The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a thriving art business

Nick Moody

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 18, 2020
Germany
Hi everyone!

I’m Nick and I’m very happy to have joined this forum now.
I’ve read TMF and UNSCRIPTED about two years ago during a time I should have been happiest, but was miserable and desperately looking for a change instead.

I’m starting to make things happen now finally.

I’ve been lurking around here every once in a while, but never really thought I could contribute to it in any way, so I never signed up.
The value in this forum is priceless and I feel honoured being part of it now.

So here’s what happened so far.

I grew up safely in a rural area of Germany. My parents weren’t rich by any means but we had no financial issues. I always was highly creative and I knew early that I wanted to be some kind of artist when I grow up.

Even though I got lots of support from my parents, you can imagine “being an artist” isn’t something feasible in this society. So I ended up doing “the next best thing”, which was becoming a Graphic Designer. I worked freelance here and there for a few years. It was interesting and all, but I didn’t feel that was it for me.
As I was floating through life, without any idea of where I was going really, I started studying Design Management. I knew I needed to form a career somehow that would allow me to be financially independent at some point.
Little did I realise how Slowlane my career path was.
During that time my mom passed away after fighting cancer for 16 months. An event that really forced me to rethink life and what I’m trying to do with it.

I started learning about self-improvement and became very interested in minimalism and backpacking. I sold all my stuff out of my student apartment, learned what material things i needed, graduated university, and took off to travel indefinitely.

For two years I lived, worked and traveled on and off in Canada and the States and fell in love with the nature and the people.
I had the time of my life. I was living freely and could do what I wanted.

While I was working in a ski resort in BC, a friend and I bought an old motorhome, renovated it in our spare time to then travel down the west coast.

But something was missing. I wasn’t pursuing anything of value. I was chasing short term happiness.

When I got back home to Germany I felt as lost as never before.

A traded back a life of freedom and possibilities for a life of mediocrity, surrounded by Slowlane people. At least that was what it felt like to me.

I didn’t know what to do about it. I just knew I wanted to be free, in any way imaginable.
But I never started seriously pursuing my entrepreneurial ideas.

I was reading hundreds of books about business and entrepreneurship, but instead of acting on it I kept running away.

I lived in Austria, Canada, Germany, and New Zealand, doing all kinds of odd jobs. I did everything that would give me the feeling of freedom. But deep down I knew I wasn’t free. Not at all. I was wasting a lot of potential and I knew I wasn’t going to be happy when looking back onto my life someday.

I was reading TMF – and UNSCRIPTED immediately after – during my travels in New Zealand. I was blown away. Everything made so much sense out of a sudden.
Then I looked at myself. Living in a tent. It was pouring rain out. I couldn’t enjoy this beautiful country because I had to work the crappiest job in a vineyard for minimum wage to buy food. That wasn’t it. That wasn’t freedom. That was an illusion of freedom at best.

It only took one more year and a worldwide pandemic to realise I needed to give it a go. No more options to run away. I was forced to stay home and work it out.
I always wanted to be a professional artist and I had the necessary skills to build upon.

So I decided to get back into it. I set goals for myself and finally started painting again. Murals are my thing, so I invested in material and tools and just went for it. I realised I can decide if I want to believe in the starving artist mindset or build a viable business utilising my skills.

I finally made it out of my analysis paralysis. All it took was the first step. New doors are opening.

And now? Things are starting to unfold slowly for me. I put myself and my work out there. I got my first commissions.
At the moment I’m working on a few spray painting commissions together with someone who’s already quite successful in the industry.
I’m learning a lot from him and I’m very thankful he’s having me as his assistant for this project.

I also do have a day job that’s pretty chill though. It allows me to not worry about paying my bills. I can take days off whenever I need time to work on my business or do commissions.

I’m not making constantly good money with my business yet, but I learned I can’t take any shortcuts. I need to build up slowly but steadily. I’m going in the right direction and I enjoy the process.

My business is controllable (I’m my own boss), there is an entry barrier (skill and contacts), and there is a need (I’m starting to get more and more inquiries).
But it isn’t a productocracy yet.
I exchange time for money. And I cannot scale it up unless I hire someone. But I’d prefer to not deal with employees.

Ideas to make it a productocracy:

• Art Prints
  • Book
  • Online Course
  • Building a platform for mural artists to find jobs / Consumers to find artists
  • Open a gallery
  • Building a tool making the artist’s work easier

Well, long way to go!

Looking forward to everyone following along and hoping to be of value to other people in this forum in the future.

That’s the first time I'm writing all of this down.
Thanks for reading!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Nick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi everyone!

I’ve read TMF and UNSCRIPTED about two years ago during a time I should have been happiest, but was miserable and desperately looking for a change instead.

I’ve been lurking around here every once in a while, but never really thought I could contribute to it in any way, so I never signed up.

I grew up safely in a rural area of Germany. My parents weren’t rich by any means but we had no financial issues. I always was highly creative and I knew early that I wanted to be some kind of artist when I grow up.

Even though I got lots of support from my parents, you can imagine “being an artist” isn’t something feasible in this society. So I ended up doing “the next best thing”, which was becoming a Graphic Designer. I worked freelance here and there for a few years. It was interesting and all, but I didn’t feel that was it for me.
As I was floating through life, without any idea of where I was going really, I started studying Design Management. I knew I needed to form a career somehow that would allow me to be financially independent at some point.
During that time my mom passed away after fighting cancer for 16 months. An event that really forced me to rethink life and what I’m trying to do with it.

