows.
In 2019 I also married the love of my life after just short of 10 years together we finally got married. The day was special and I would live it over and over if I could.
In January 2020 we decided to end the employer/employee relationship but continue on as a subcontractor. I would handle the accounts/personal tax for his clients while taking a % of the revenue. This was a win for me as it meant a fairly low-risk entry into being my own boss. It turns out, it also made me lazy as I didn’t take many risks and mostly just went along with the clients passed along and the work I was doing for him without trying to grow my own business.
In September 2020 we welcomed our baby daughter into the world, who is just the most amazing little girl I could ever have hoped for and has given me a renewed sense of purpose for my business.
So here we are at the start of 2021 - with the personal tax deadline at the end of this month.
Business overview
I run an accountancy practice with myself as the sole employee. Last year I turned over £25,000 and won a couple of new clients for myself. Towards the end of the year, I let the work get on top of me and was consistently running right up to the client deadlines.
Plan for 2021
Overall goals:
- 50% revenue increase from £25,000 to £37,500.
- 10 new ongoing monthly clients based on Q2 rebrand.
- Automate/Outsource as much admin as possible.
Quarterly targets
Q1 - get at least 3 months ahead of accounting deadlines and have all June deadlines under control/finalised by 31st March 2021.
Q2 - rebrand the business into a business offering bookkeeping and management accounts for landlords offering ongoing support.
Q3 - take-on my first bookkeeper to manage the new clients bookkeeping (how many clients can a bookkeeper handle)
Q4 - publish an ebook/course on bookkeeping for landlords to target the landlords who are not using my service and also build credibility for my business.
Thank you for getting this far, and I am happy to chat with anybody that is here and reading and I hope you enjoy the journey with me. If anybody has any tips along the way, please feel free to post them, I am always looking to learn more.
Brad
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