I started learning about self-improvement and became very interested in minimalism and backpacking. I sold all my stuff out of my student apartment, learned what material things i needed, graduated university, and took off to travel indefinitely.

For two years I lived, worked and traveled on and off in Canada and the States and fell in love with the nature and the people.

While I was working in a ski resort in BC, a friend and I bought an old motorhome, renovated it in our spare time to then travel down the west coast.

But something was missing. I wasn’t pursuing anything of value. I was chasing short term happiness.

A traded back a life of freedom and possibilities for a life of mediocrity, surrounded by Slowlane people. At least that was what it felt like to me.

I didn’t know what to do about it. I just knew I wanted to be free, in any way imaginable.

I was reading hundreds of books about business and entrepreneurship, but instead of acting on it I kept running away.

I lived in Austria, Canada, Germany, and New Zealand, doing all kinds of odd jobs. I did everything that would give me the feeling of freedom. But deep down I knew I wasn’t free. Not at all. I was wasting a lot of potential and I knew I wasn’t going to be happy when looking back onto my life someday.

I was reading TMF – and UNSCRIPTED immediately after – during my travels in New Zealand. I was blown away. Everything made so much sense out of a sudden.
Then I looked at myself. Living in a tent. It was pouring rain out. I couldn’t enjoy this beautiful country because I had to work the crappiest job in a vineyard for minimum wage to buy food. That wasn’t it. That wasn’t freedom. That was an illusion of freedom at best.

It only took one more year and a worldwide pandemic to realise I needed to give it a go. No more options to run away. I was forced to stay home and work it out.
I always wanted to be a professional artist and I had the necessary skills to build upon.

So I decided to get back into it. I set goals for myself and finally started painting again. Murals are my thing, so I invested in material and tools and just went for it. I realised I can decide if I want to believe in the starving artist mindset or build a viable business utilising my skills.

I finally made it out of my analysis paralysis. All it took was the first step. New doors are opening.

And now? Things are starting to unfold slowly for me. I put myself and my work out there. I got my first commissions.
At the moment I’m working on a few spray painting commissions together with someone who’s already quite successful in the industry.
I’m learning a lot from him and I’m very thankful he’s having me as his assistant for this project.

I also do have a day job that’s pretty chill though. It allows me to not worry about paying my bills. I can take days off whenever I need time to work on my business or do commissions.

I’m not making constantly good money with my business yet, but I learned I can’t take any shortcuts. I need to build up slowly but steadily. I’m going in the right direction and I enjoy the process.

My business is controllable (I’m my own boss), there is an entry barrier (skill and contacts), and there is a need (I’m starting to get more and more inquiries).
I exchange time for money. And I cannot scale it up unless I hire someone. But I’d prefer to not deal with employees.

• Art Prints
  • Book
  • Online Course
  • Building a platform for mural artists to find jobs / Consumers to find artists
  • Open a gallery

Well, long way to go!

Looking forward to everyone following along and hoping to be of value to other people in this forum in the future.

Thanks for reading!

Nick
Hey Nick, welcome to the forum!

Dont worry about the time for money thing for now.
Just keep working at your business, and eventually you`ll figure out a way to take your time out of the ecuacion.
I`m willing to bet that the idea on how to do that will come as a lightning strike.

Nick Moody

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 18, 2020
Germany
Hey Nick, welcome to the forum!

Dont worry about the time for money thing for now.
Just keep working at your business, and eventually you`ll figure out a way to take your time out of the ecuacion.
I`m willing to bet that the idea on how to do that will come as a lightning strike.
Thank you Alex!

I'm committed to small wins now instead of trying to think it through. That almost always ends up in not taking any action at all.

I appreciate your feedback!

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hi everyone!

• Art Prints
  • Book
  • Online Course
  • Open a gallery

Well, long way to go!

Thanks for reading!

Nick
Are you targeting domestic or commercial customers for your murals?

If you search @AgainstAllOdds he has threads about art as a business taking in some of the ideas you mentioned.
  • Art Prints
  • Book
  • Online Course
  • Open a gallery

Art is the Great Rock and Roll Swindle, in that you can charge a disproportionate amount for your time.
It's not Fastlane unless you have a name, but it is lucrative slowlane.

If you enjoy painting murals you don't have to make it Fastlane, just increase your prices proportionate to your reputation, or whatever you can charge businesses that must have a showcase mural in reception or the boardroom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick Moody

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 18, 2020
Germany
Are you targeting domestic or commercial customers for your murals?
I'm targeting commercial customers (which doesn't mean excluding domestic customers).
Commercial artwork fills more of a need than domestic art does imo. Increase appearance of your facilities -> More customers -> Increased revenue.
For domestic customers it's more of a "want" instead. You really have to gain a reputation before you can charge premium prices.

But who knows.. lots of trial and error here.

Right now I'm doing work for the municipality. Meaning public art. I'm expecting this to be one of my main pillars for income for the foreseeable future.

If you enjoy painting murals you don't have to make it Fastlane, just increase your prices proportionate to your reputation
Good point!
At some point I would like to make it Fastlane though. I want to be able to scale it up and not have to rely on my actual act of painting for income.

Thank you very much for your input, Odysseus!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...